From OBJ:

City committee approves RioCan’s six-tower Carling Avenue project​

David Sali
David Sali

• June 20, 2024
  • 11:52 AM
  • ET

RioCan Carling Avenue plan

An architectural sketch shows two of the six highrises RioCan plans to build at 1640 and 1660 Carling Ave.

A major real estate firm’s plan to build six highrises on Carling Avenue that would contain more than 1,700 residential units is one step closer to reality after getting the green light from the city’s planning and housing committee.
The committee approved a zoning bylaw amendment Wednesday that raises height limits on the property at 1640 and 1660 Carling Ave. from nine storeys to 40.
RioCan REIT has filed an application for a project that would see six mixed-use towers ranging from 18 to 40 storeys constructed on the five-and-a-half-acre site at the southeast corner of Carling Avenue and Clyde Avenue North.

The site is currently occupied by a former Canadian Tire store and a Boston Pizza restaurant. The vacant Canadian Tire building is being converted into a fitness centre that is slated to open later this year.
RioCan’s proposal calls for a total of 1,715 residential units ranging from studios to three-bedroom suites. In a summary of the application filed this spring, the developer says “some of the buildings” could include ground-floor retail space while others would be “solely residential.”
According to a draft site plan, the four buildings at the north end of the property – listed at 40, 37, 28 and 24 storeys – will be rental complexes, containing a total of about 1,335 apartments.

In addition, RioCan is proposing to build two condo towers of 18 and 20 storeys at the south end of the property that would include about 380 units. That’s a change from an earlier version of the proposal that featured a 20-storey condo and a nine-storey seniors’ residence on the southern edge of the site.
RioCan also plans to create a small public plaza at the northeast corner of the site that will lead to a privately owned public space in the middle of the cluster of highrises. A half-acre public park is expected to be built on the southwest corner of the property next to the condo towers.
According to a city staff report, current zoning rules require a minimum of 1,156 parking spaces for a project of this size. In its most recent application summary, RioCan said it plans to build an underground parking garage with spaces for 896 vehicles.
River Coun. Riley Brockington, whose ward contains the proposed development, said he supports the project.
In comments attached to the staff report, Brockington called it an “ambitious” undertaking, saying its total capacity of 3,000 residents would boost his ward’s current population of about 50,000 by six per cent once the development is completed.
The proposal, which goes to full council next week, comes amid a wave of residential development in the surrounding area.

Claridge Homes, for example, plans to build six highrises containing up to 2,000 housing units just south of RioCan’s property at 891 Clyde Ave. between Carling Avenue and the Queensway. Meanwhile, several other developers have also launched multi-tower projects along Carling Avenue near the former Canadian Tire site.
Lorne Scott, a realtor with Royal LePage Team Realty whose office is just down the street, told OBJ last year he thinks the Carling Avenue corridor is ripe for redevelopment due to its proximity to the Queensway and trendy neighbourhoods such as Westboro and Hintonburg.
“More and more companies and builders are going west of the core in Ottawa, at a much quicker rate than east of the core, despite real estate being more expensive in the west. Just look at Kanata, or Stittsville, or even Carleton Place. Those places are booming big time,” Scott said.
“I think Carling Avenue, while still rundown or tired in some stretches, will be a hot spot for the next 20 years. Any business, regardless of the service or product they offer, should – and many will – consider Carling.”

I wonder if, instead of shelving this project/approval for the next 10 years because Altea is going in, if there was still a way for them to potentially move forward with 2 of the towers on the very east side of the site? It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach.

I wonder if, instead of shelving this project/approval for the next 10 years because Altea is going in, if there was still a way for them to potentially move forward with 2 of the towers on the very east side of the site? It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach.
Seems to me they could build the first four, maybe moving Altea into one of the podiums, then build the two tallest last.

Seems to me they could build the first four, maybe moving Altea into one of the podiums, then build the two tallest last.
I'd imagine the same. But this is RioCan though. They're painfully slow at redeveloping their properties in Ottawa.

Great news it got approved.. but yeah that timeline is way too slow. We would benefit so much from the whole lot redeveloping now, especially for pushing along a better Carling public transit. I would hope they start with building the towers around it and then letting them move into one of those (giving them two floors of one of the towers) and then moving them once they need to start the remaining two towers.

I have taken a couple of walks around the site since the redevelopment of the Recreation club started. I was hoping the two southern wings beyond the covered parking might be demolished to allow for partial developement. It looks like the entire existing building foot print will be used for the new rec complex. Based on the posted site plan building no. 4 is the only tower that could possibly go ahead for construction.

There's a 0% chance any of this is built in the next 20 years. It like the optimism but this is just busy work.

Yeah, I wish they didn't commit like that to the gym. Added a weird layer where they have approval but won't do anything with it. Riocan could definitely sell to another developer, that would be the only shot we would have to see something go up.

The lot across the street (with all the restaurants), from what I know, there are plans to build up that lot so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw action on that side faster.

In my opinion the build-out that is being done on the old CT means they are planning on being in it for 20+ years. By that point I assume all of the Claridge project behind it will be done. I'd even bet we get a tower where you mentioned as well as another in the old Corel HQ parking lot.

There are quite a few marginal buildings down the length of Carling between Kirkwood and Maitland. Combined with the mostly light industrial and low SES apartments surrounding this area I would expect that this will become a bit of a linear skyline in the next 25 years or so since there will be little to no community opposition.

Ultimately, it's not a bad thing that a building completed just over 15 years ago gets a little more time added to its useful life. Would be a waste to demolish it now.

And RioCan are extremely slow and redevelopments in Ottawa. I'd prefer if they focused on other projects like Lincoln Fields or behind the Gloucester Silver City.

Back