8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
A rezoning application has been submitted by DiamondCorp to permit development of five apartment buildings ranging from 10 to 19 storeys, with a total of 741 residential units. The site encompassed 2.46 hectares and the GFA of the proposal includes a 6,069 square meter retail structure as well as 68,520 square meters of residential space (including 1,691 square meters of ground floor commercial space). The Density is 3.0 FSI. The retail building is only 1 floor, while the residential buildings are 3, 10, 12 and 19 storeys. A total of 1,054 parking spaces are proposed.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-32266.pdf

It's a redevelopment of the Parkwoods Village plaza, keeping a grocery store (moved to where the gas station is/was), adding condos with street retail to the east, a few townhouses in between, and possibly tied in with a renovation/expansion/replacement of the adjacent library.

This is great, we need a lot more development like this ... it's a pretty darn good location as well for car lovers ... and transit ... I love the York Mills bus! Although, they have a terrible habbit of bunching in rush hour. But the express! That'll get you to Yonge in a snap - one of the better routes because service is very frequent and car traffic is light.

I bumped into Denzil talking with a bunch of people in the courtyard of this little mall last week. My conversation with him confirmed that yes the plan to replace it with condos is very much alive.

Major update to the plans for this little plaza.

Plans for Condos and the obliteration of the small and admittedly sub optimal retail buildings are now on hold or cancelled in favour of possibly rebuilding and upmarketing the existing retail use of the property. I love it.

We constantly hear about walkability as a positive attribute to a neighbourhood, the current location offered just that to a great many people for many years but had been in a slow decline for many years as was the neighbourhood to be honest.

All that has changed, apartment buildings that once housed welfare trash are now nicely maintained and are home to a hard working bunch of people that value their surroundings and would probably love to be able to walk to a revitalized plaza just as they now have easy access to schools, parks, libraries, an arena and trails for walking and cycling. Even a Private school no less.

Or maybe the developers saw that the Condo market is contracting at an alarming rate and made a smart decision.

Major update to the plans for this little plaza.

Plans for Condos and the obliteration of the small and admittedly sub optimal retail buildings are now on hold or cancelled in favour of possibly rebuilding and upmarketing the existing retail use of the property. I love it.

We constantly hear about walkability as a positive attribute to a neighbourhood, the current location offered just that to a great many people for many years but had been in a slow decline for many years as was the neighbourhood to be honest.

All that has changed, apartment buildings that once housed welfare trash are now nicely maintained and are home to a hard working bunch of people that value their surroundings and would probably love to be able to walk to a revitalized plaza just as they now have easy access to schools, parks, libraries, an arena and trails for walking and cycling. Even a Private school no less.

Or maybe the developers saw that the Condo market is contracting at an alarming rate and made a smart decision.

I had heard some vague news about this a while ago. Where'd you get your information from? If only the Valley Woods/York Mills proposal would meet the same fate.

Anyone have updates to whats happening to this site? I see small renovations being completed. Are they expanding retail and thats it?

Anyone have updates to whats happening to this site? I see small renovations being completed. Are they expanding retail and thats it?

Looks like you guys called it. I just came across this:

PARKWOODS VILLAGE REDEVELOPMENT

So much for the condos. Looks like some renovation to the Shopper's and Food Basics, a Dollarama (ugh, whatever), and a bunch of new retail space where the gas station used to be. Here's hoping they make a go of it.

Are they kidding? I see new utilities being installed on Brookbanks and Excavating machinery on the site of the former Esso station as well as possibly a million dollars spent in the core of the present complex for no reason. The rentable space available remains the same except the rendering shows the existing 2nd floor office space gone. Do they know that 2 dollar stores were located side by side in recent years in this plaza?
My observations are those of a long time (1961 to date) resident and customer of the grocery store, Pizza Pizza and drug store now that most of the other regulars have moved out. This property has a raison d'etre but will always be secondary to Parkway Plaza just down the road, maybe they should be aiming up market to make a living. Down market is full. The proposed free standing additions in the plan scream fast food but every option you can think of already exists within a mile or so. Should be interesting.

OMG, another Dollarama!! They have been in labour for a dog's age and a million dollars later they give birth to this? Don't they know there is another Dollarama a 10 minute walk east of there at Parkway Mall. Is the TTC running this operation is there someone even dumber than them in town.

Back