News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's not just because of Alton Towers...lots of the census tracts in the Milliken area are over 6000 people/km². There's actually not that many boarding houses - the houses themselves are very close together.

within the city, they need to have subways going through all those red and purple spots.

Yes, the populated spots.

Not the red and purple spots of flesh. That'd hurt. The subway going through 'em. Never mind

Yes, the populated spots.

Not the red and purple spots of flesh. That'd hurt. The subway going through 'em. Never mind

LOL!

Notice how the vast majority of the higher density regions are simple low-rise residential neighbourhoods with mixed use commercial streets. People in these areas have ample private and public parking options and there is a dense canopy of trees. Highrise and even larger mid-rise buildings are not necessary to achieve high-density high quality of life neighbourhoods.

If you look at the maps of Toronto and Montreal from the 1970s, you'll notice that both had huge areas of 12,000 ppl/km2 that have since disappeared. In Toronto this was somewhere in the west end and in Montreal, it covered the entire central-east part of the city.

What's up with that? Decrease in household size?

^Back then, there were stretches of Dufferin, Ossington or Lansdowne streets where a Toronto semi-detached house probably housed an extended Italian or Portuguese family. In the 1970s the population of the old city of Toronto was well over 700,000 even though our downtown core was riddled with parking lots.

You can still see traces of that kind of density in those western neighbourhoods if you wander around the backstreets. There are ghosts of old corner stores which at one time may have attracted enough business to justify occupying all 4 corners. I rented an apartment in a converted convenience store on Symington avenue, which was probably the epicentre of that dense low-rise neighbourhood you mention. By coincidence, the receptionist at the company I was working for at the time had grown up in the tiny house right across the street from where I lived at the time, along with her 6 siblings while her father worked in the foundry down the street. This sort of teeming working class Toronto seems so foreign to me, even though it was in full swing no more than 25 years ago.

People may also be renting out fewer rooms/floors in the west end now.

If a family has 5+ people these days, their first choice will be a larger cheap house in somewhere like Scarborough, not a semi-detached sliver of a thing along Dundas.

...and in that light, keep in mind how the extended immigrant family + boarders phenomenon *does* live on in places like Scarborough and even more so the inner 905...to the point where multiple cars in driveways, on lawns, on streets have become a suburban political issue...

^ The Denison area of Markham seems to be ground zero for such things, where for $3XX,XXX you can get a 2000+ sq.ft house with like 6 bedrooms (some in the basement). And you're right about the lawns; you also have room to run 3 clotheslines in the backyard, there's room for 2 cars in the garage, 2 on the driveway, 2 on the street, 1 on the lawn, etc. Any house with less than 3 perpetual cars could be flagged as a grow-op, and I'm totally serious.

I very much doubt that the census accurately counts the population of neighbourhoods like that. There's no way that people would admit that they have illegal basement apartments and basically operate a rooming house. I wouldn't be surprised if, accurately counted, Agincourt/Denison is the densest part of the city. It's already red and purple on the map.

Not rooming houses...there's very few rooming houses (and suburban rooming houses probably wouldn't even have the highest people per household rates - they're not like houses around U of T tht are divided into 12 bedrooms). Just families with two kids and a relative (grandparent, aunt, etc.). Sometimes families with 3-4 people and another 1-2 in a basement apartment. Quite a few houses in the area have 4, 5, 6 people and they do declare this on the census. Other areas in the city have pretty high 'people per household' counts but they aren't areas that have as many houses as large as the McNicoll/Denison zone, which is why the McCowan & Steeles area shows up as purple despite being almost entirely single detached houses. Still, it's not as dense overall as downtown...the roads are too wide and there's too many schools and parks.

I very much doubt that the census accurately counts the population of neighbourhoods like that. There's no way that people would admit that they have illegal basement apartments and basically operate a rooming house. I wouldn't be surprised if, accurately counted, Agincourt/Denison is the densest part of the city. It's already red and purple on the map.

St. Jamestown probably has the same proportion of unaccounted illegal immigrants and it is already one of the densest parts of the country according to official estimates.

Back