G

ganjavih

Nov. 4, 2003. 06:14 AM

Tonight's TV debate will cap intense race
Candidates eager to break from pack
1,200 are expected for live event

VANESSA LU
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

In one of the longest and most intense mayoral races in decades, tonight's debate hosted by the Toronto Star and Toronto 1 television station could prove pivotal.

With polls showing it's a real horse race, the candidates will be eager to show off, get out their message and maybe even leave the competition in the dust.

The five leading candidates — David Miller, John Tory, Barbara Hall, John Nunziata and Tom Jakobek — will be taking questions from citizens as well as journalists from the Star and Toronto 1.

The moderator is Toronto Tonight anchor Ben Chin.

The debate, which will be televised live from 7 to 9 p.m. on Toronto 1, will be held in front of an audience of 1,200 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre's John Bassett Theatre.

The long campaign, which officially kicked off Jan. 2 and heated up in October, has been marked by almost 50 debates and one event after another.

There has been a fair amount of mudslinging, with allegations of illegal pre-election funding by Hall, and Nunziata's accusation that someone from Tory's camp offered him money to quit.

Tonight's event is only the second televised debate. Citytv's debate, which aired last month, resulted in no clear winner. The candidates were criticized for talking at the same time, sometimes making it difficult for the audience to hear what they were saying.

"I didn't like the way they behaved on the Citytv debate. I was not impressed because they were shouting over each other," said Hatem Belhi, 32, who will be asking a question at tonight's debate.

Belhi, an East York resident, said he is still undecided about who to vote for next Monday. He has narrowed his choices to three: Hall, Miller and Tory.

"Toronto is a world-class city," he said. "It deserves someone who can put us on the world map."

He added there is no single galvanizing issue that will earn his vote. "I'm looking to the big picture," Belhi said.

Unlike provincial or federal politics, where usually only one debate is held, this municipal race has been chock full of them — in some cases as many as three a day.

"It's remarkable how long this election has gone on," said Nelson Wiseman, a political science professor at the University of Toronto.

"Debates are important, but unless somebody is seen as performing sub par or spectacularly, they don't end up determining that much."

However, given that the race appears to have become a two-person contest between Miller and Tory, Wiseman said both men have a great deal at stake tonight and will be under pressure to perform.

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the debate if you can. I was supposed to go to ask a question about how each candidate would improve Toronto's architecture and general aesthetic appeal but I couldn't make it. Apparently, they found someone else to ask the question. So check it out!

over management -- micro management of candidates- to a ridiculous extent, such as scheduling washroom time.
Candidates practically have to ask their handlers for persimmon to do anything.
-- get it?
Thought it was kind of funny.

Ah, right, I see. A joke. I get jokes.

And I thought it was a reference to something. D'oh.

I was at the debate Tuesday night and was very impressed with David Miller. I was supporting Barbara Hall earlier in the campaign but I switched to David Miller who I think is the best person for the job. A large part of being mayor consists of being a spokesman for the city. Barbara Hall's communication skills are so poor that I just gave up on her. As for Tory, I was completely turned off by the obnoxious cheerleaders he bused in for the debate. They were strategically sprinkled throughout the audience and were loud. Fortunately, the Miller crowed in the audience saw through the tactic and eventually drowned them out. It really made the Tory crowd seem sleazy. I'm very impressed with Miller. He's an intelligent, articulate guy. I'm supporting him for Mayor.

I saw the CBC debate.... Jacobek wasn't invited? :wtf: haha :rollin

John Tory's campaign thus far has been all about bashing Miller and trying to gain the lead with negative politics... dejá-vu...

John Tory
Looks Like a Tory
Thinks Like a Tory
Talks Like Ernie Eves :eek:

David Miller
Looks Like a Mayor
Thinks Like a Mayor
Talks Like a Neighbour

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Nov. 4, 2003. 06:24 AM
CHARLA JONES/TORONTO STAR
Five mayoral candidates took part in the CFRB debate last night, but David Miller and John Tory did most of the sparring.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp RELATED LINKS &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Toronto: List of registered candidates&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Toronto Votes 2003&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Ontario municipalities&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp GTA Votes special section&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Municipal government Web sites&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Council Insider&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The mid-term James report&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Finance feeds Tory, Miller scrap
Frontrunners blast each other's fiscal plans
Hall also takes shots from the poll leaders

JACK LAKEY
CITY HALL BUREAU

With David Miller solidifying his lead in polls in the race to be Toronto's mayor, his opponents are cranking up their attacks, accusing him of twisting the truth and offering a financial plan that will bankrupt the city.

At a mayoral debate on radio station CFRB last night, Miller came under a barrage of criticism from rivals John Tory and Barbara Hall, who are slipping further behind him in the latest poll.

Tory, who is the only candidate within striking distance of Miller in the Nov. 10 election, also took a pounding over his role as a member of Mayor Mel Lastman's "kitchen cabinet" and his connections to the former Conservative government.

Miller insisted that Tory's financial plan would cut thousands of workers and hasten the city's decline. John Nunziata, fourth in the polls, said that as one of Mayor Mel Lastman's "insiders," Tory's partly responsible for the mismanagement he now says he wants to fix.

Even Barbara Hall, who had a huge lead in polls only two months ago but has slipped to a distant third, took some heat from Miller over her support for a bridge to the island airport and from Tory, who told her, "You never had any influence in the backrooms, in the front rooms or anywhere."

She accused Miller of misrepresenting her position on the airport.

"Why are you lying in this campaign and saying I support jets? Why have you constantly twisted the truth and misrepresented my position?"

Miller replied that expanding the island airport risks the future of the waterfront, pointing out that some of the city's most respected political leaders and urban activists agree with him.

Early in the debate, Miller and Tory went at each other for an extended period over each other's financial plans.

"Mr. Miller's financial plan, if you can call it that, is that he is going to rely completely on tax increases of at least 10 per cent, and on big cheques coming from other levels of government," said Tory. "And his plan includes a specific refusal to look at different ways to do things.

"You don't set a single target for cutting waste. Let's talk about what you're going to do at city hall to save a penny, beyond these bland statements," Tory said. "You've ruled a hundred things out that you won't do to stop wasting taxpayers' money because you know what? You don't believe it's being wasted."

Miller argued that Tory's plan includes a commitment to cut 10 per cent of city employees, but "you won't be cutting police. You're hiring (400) more. You won't be cutting TTC (employees). You'll be hiring more. You won't be cutting ambulance (staff) because you can't. It's unsafe. You won't be cutting firefighters.

"That's half the city workforce. So what you are saying is you're going to cut 20 per cent out of the rest of the city's workforce. Well, if that's what you're going to do, our city's decline is going to continue enormously. That simply can't be done, and provide services to the standards that the people of Toronto want."

› Get 50% off home delivery of the Toronto Star.
FAQs| Site Map| Privacy Policy| Webmaster| Subscribe| My Subscription
Home| GTA| Business| Waymoresports| A&E| Life
Legal Notice:- Copyright 1996-2003. Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved. Distribution, transmission or republication of any material from www.thestar.com is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. For information please contact us using our webmaster form.

We need to flash-mob this televised event! Get there early to get a seat. There are 1,200 seats available.

Despite the audio problems early on, this debate was done MUCH MUCH better than the open debate on City Pulse. Most of the time this debate was a face-off between David Miller and John Tory. I loved the way it was conducted with the candidates sometimes getting up like if they were gonna be each other up! HA HA!

Having watched that debate, I would not be surprised if some of the candidates' campaign staff - perhaps even senior, real deal staff- are members of this forum.
Candidates themselves? Um--- Candidates are far too busy having their lives micro managed to be members. ( Use the washroom at the Coffee Time at Jane and Dundas for 10 minutes, between 7:15 and 7:25 am!)

We are in good hands with either Miller or Tory -- that's for damn sure.

I don't know how it came across on TV, but I saw the debate live.
The Tory campaign had obviously bussed in a Rent-A-Crowd from Rosedale or somewhere. You just don't see that many spoiled little rich kids and their grandmas at grassroots political events. But they made lots of noise and it was, after all, a made-for-TV event where visuals count.
But Miller is leading, and there was no knock out punch. And Tory needs a knock out punch if he's going to win.
Not only that, but Miller was ganged up on by everyone else and still there was no knock out punch.
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

Did they ever eject that stupid old guy from the audience who kept heckling each of the candidates during the homeless portion of the debate?? He was quite annoying.

Did they ever eject that stupid old guy from the audience who kept heckling each of the candidates during the homeless portion of the debate?? He was quite annoying.

No, a cop who looked like a teenager came up to him and gave him a warning, he stayed pretty quite for the last half. I was sitting almost directly behind him and for some reason that corner was full of nut jobs. 2 women behind me, one a Hall supporter another a Tory supporter, almost came to blows.

Candidates gang up on Miller
Front-runner refuses to take bait on airport bridge

By JENNIFER LEWINGTON AND KATHERINE HARDING

UPDATED AT 12:21 PM EST &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2003

Advertisement

In a boisterous televised Toronto mayoral debate, front-runner David Miller held his own last night against a barrage of attacks from his leading rivals

With Mr. Miller as the main target -- and the one with the most to lose -- John Tory, Barbara Hall, John Nunziata and Tom Jakobek turned up the political heat in a two-hour debate at the Metro Convention Centre that drew 1,200 cheering supporters.

The strategy of going after the front-runner reflects the new dynamics of the race.

An Ipsos-Reid poll conducted for The Globe and Mail this week showed Mr. Miller has opened up his lead -- with 37 per cent among decided voters -- over Mr. Tory with 31 per cent in what's become a two-man race.

Ms. Hall, the former mayor of old Toronto who led the pack all year until two weeks ago, has slumped to 19 per cent, the poll suggested.

The debate, sponsored by The Toronto Star and aired on Toronto 1, was one of the last in the gruelling 11-month contest. There are only six days left before voters go to the polls Monday to select a successor to Mayor Mel Lastman.

As on past occasions, Mr. Miller refused to take the bait when Mr. Nunziata stepped from his seat and urged him to sign a big card pledging to resign if he fails to stop construction of a controversial bridge to the Toronto island airport.

At every chance, Mr. Tory used his time to go after his ideological and policy differences with Mr. Miller.

Mr. Tory wants to add 400 police officers while Mr. Miller would reorganize staff. Mr. Miller rejects Mr. Tory's idea to include incineration among measures to reduce Toronto's reliance on shipping its garbage to Michigan.

After the debate, Mr. Tory predicted to reporters that voters will reject Mr. Miller's "spend, build-up-debt-and-borrow, NDP-style politicals."

But Mr. Miller summed up the debate by saying his opponents "were saying anything under the sun that was coming into their heads and people see through this stuff."

Earlier in the day, Mr. Miller was the last of the top three candidates to release his list of campaign donors. His once-underdog campaign has amassed a war chest of $1.1-million as of Nov. 2, and about 85 per cent, or $917,500, of that has come from individuals.

Under the rules, those running for mayor can spend no more $1.2-million on the campaign -- but fundraising costs are not included.

What's striking about Mr. Miller's donor list is how it ballooned after September. And by October, when he was starting to shoot up in the opinion polls, a whopping 1,500 separate donations were made to his campaign.

Contrast that to January, when he officially started his run. That month he received fewer than 50 donations totalling about $35,000.

The Ontario Municipal Elections Act doesn't require candidates to reveal their financial contributors prior to an election, but Ms. Hall launched her campaign with a pledge to reveal the name of donors a week before the Nov. 10 vote.

Her list, unveiled on Sunday, shows she had raised $1-million by late October from a mix of individuals -- including notable business families such as the McCains and the Pitblados -- and corporations, including developers .

Under the election rules, the maximum contribution to a mayoral campaign by individuals, corporations and unions is $2,500, with a tax rebate of $1,500 available.

The list of donors for Mr. Tory is dotted with the city's biggest business names. They include former banker Charles Baillie as well as Manulife head Dominic D'Alessandro and developer Elvio Del Zotto and family members.

Not surprisingly, the former Rogers Cable chief has raised the most so far -- $1.5-million (any surplus above the campaign limit must be handed over to the city).

In contrast to Mr. Tory's big-name corporate backers, Mr. Miller, a west-end city councillor, received many cheques from the elite of Toronto's arts community.

Ballerina Karen Kain and acclaimed authors such as Margaret Atwood, Susan Swan, David Lee and Michael Ondaatje all dug into their pockets to finance Mr. Miller's bid.

Many high-profile left-wingers also came to Mr. Miller's financial aid, including Shirley Douglas, Howard Hampton, Ruth Grier and a former mayor of old Toronto, John Sewell.

Trade unions donated about $58,000, or about 5 per cent of his total contributions. In addition, businesses gave $103,000 while individuals wrote cheques for $917,500.

In some cases, contributors gave to more than one camp -- as York University president Lorna Marsden did by writing a $200 cheque to both Ms. Hall and Mr. Tory.

How the top candidates are spending their money varies with their strategy.

Mr. Tory, who was not known city-wide, has relied the most on radio and television spots in recent weeks.

Stephen LeDrew, a campaign co-chairman for Mr. Tory, said "to John's credit he has been out there, morning and night. But advertising is certainly part of it."

Ms. Hall 's campaign manager, Paul Oliver, said the team's strategy is to spend heavily in the ethnic media, including radio and television ads launched over the past week. The Hall campaign this week signed up for more television spots in the minority media.

Notable donors

Selected contributors to mayoral campaigns:

Barbara Hall

Chaviva Hosek; David Estrin; Mira Godard, Sonja Bata, Dominic D'Alessandro; Howard Joy, Robin Sears, Margaret McCain, Ivan Fecan, Ian Delaney, Purdy Crawford, Alan Broadbent, Vivienne Poy, J.J. Barnicke, Howard Cohen, Buzz Hargrove, Sonja Smits, Walter Carsen, Martin Teplitsky, Robert Deluce, Murray Koffler, Richard O'Hagan, Heather Peterson, Anthony Fell, Eleanor Clitheroe.

David Miller

Ian David Scott, Tim Kotcheff, James Laxer, Michael Leshner, Jane Pepino, William R. McMurtry, Austin Cooper, Michael Decter, Murray S. Gold, N. John Adams, Bruce Kidd, Michael Ondaatje, Linda Spalding, Meyer Brownstone, John Laschinger, Peter Donolo, Barbara G. Caplan, Michael J. Adams, Ursula Franklin, Jane Jacobs, Thomas S. Axworthy, Susan Swan, Paul Schabas, Garfield Mahood, Irene Jones, Bruce Westwood, Ron Slaght, Avie Bennett, John Sewell, Dennis Lee, Paul T. Hellyer, David Silcox, Margaret Atwood, John Bemrose, Sam Sniderman, Clayton Ruby.

John Tory

Andrew Barnicke, Jalynn Bennett, Sarah Band, Ron Atkey, Paul Beeston, Sheila Block, Michael Bregman, Rudy Bratty, Derek Burney, Latham Burns, John Cleghorn, Martin Connell, Susan Crocker, Gar Emerson, Bruce Flatt, Lawrence Helsey, Elvio Del Zotto, Hal Jackman, Allen Karp, Dale Lastman, Robert Korthals, Ted Medland, Michael Meighen, Marco Muzzo, Heather Reisman, Margaret McCain, Gerald Schwartz, Allan Slaight, Sam Wakim, Tony Viner.

© 2003 Bell Globemedia Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Wednesday » November 5 » 2003

Rivals gang up on Miller
Televised debate

James Cowan &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
National Post

Wednesday, November 05, 2003
CREDIT: Peter Redman, National Post

Toronto mayoralty candidate David Miller dismissed suggestions yesterday that his campaign is bankrolled by the Canadian Union of Public Employees and other city unions.

David Miller fended off fierce attacks during a televised mayoralty debate last night, criticized for his closeness to city unions and his unwillingness to hire more police officers.

As the front-runner in the race, Mr. Miller told reporters he expected the other candidates would target him.

''They're obviously going after me. They're saying anything under the sun that comes into their heads and people see through this stuff,'' the candidate said.

During the debate, John Tory accused Mr. Miller of being beholden to city unions. Representatives of the Tory campaign also distributed copies of a Miller pamphlet targeted at union members. The pamphlet reads: ''For David Miller, every day is Labour Day.''

Mr. Miller dismissed suggestions his campaign had been bankrolled by the Canadian Union of Public Employees and other city unions.

''My campaign has raised about $1.1-million. Only $58,000 of that money came from unions, $110,000 came from businesses and the rest of it came from individuals. And frankly, people like public health nurses and firefighters and paramedics, I'm proud to have their support,'' Mr. Miller said.

According to Mr. Tory, the pamphlet emphasized the difference between himself and Mr. Miller.

''The point is the commitments he's made right in the pamphlet. He will not go in and change a lot things at city hall. He's handcuffing himself, he's ruling options out, he's shackling himself and he will not commit himself to stop wasting the taxpayers money,'' Mr. Tory said.

Mr. Miller also noted during the debate that Mr. Tory had accepted the endorsement of the Toronto Police Association.

''Why are unions bad for me but good for you?'' Mr. Miller said to his opponent.

Mr. Tory said he was proud to have the police union's support, while also questioning why Mr. Miller has not proposed adding additional officers to the force. Mr. Miller said he will improve policing through more community involvement, while Mr. Tory wants to hire 400 new officers.

After the debate, Ms. Hall said she was not discouraged by poll numbers released yesterday that showed her falling into third place.

''Clearly one would always prefer one's momentum to be upwards, but my supporters are out there, we have a great organization, and many of the people who are supporting me don't have English as a first language, don't respond well to polls and all of those thing mean I'll be at the top of the poll that matters,'' Ms. Hall said.

For his part, John Nunziata attacked Mr. Miller by attempting to have his opponent sign a contract promising to resign if he cannot stop the island airport expansion. Mr. Miller dismissed his opponent.

''John Nunziata has built a career on political stunts,'' Mr. Miller told the audience.

The island airport issue took another turn yesterday as David Collenette, the federal Minister of Transportation, confirmed he had approved amending the agreement between the city, the Toronto Port Authority and the federal government to allow construction of a bridge to the airport. Mr. Collenette noted yesterday that Toronto city council requested this spring that the federal government approve construction of the bridge.

''We had a request last spring from the duly elected council, the port concurred, and at the time all the various requirements had been met and the Government of Canada is obligated under the tripartite agreement to, if its concerns are addressed, to amend that agreement,'' Mr. Collenette said.

Several federal agencies, including the Coast Guard, still need to approve the bridge. Lisa Raitt, the chief executive officer of the Toronto Port Authority, has said those final approvals are expected within the next few days.

Mr. Miller told the National Post he believes the decision could be reversed if he is elected.

''What I will have to do is persuade council to support my position, and then council will have to go to the federal government and ask them to respect the wishes of the people of Toronto as expressed in this election,'' Mr. Miller said.

Mr. Miller spent yesterday morning canvassing with a pack of celebrated authors, including Margaret Atwood, Michael Ondaatje, Nino Ricci, Susan Swan, Dennis Lee, Linda Spaulding and Michael Redhill.

Ms. Atwood said her candidate had the best arts policy of the leading mayoralty contenders.

''David Miller is the only one who has had a consistent, thought-out policy on the arts, which is posted on his Web site. He understands the connection between a city having cultural events and people actually coming to city,'' Ms. Atwood said.

jcowan@nationalpost.com
© Copyright 2003 National Post

Copyright © 2003 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest Global Communications Corp. All rights reserved.
Optimized for browser versions 4.0 and higher.

Back