News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Greenspace

Member Bio
Reaction score
Reference ID:Job No 515159000-002
Description:To construct a 2nd storey addition to a Food and Drink Service with exterior stairway, Tiramisu. Reference DP #505296041-002
Plan RN22 Blk 28 Lot 20
Applicant:JACQUELYN SKEFFINGTON
Create Date:2024-06-05T15:59:15Z
Neighbourhood:WESTMOUNT

I was at Westmount Mall this afternoon. Most of the mall retailers are closed or about to be relocated except for Safeway, Dollarama, health clinic, Smittys, Revolver (they have no plans to leave), GYMVMT, Shoppers Drug Mart and the food court. The non-mall stores (Home Despot, Marks, etc) are also staying put

Losey said the CEBA repayment was the main factor behind her decision to close the shop, which she opened in January 2017. But she pointed out other factors that played a role, too, including what she said is dissatisfaction with the 124 Street and Area Business Association. Losey said she “100%” feels the organization could provide more support in exchange for the member dues she paid through a tax levy.

“I know I’m not alone (among business owners) in asking for things that they could do to help us,” Losey said. “They always say they’re ‘Working on things, and things are going to get better, and we’re doing this, and we’re doing that,’ but we don’t really see any of that, so I’m not sure how much of it actually happens.”

The business association is one of 13 business improvement areas that are partly funded through the City of Edmonton. It organizes commerce-generating events such as the All is Bright festival, provides a business directory, promotes businesses on the @shop124street Instagram account, and offers a parking guide, among many other things. A summary of its 2023 work is in its annual report submitted to city council on June 19. The report details that the organization accessed $35,000 in savings in 2023 to avoid forcing a levy increase onto its members.

The association did not respond to three requests from Taproot for an interview.

That place was one of the reasons we went there as my GF loves it.

As for BIAs, levies and the like, they are ALWAYS controversial, but generally speaking and I would say 124st does a good job, do A LOT of things behind the scenes as 124 or in partnership with the BIA alliance across the city addressing foundational issues.

Learn more:

Parcel & Prose was maddening. I've tried to go there several times over the past year to buy a greeting card (or whatever), only to find it unexpectedly closed during regular business hours. The owner would post a message on social media saying something like: "I'm sorry, I'm too overwhelmed today, and won't be able to open."

Like, I get that it was a one-woman show, but if you're not open, I can't give you my dollars.

In other 124 Street news:

-Fox Burger announced on Instagram recently that they will be opening a location on 124th street
-Signage has been up for a few weeks saying that Sushi Wave will be taking over either the Passport or Cosmos space (I forget which is which, sorry -- they seemed kind of interchangeable to me)

Back