News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Celebrate Toronto Street Festival was focused on families and communities. While the same can't be said about the Comedy Festival or Nuit Blanche which are focused on the 19+ demographics. I suspect many of you didn't enjoy it because you don't have any families yourselves. The first key word here is families, there is a severe lack of free and high quality festivals in Toronto that cater to the entire family.

The other key word is communities, the Street Festival was spread over 5 sites, It pumped millions into the local businesses and BIA's around the celebration sites over 3 days, as opposed to just one evening or one concentrated site.

I also have to remind many of you that the VERY POPULAR Summerlicious program went hand in hand with the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival. Together it was a true celebration of the best of Toronto.

The Street festival was an award winning festival that brought several international acts never seen before in Toronto and North America. It was the first major festival to program Yonge-Dundas Square, it provided a platform for local musical artists and dance groups to perform, it provided a rare opportunity to close down large portions of the world's longest street and truly celebrated the diversity of Toronto.

Finally, as I mentioned before, it was truly a Toronto event that celebrated the birth of a new city. It was not an imported pre-packed festival format from another city (Comedy Festival - Montreal, Nuit Blanche - Paris). The name of the event said it all Celebrate Toronto Street Festival.

As for nobody missing it, the public wasn't consulted and the event was quitely cancelled to support two unproven festivals. The world doesn't need another comedy festival and Luminato can easily swallow and probably do a better job of running Nuit Blanche as one of its events than the city. The city should restore funding to the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival.

Louroz

There are many free festivals all over the city that cater to families. The Celebrate Toronto Street Festival was just a variation of the many local neighbourhood festivals that go on all summer (and year round for that matter). There's at least a few going on every single weekend.

If the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival was truly the only festival of it's type in the city, then I'd miss it a lot more. The fact is, Nuit Blanche and Just for Laughs are anything but pre-packaged. They add some terrific variety to the city's festival/event scene.

As for Summerlicious, I found it overpriced and overrated. A good idea, not much value (isn't it still going on anyways?).

As I said, I'd like it back...but if given the choice, I'd easily take Nuit Blance and the Comedy Festival.

The Celebrate Toronto Street Festival was focused on families and communities. While the same can't be said about the Comedy Festival or Nuit Blanche which are focused on the 19+ demographics. I suspect many of you didn't enjoy it because you don't have any families yourselves. The first key word here is families, there is a severe lack of free and high quality festivals in Toronto that cater to the entire family.

The other key word is communities, the Street Festival was spread over 5 sites, It pumped millions into the local businesses and BIA's around the celebration sites over 3 days, as opposed to just one evening or one concentrated site.

I also have to remind many of you that the VERY POPULAR Summerlicious program went hand in hand with the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival. Together it was a true celebration of the best of Toronto.

The Street festival was an award winning festival that brought several international acts never seen before in Toronto and North America. It was the first major festival to program Yonge-Dundas Square, it provided a platform for local musical artists and dance groups to perform, it provided a rare opportunity to close down large portions of the world's longest street and truly celebrated the diversity of Toronto.

Finally, as I mentioned before, it was truly a Toronto event that celebrated the birth of a new city. It was not an imported pre-packed festival format from another city (Comedy Festival - Montreal, Nuit Blanche - Paris). The name of the event said it all Celebrate Toronto Street Festival.

As for nobody missing it, the public wasn't consulted and the event was quitely cancelled to support two unproven festivals. The world doesn't need another comedy festival and Luminato can easily swallow and probably do a better job of running Nuit Blanche as one of its events than the city. The city should restore funding to the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival.

Louroz

I brought kids and Celebrate Toronto was dull and uninspired each and every time (well, the two years I went, at least). I'm glad that you enjoyed it, so much so that you need to whip out the bold and italic type to emphasize it. But most the features you describe were not unique whatsoever to Celebrate Toronto. For something that was not an "imported pre-packed festival format", it was nonetheless truly an odd amalgam of features and events that are much better done elsewhere at other events.

And as for the "I suspect many of you didn't enjoy it because you don't have any families yourselves" comment, I am not sure why you think that. One year we even went with a bunch of families, and ended up grabbing a movie because we were so disappointed.

The Toronto Street Festival celebrated the very best of Toronto; sadly it was cancelled last year because of budget cuts and remaining funds redirected to support the new Toronto Comedy Festival (imported concept from Montreal), and the new arts festival called Nuit Blanche (imported concept from Paris – a big hit in 2006, not so much in 2007) ). The way I look at it, the city sacrificed a long established and award winning festival that celebrated itself, in favour of two unproven and imported festivals from other cities.

Louroz

That street festival was lame, Yonge Street really isn't a shut down for the weekend festival street. It's a fine parade route and shopping fair, but to close it off for street acts in small sections is just a waste of time. Nuit Blanche is probably the best festival this city has introduced over the past ten years, and as proven this year attracts huge crowds. Not to mention it costs the city very little money to hold. I'm not sure how you came up with 2006 being a big hit and not 2007. This year 800,000 people came out for the one night, i don't think the same can be said for the year before. I'd expect the numbers to top a million next year.

On a side note festivals in streets or feilds have been done around the world for ages, another import you might say.

To be honest I didn't even know it was canceled until just now. Had it been so great I'm sure I would have heard somebody gripping about it before now. When is(was) it held? in July?

We have many other street festivals to celebrate Toronto.

To be honest I didn't even know it was canceled until just now. Had it been so great I'm sure I would have heard somebody gripping about it before now. When is(was) it held? in July?

We have many other street festivals to celebrate Toronto.

I honestly thought it was the most generic of all the Festivals. It's like the other festivals that would go on around the city in various neighbourhoods, except on a larger scale with less meaning.

I wouldn't mind it back, but it needs to be revamped so it's truly unique.

Amalgamation: 10 Years Later
Controversial union promised savings – instead it set city on path to fiscal failure

January 01, 2008
Royson James
CITY HALL COLUMNIST

230b42f540cf8f1ec0abb5a9f1da.jpeg

Volunteers at the East York town centre in February 1997 were among those bitterly opposed to amalgamation.

Against great odds and in the face of trenchant hostility, the amalgamation of seven governments into one unified Toronto has survived its first decade. Barely.

Happy anniversary, megacity.

Never has a forced union been so universally detested and excoriated – every outflow, offspring or offshoot smeared with the "bastard" tag: unwanted, unloved, unappreciated. And yet, alive, if not well.

For those landed here after Jan. 1, 1998, it's impossible to comprehend the raw hatred that greeted the singularly most unpopular decision of a singularly most unpopular politician, one Mike Harris.

Led by former Toronto mayor John Sewell and his group Citizens for Local Democracy (C4LD), the opposition exploded, from 30 allies huddled at Lawrence Park Collegiate to more than 1,000 at weekly meetings.

The cities about to be banished to the woodpile of history held referendums on the same day. The province promised to ignore the results. Some 76 per cent of voters opposed merger, prompting the Star headline: "Mega No to megacity."

That night, Sewell and his forces held a triumphant rally at Massey Hall before embarking on a candlelit procession to Nathan Phillips Square, chanting "No means No."

Mayor Barbara Hall led another delegation to Queen's Park. In vain.

The cities (except North York) launched a constitutional challenge. It failed. Mike Harris cut off debate. The new city, one government from Etobicoke Creek to the Rouge River, Steeles Ave. to the lake, became law Jan. 1, 1998.

Some wounds are only now healing, 10 years later. And considering what it's been through, it's a miracle Toronto is still standing.

"It's been a real body blow to the city," says Sewell, still defiant. "I fear for the city's future."

"A disaster," adds MPP Michael Prue, East York's last mayor.

Kathleen Wynne, now education minister, was Sewell's right-hand person back then. Her analysis? "I've knocked on tens of thousands of doors since I got into provincial politics, both in 2002-2003 and 2006-2007, and I have yet to meet anyone who says they think the amalgamation of the city of Toronto was a good idea ... Maybe that's a lie. Maybe I've met two people."

What citizens remember is that taxes went up, transit fares jumped, their city hall moved downtown and they felt less connected to it.

Toronto was a likely candidate for amalgamation. But its protectors didn't see it coming.

Urbanists and planners flocked to the city to study its transit, the co-existence of its multicultural citizens and its two-tier government that thrived even as U.S. jurisdictions clung to tax-defined borders.

If anything, Toronto's intelligentsia hated the Metro government. It was big, less susceptible to ratepayer influence and had majority political representation from the suburbs of Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke.

But about three-quarters of services were already amalgamated under Metro. Citizens may have felt close to their city councillor, but it was the Metro councillor who was getting them to work on transit, sending out ambulances and police, setting the policies that helped build social cohesion.

So when Harris, fulfilling his tax-cut, less-government mandate, rode into town with a plan to eliminate a level of municipal government, it was logical to keep Metro and eliminate Scarborough, North York, York, Etobicoke and East York. The biggest fight since "Stop the Spadina Expressway" was on.

The idea did not infuriate everyone. Opponents hiss that the newspaper editorial boards and many other media were in favour. But others, like ex-mayor David Crombie, also saw value in it.

Proponents viewed amalgamation as part of a normal evolution that reduced the Toronto area to 13 municipalities by 1953, six by 1967. Others suggested one big Toronto would provide a citywide equity of services otherwise missing.

The province's position was that huge savings would be exacted. But once the entire Harris plan was unveiled – amalgamation plus a huge download of social services and an end to transit funding – opposition was cemented.

Ten years later, it's virtually impossible to determine which of Toronto's problems are the result of amalgamation, of downloading, or simply inevitable in any case.

The city talks of Queen's Park owing it $700 million to $1 billion. On the other hand, it got a $1 billion asset in Toronto Hydro, and the province took on $600 million in education costs.

What is irrefutable is that the city was set on a path to fiscal failure. Amalgamation was supposed to deliver three main benefits: savings, greater equity and more clout.

"Savings" were wrung from the system, all right: thousands of jobs cut in the first three years. But that wasn't sustainable. At the same time, more staff were hired for police and transit to cope with growth.

On equity, the megacity has been a big success, spreading the social safety net across the city. York, the poorest of the old municipalities, has benefited most.

Toronto has updated a property tax system that was outdated and unfair, and approved a progressive climate change plan that will have influence well beyond our city. The mayor's campaign for a new deal from senior governments has resonated across Canada, lending credence to Toronto's claims of clout.

But as an experiment in local democracy, merger has been a huge failure. The megacity's continued survival is a testament mainly to the efforts of a great civic workforce. Its creation was too hurried. Too much was heaped on its head.

What now? Do we de-amalgamate, as the school board is now pondering? A few diehards have always harboured such thoughts. But the former mayors and Metro chairs, except Prue, say going back is not an option. Better to have the province fix the fiscal mess by taking back social services costs and giving Toronto some breathing room.

Mayor David Miller has staked his own political survival on the province riding to the rescue.

Next spring, Ontario will release a report on reforms that might right the fiscal imbalance. Even then, it will be a challenge. Debt is manageable, but high. Residents have high expectations for enhanced services but low tolerance for higher taxes.

Twelve neighbourhood councils might be better than the four community councils we have now. And party politics would more clearly define the platform and expectations of city council.

But don't look for those changes soon. If there's no move toward de-amalgamation this council term, it's unlikely ever to find traction. By the 2010 election, more than half of the city council will be totally removed from the Metro days.

And Miller doesn't sound like a suicidal hero of the C4LD crowd. In solidifying the mayor's office and investing it with more power, he moves in the opposite direction.

Meanwhile, we can expect a slow evolution. The fight of this generation – a new deal from the province that removes social services costs – is closer than ever.

Ten years is a short time in the life of a city, too short for definitive judgment. A city-friendly provincial government has replaced one that lashed Toronto. The next 10 years can't possibly be worse.

Former mayors look back in anger
Ten years after the storm, their take on the legacy of amalgamation
January 01, 2008

MEL LASTMAN: North York mayor at amalgamation. Defeated Barbara Hall to become megacity's first mayor. Retired in 2003.

Amalgamation: Good or bad?

"It could have been a great success, but greed and pilferage stepped in. By robbing the city they made a mess and put themselves down in history as a very stupid government.

"The sole purpose of amalgamation was to download. (Premier Mike Harris) promised no more downloading and everything was going to be revenue-neutral. Can never forget that word, revenue-neutral. Some $365 million later and I was screaming."

Winners and losers?

"North York lost out. Scarborough lost out. York was the big winner, and the City of Toronto ... For instance, they never had sidewalk snow removal on main streets."

What's in the future?

"Just straighten out the money problems and council tighten up the spending, then it would be just beautiful.

"Harris was like a bull. This guy (McGuinty), you can talk to him. Just keep pounding away that, `You admit these services are your responsibility, so pay for them.' And talk together with the big cities because they are all feeling what Toronto is feeling."

MICHAEL PRUE: East York mayor at amalgamation. Councillor for Ward 31, Beaches-East York before becoming an MPP.

"It's a disaster. Oh wait, it used to cost 25 cents for kids to swim in East York and then it was free. Since that day I can't remember anything that's been good. I've never heard anyone tell me it's a good thing ... not in 10 years."

What went wrong?

"Everything. So much was promised. It was to save money; debt is up. Opportunity for fewer staff? We have more staff. There would be a flowering of democracy – sadly, the opposite has been the truth. Amalgamation and downloading happened at same time. Both had a huge impact. The city never recovered."

Should we de-amalgamate?

"We have to find some way to de-amalgamate. If we can't go whole hog, return to smaller communities and neighbourhoods. Should have 12 community councils instead of the four now. Let people have some kind of local say that they used to have and no longer have."

What's in the future?

"I despair sometimes, But I have confidence that we have a huge council that one day they will prevail. It'll require uploading of services to the province; it requires the federal government coming forward with a piece of the GST. And city council has to trim their own office budget. People have to see the councillors suffering along with them. I don't think councillors understand that well."

DOUG HOLYDAY: Etobicoke mayor at amalgamation. Councillor for Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre.

"Certainly not good. We squandered an opportunity to make savings."

What went wrong?

"Idea good; implementation terrible. It was put together in haste. The province didn't put enough controls in place. We ended up with more firefighters, not fewer. The unions cherry-picked (salaries and benefits) to the highest levels. The province should have picked one union and set the wages at that level."

Are there benefits?

"Opportunities for economic development. Companies want to be a part of something big. Being the fifth largest market in North America, we have drawing power. It seems we have more to sell and a bigger fund to promote one Toronto area, as opposed to splitting it up six or seven ways."

Should we de-amalgamate?

"I don't see how we can unscramble the egg at this point. If we could, Mississauga is a better match (for Etobicoke). We're neighbours. It makes far more sense to amalgamate with Mississauga than with Scarborough. But we've made our bed ... or it's been made for us. Once you've intertwined so many things, it's hard to separate out the responsibilities again. We're not gonna go back to six fire departments."

FRANCES NUNZIATA: York mayor at amalgamation. Councillor for Ward 11, York South-Weston.

"It wasn't what we were told it was going to be. We were very misled. Financially, it's been a huge nightmare. We are getting deeper and deeper in debt. We were led to believe everyone would be better off."

Any benefits?

"There's been a lot of good for the city of York. We've benefited more than the other municipalities. We got a lot of new playgrounds in the parks and we got it sooner than later. So, it's been about 50-50, good and bad."

Should we de-amalgamate?

"Realistically I don't think it could be done. I don't even think the community would support that – because of the amount of money it would cost. It's been 10 years. And I think we've all adjusted to it."

BARBARA HALL: Toronto mayor at amalgamation. Lost to Mel Lastman. Chief commissioner, Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Looking back:

"It's a change that seems to have been made with very little thought behind it, and contrary to all the current advice at the time. It seems to have been motivated, I guess, by naiveté at best and vindictiveness at worst."

Your view from the outside?

"At times it has looked chaotic, at times weary; always in need of more resources."

Any benefits?

"There's a greater level of equity in the one big city than in the individual six, and that's been a good thing."

Should we de-amalgamate?

"You can never go back – certainly not 10 years later to what was there then. Over 10 years, progress has been made in a number of ways."

What's in the future?

"It's more and more inevitable that city government will go to some kind of a party system ... not federal and provincial parties, but looking at Vancouver, Winnipeg and Montreal – you can understand clearly what the agenda and position (is) on the big issues. Now, it's very hard to know."

Megacity politics in shambles 10 years later
`City of neighbourhoods' will take a generation to let go of local loyalties

January 01, 2008
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

If amalgamation hadn't happened, would anyone know?

Probably not, but it did. And eventually, all Toronto residents will feel the effect, no matter where they live.

Though the forced joining of Toronto and its boroughs left city council and the civic bureaucracy a mess, daily life continues much as it did before former premier Mike Harris unleashed his onslaught.

The garbage still gets picked up, if less often, and the streetcars run, if less frequently. Daily life continues.

Then, as now, most of us remained ensconced within our own neighbourhood. Etobicokers still think of themselves as Etobicokers, North Yorkers as North Yorkers, Scarboroughites as Scarboroughites. Until we travel far enough that the finer points of residency are lost, we're reluctant to admit to being Torontonians. Go far enough, however, and even Mississaugans become Torontonians, something they'd be loath to acknowledge in these parts.

The rest of Toronto still jokes about Scarborough, or as we prefer to call it, Scarberia. We still shake our heads at the condo mayhem of "downtown" North York and can't make sense of Etobicoke politics.

Everyone else still despises Toronto – the "old" city of Toronto – for its arrogance and self-absorption. Some things never change.

Where amalgamation has had an impact perhaps is in how we perceive ourselves. The aftermath of that shotgun wedding a decade ago has left municipal politics an embarrassing shambles. The designated fools of city governance – the Rob Fords and Doug Holydays – have a much wider audience. With 44 members, council has grown too large to be effective and often breaks down along urban-versus-suburban lines.

With a few exceptions, no one on council has started to think about Toronto as a whole. The system discourages that at the best of times, never more so than now. The result has been a sharp drop in civic self-confidence; a growing sense Toronto has entered a downward spiral. The blame extends well beyond city hall, but the low level of debate, divisiveness, bitterness and triviality of council meetings has led to feeling that we're no longer able to deal with the problems we face.

The psychology of amalgamation hasn't created more solidarity between neighbourhoods, but a masochistic, let's-hate-Toronto attitude. But Toronto is us, and we are Toronto. In the decade since amalgamation, we have become our own worst enemy.

They say time heals all wounds and the city's no exception. It will take at least a generation to get over our prejudices, for East Yorkers to be able to say, happily, I am a Torontonian. Even then, we will tend to identify with a neighbourhood, rather than the city. In Toronto, people come from the Annex, Cabbagetown, Riverdale, Moore Park, and so on. Only after that, are they Torontonians. We are, don't forget, a city of neighbourhoods. We have gone to great lengths to empower the local at the cost of the civic.

Whether this backfired remains an open question. But even in ancient cities such Paris, London or Rome, loyalties never stray far from the place one lives.

And so we carry on. Amalgamation has become a word rarely heard; forgotten and ignored. When did you last hear talk of the megacity? Who remembers the howls of outrage led by John Sewell and Jane Jacobs?

In the end, the sheer weight of events demands we get on with things – shovelling snow, taking out the garbage or walking to the corner store to buy milk.

If all politics are local, so are all cities. We are where we live.

10 years in the life of the megacity

January: Mel Lastman sworn in.

March: Council votes 54-1 to bid for the 2008 Olympics. Bid fails.

April: The first megacity budget contains no property tax increase.

January: Lastman calls army to help city dig out after snowstorms.

July: Anti-smoking bylaw passes.

December: After talking tough against province's moves to reduce council from 57 to 44 members, councillors decide to play a role in determining new ward system.

April: New budget freezes property taxes for third year in a row.

July: Council votes 52-1 to demand special status and put an end to provincial interference.

August: Councillors vote to send city trash to abandoned northern mine. Then vote themselves a 9 per cent pay hike over three years.

November: Lastman re-elected.

December: Council votes to "pursue all potential remedies against other responsible parties" in its case against MFP Financial Services, whose 1999 computer leasing contract doubled from $43 million.

June: Garbage collectors, ambulance attendants and other outside city workers walk off the job.

July: After nine days, 18,000 inside workers join the strike.

December: Public inquiry into the computer leasing deal begins.

March: SARS hits.

April: World Health Organization warns against travelling to Toronto.

June: Rolling Stones say they'll headline a SARS benefit in Toronto.

July: WHO takes Toronto off its list of SARS-affected areas. Local death toll is 40.

August: Power outage in city, much of Eastern Canada and U.S.

November: Waving a broom, candidate David Miller promises to clean up city hall. He wins.

March: City council approves a property tax hike of 3 per cent.

August: 15 die in Summer of Gun.

September: MFP inquiry ends with 244 recommendations. Pam Coburn, a senior bureaucrat, admits to inappropriate affair.

October: Coburn and second-in-command Joseph Carnevale are fired for unfair hiring practices.

January: Rochester-Toronto ferry dies.

April: Toronto conducts first survey of the homeless population.

July: Councillors give themselves a 9 per cent raise, boosting salaries to $95,000.

November: Miller re-elected.

March: Fiscal crisis looms. Officials warn new taxes are needed.

April: City buys Green Lane dump.

June: City staff recommend a $60-per-vehicle registration tax and a land-transfer tax.

August: Deficit hits $575 million. Staff cost-containment report slashes $83 million in spending.

October: Land-transfer tax and vehicle-registration fee pass.

Weird and wacky tales of the six old cities

January 01, 2008
JIM BYERS, JOHN SPEARS, PAUL MOLONEY AND VANESSA LU
CITY HALL BUREAU

Gone but not quite forgotten in the years since amalgamation, each of the cities had its own unique, often colourful political history:

NORTH YORK

“There’s certainly a history of colourful characters,†long-time Willowdale politician John Filion says of North York’s council. “Some are almost larger than life, like Mel (Lastman) and Howard (Moscoe).

“I think they’re kind of like Lennon and McCartney,†Filion said. “They created their best stuff separately but there was a real energy when they were together.â€

Mel Lastman, a furniture salesman with oversized jewellery, a permanent tan and bad hair plugs, ran the place for 25 years and went on to become the megacity’s first mayor. It’s his flubs many will remember best: shaking hands with Hells Angels, confessing a fear of going to Africa because of the cannibals, denying North York had a homeless problem the same day a woman was found dead outside a service station washroom. In a famous debate, Lastman told David Miller he’d never become mayor “because you do stupid and dumb things.â€

Mario Gentile was sentenced to jail in 1994 for taking $150,000 from a developer, but that didn’t stop Lastman from giving the councillor a key to the city.

While a tough-talking member of the megacity policy board, Norm Gardner got into trouble when he received a handgun and accepted 7,900 rounds of ammo from police.

Giorgio Mammoliti got death threats in 2000 after giving traps to constituents annoyed by stray cats. This year he caused a fuss by railing against losing free coffee at city hall, and saying the army should come in to quell violence in Jane-Finch.

Bombastic councillor Howard Moscoe made a name for himself as Lastman’s unofficial opposition, and as a stunt man.

He once bought a toupee purported to be Lastman’s at a charity event and used it to dust off his council chair.

SCARBOROUGH

Its council engaged in a running battle with North York for suburban supremacy. North York was known as the “City With a Heart.†In 1988, Scarborough’s new ad campaign used the slogan “Eat Your Heart Out, N.Y.†Mayor Gus Harris insisted the ad was aimed at the Big Apple, but Lastman said it was merely aping his campaign. lScarborough’s first female mayor, the feisty Joyce Trimmer, served on the implementation panel for amalgamation, but called the legislation “appalling†and “dishonest.â€

Mayor Gus Harris, a perfect quiet foil for the flamboyant Mel Lastman, was said to have only two suits: one in salmon and the other in light-blue and white seersucker.

EAST YORK

Mayor True Davidson could hold her own with anyone in politics.

When East York absorbed Leaside in 1968, she called her mayoral rival there a “wishy-washy, prissy sweetheart.†That was not what Davidson aspired to: “If you want beauty, elegance and glamour, don’t vote for me,†she once said.

Metro chair Fred “Big Daddy†Gardiner once ruefully remarked that Davidson had “taken a yard†off his political hide. Davidson looked at his 230-pound frame and told him he had plenty to spare.

YORK

It was dubbed the “city of pork†after two York councillors, a Metro councillor and a developer were convicted of corruption and sentenced to jail terms and fines in the Fairbank Park scandal.

Councillor Frances Nunziata blew the whistle on questionable backroom deals after several York politicians voted for a controversial deal to sell parkland to a condo developer. Mayor Fergy Brown had a hard time controlling the raucous public meetings that followed, which featured shoving matches.

Voters showed their disgust by turfing out six of eight incumbents in the 1991 election. Only Nunziata, Bill Saundercook and Brown were returned to office.

ETOBICOKE

Responsible government at a reasonable price: that was the campaign slogan for Dennis Flynn, who served as mayor for a dozen years and later Metro chair.

It probably summed up suburban Etobicoke. It could also be interpreted as dull, dull, dull.

That is, until the David Deaves affair in the 1990s, where the city manager racked up nearly $50,000 on his city credit card at bars and restaurants, including two strip joints. Deaves suggested he had tacit approval from councillors who would dine with him, said then-mayor Doug Holyday, who often found himself on the losing side with councillors who wanted to keep the affair under wraps.

DOUG HOLYDAY:

"I don't see how we can unscramble the egg at this point. If we could, Mississauga is a better match (for Etobicoke). We're neighbours. It makes far more sense to amalgamate with Mississauga than with Scarborough.

Wow. That's telling. Doug "I'd rather be in Mississauga" Holyday.

The Celebrate Toronto street festival - for the first few years anyway, until they started cutting back on it - was much more than a typical BIA consumerfest.

One delightful memory is of the TSO playing in the middle of Yonge, just north of St.Clair, on a hot summer evening, to an appreciative standing-room-only audience - that sort of thing just doesn't happen at Buy Up The Danforth or Streetmeat Of Little Italy.

The Unified City of Toronto-10 years later but is it 10 years better?

DK416 and all: Good articles on Toronto's 10th Anniversary as a unified City.
It seems that amalgamation brought on problems between the boroughs.
As mentioned-can the boroughs be brought back? Also mentioned-perhaps Etobicoke and Mississauga could have merged-could that actually still occur?
As an overview it seems that in Toronto's case bigger was probably NOT better. We will see what the next 10 years bring.....LI MIKE

Back