News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wow..I really love the look of the old streetcars...I was driving down Eastern the other day, and I saw a few in the yard..I wish they would throw those guys into service again!

1953176879_51ac80c75d.jpg

Where is this?

That's the bridge across the tracks to the CN Tower, I think.

I agree with fiendish - we've gained in some areas and lost in others. Toronto certainly still feels like the same city I came to in 1970, just an evolved version of it. Of course it has changed physically, and we know how the demographics have shifted - but I don't think it has undergone a personality transplant. All other cities, big and small, have evolved in those years too don't forget.

1953176879_51ac80c75d.jpg

Where is this?

Look at the ads. "Tower Power", "On Top In Toronto". Its the original bridge to the CN Tower from Front Street. It was located where smuncky has indicated. It was moved when the Dome was built.

It now resides on Highway 11 north of Barrie. There's a famous roadside burger joint (can't remember the name) up there that bought it. They had so many people stopping on the other side of the highway that it was causing problems. They now have this bridge so people don't have to cross the highway.

This looks like the bridge that connects to what is now Atlantis at Ontario Place...could be wrong though...probably am.

That used to be the bridge that crossed the CN tracks to the CN tower. I don't know how they did it, but they moved the entire thing up to Webers (near Orillia) to span HWY 11 from their southbound parking lot to the main restaurant. Interestingly, Weber's uses old CN cars for everything from meat processing to seating. Alotta CN....

2125511405_de23de48d3_o.jpg

A small correction since this photo is being used as the photo of the day - It is CCW that is being topped off here, rather then FCP as is suggested in the photo of the day label. I love this photo - hopefully some other forumers can dig up some cool retro shots from the 70s.

One small, minor detail in that pic of Yonge that I *really* miss: the illuminated Centennial street signs that were placed along Yonge, Bay, Queen, King and other streets downtown. I think it was yellow for e-w, and blue for n-s.

Mind you, these days, similar signs would have the bulbs burnt out, the glass broken or covered with nightclub or contractor stickers and graffiti tags. As I said, in some ways, this city has regressed...

2125511405_de23de48d3_o.jpg

A small correction since this photo is being used as the photo of the day - It is CCW that is being topped off here, rather then FCP as is suggested in the photo of the day label. I love this photo - hopefully some other forumers can dig up some cool retro shots from the 70s.

You are right. FCP is a much taller and wider bldg. and sits west of Bay St., not east. TD towers can be seen to the west of Bay St.

What ING (?) or whomever did to the Ontario Hydro building is a travesty. I've also noticed that some of these photos are scanned from a CN Tower visitor's guide I got around 1979-1980.

Back