News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oh my gosh, I want one!

When I become Mayor of Mississauga I'm going to commission a dozen of these across the city!

Louroz

NYC has a subway station that's teaming with these guys. I like it, like indense said more so then 18 Yonge itself.

Taken by:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlingely/
7758299_a60bad29a7_o.jpg

My GO bus drove past this sculpture yesterday, and it really caught me off guard and made me smile. It's larger than I had expected, and after hearing it would be called "Immigrant Family," I had expected something more abstract and diversity-is-our-strength-y.

I wouldn't want the city filled up with this sort of public art, but I think there is definitely room for a few such pieces. I feel the same way about the public art at ROCP. Not everything needs to be high concept.

"I worked really hard on this piece and I really like it. It's one of my favourites and I hope everyone in Toronto will embrace it," said the New York-based artist of his bronze work.

Sorry, can't do.

Otterness works best for me when his installations consist of many smaller castings of little creatures scrambling about in humourous situations, like in the New York subway system (the two pieces in the photo are just two of many) and in Rockefeller Park at Battery Park. The very round shapes he creates seem inherently humourous to me, and therefore work best when that aspect is stressed. Writ large, as the trio at 18 Yonge is, and in a more thoughtful pose, feels a bit off-message to me...

...but I still like his work.

The perfect subject for Otterness in this city would be a ferry-load of people heading over to the Toronto Islands for the day. If they ever move the Ferry Terminal, and have to spend some money on public art, they could do worse than to hire Otterness to adorn the place with his creatures. Having him there would indirectly give more context to the 18 Yonge piece too.

TheHague100.jpg

i like this one. it reminds me of clark griswald at the hoover dam.

Back