A lot of resistance to the Hotel portion has to do with the seediness of the Cecil, residents of Chinatown got a firsthand look at the shenanigans there for quite some time. I remember the Anthem Waterfront Project was to have a hotel portion originally but that was scrapped due to major resistance from the Chinatown community.

Hi
Looks like a Part of China Town is Making a Change for the Better. Looks very good really. Lets hope Construction can Start within a Year or So.
Tnx,
Operater

Update for this project: City council approved the land use by an 8-1 vote. (Chu voting against) The DP was approved unanimously by CPC earlier, but contingent on the land use approval.

Dr1upeLU4AE9WNY.jpg
Dr1umhwU0AElGl2.jpg
Dr1uhZIV4AA9mb5.jpg

Amazing. Very happy to hear.

Damn I like everything about this. It just feels so cozy. Might have to do with the dark warm coloured brick podium or even the little tight alley way. If they can execute those neon signs like in the renderings, that would be crazy. We need more street singage like that in chinatown and in the Core in general. It really lights up the street for pedistrians. Its something you see straight out of China, Japan, or East Asia in general. If this turns out like the renderings then I think a lot more of the community in Chinatown will be open to future big developments with little resistance. Right now this is hands down the best looking thing in Chinatown and its not even built yet!

Game changer for sure! This can single handedly turn Chinatown's fortunes around. Currently it feels run-down, and sparse. This will bring cohesion and a fresh facelift. It may encourage some of the little small parking lots to redevelop as well. Too many empty blocks in Chinatown currently.

Does Chu have some policy reason to vote against everything, or does he just do it for the sake of doing it? lol, glad this is approved, definite game changer for Chinatown!

Damn I like everything about this. It just feels so cozy. Might have to do with the dark warm coloured brick podium or even the little tight alley way. If they can execute those neon signs like in the renderings, that would be crazy. We need more street singage like that in chinatown and in the Core in general. It really lights up the street for pedistrians. Its something you see straight out of China, Japan, or East Asia in general. If this turns out like the renderings then I think a lot more of the community in Chinatown will be open to future big developments with little resistance. Right now this is hands down the best looking thing in Chinatown and its not even built yet!

Agreed. I feel like this is the most sophisticated development I have seen so far in Calgary (I know everyone will say Telus Sky, but this is more fine-grained and community shaping IMO). Very impressed.

I love how this complex interacts with its surroundings. This is a game changer for larger block intensification. I'm finding the street level a little too uniform in design and materials to give it an A+.

Does Chu have some policy reason to vote against everything, or does he just do it for the sake of doing it? lol, glad this is approved, definite game changer for Chinatown!
At first thought, Chu must be siding with the residents of Chinatown who want a complete rejection of the concept. But, Chinatown is not in his ward. I remember he also voiced objections to the N3 condo project in East Village because of 'no parkade'. Whatever his arguments are, they don't hold water, at least not with me. Councillors need to be thoughtful, fact based and be able to look at both sides; or they shouldn't be in office.

This may have moved up to my most anticipated new development. Have they applied for a BP? Are these rentals or condos? This needs to happen - the north side of downtown desperately needs more vibrancy. Everywhere else besides the north side of downtown seems to be doing much better development wise - Kensington, Bridgeland, Inglewood, Beltline, East Village.

I hope something else like this get proposed/built on the lot between Telus Place and James Short Park. Two towers (north tower about 30% shorter than south tower) with a central alley or even a central plaza lined by retail and engaging signage. This is an incredible start for this type of idea coming to Calgary though. Bravo!

Back