News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

And we're retaking the downtown cores of the major cities....the newcomers can have Brampton, Markham, etc...

Good grief. That doesn't sound too good. Retaking downtown? Sounds like etablishing a beach head, a forward base of operations, and preparing for victory. What neighbourhood next Admiral?

How does this poll even make sense? They compare South Asian which encompasses a whole lot of ethnicities and languages and cultures, with Chinese...

China by itself has many languages and ethnicities... There are a lot more differences between the East Asian countries than the South Asian countries...

Do you honestly believe that the diversity within the Chinese community is as large as the diversity between the numerous South Asian communities?

My parents live in Nova Scotia and when I visit summer/Christmas it is a jolt getting off the plane - it is so apparent how white the place is ethnically and also culturally.

It certainly has it's charms - there is a sense of history/community that you don't get in Toronto, but it does have a feeling of being somewhat stagnant when compared to the dynamism of Toronto.

It's kind of strange to go to Timmy's or McDonalds in NS and have 40 year old white ladys at the counter taking your order. That sort of gig is not always a stepping stone type job down there.

Do you honestly believe that the diversity within the Chinese community is as large as the diversity between the numerous South Asian communities?

I think you're missing the point. One's language or ethnicity doesn't make one a 'visible' minority.

I think you're missing the point. One's language or ethnicity doesn't make one a 'visible' minority.

He's not missing the point. The headline is "South Asians Outnumber Chinese," after all. Prometheus already noted how strange the groupings are (what exactly is West Asia?).

these stats remind me of that news story from the vatican the other day stating that islam is now the largest world religion, not catholicism. how can you compare the two? one is a primary religion and the other is division of a religion.

the strangest part of this census is how they have a group called "black". this is a census on visible minorities. can it be anymore stereotypical? contrary to the views of some, black people don't all look the same. an ethiopian looks different from a somalian which looks different from a south african which looks different from a ghanaian, etc.

Breaking News: Koreans outnumber 35-year old Mormon Irishmen.

..er...anyways, I think "West Asia" probably refers to Islamic countries. They could've said Middle Eastern, but whatever....It's funny, they have two regions, West and South Asian, but then they split up east and south-east asia into countries.

..er...anyways, I think "West Asia" probably refers to Islamic countries. They could've said Middle Eastern, but whatever....It's funny, they have two regions, West and South Asian, but then they split up east and south-east asia into countries.

They do have a Southeast Asia group, and an Arab group (in addition to West Asia).

They have a Southeast Asian group but then count a separate Filipino group as well...... They have a "West Asian" group but then count a separate Arab group. ......

Which places have the highest proportion of native (born in Canada) non-Whites? With two thirds of the non-White population being immigrants, it seems like us non-White natives are often thought of as "one of them", a perpetual foreigner prized by the White elite as "cultural diversity" even though we are culturally Canadian.

I'm sure that most of us non-White natives couldn't care less how "White" a place is, as long as we feel part of the community, not an outsider. It seems that a lot of the White elite love to see non-White faces just to feel smug about how multicultural and tolerant they are.

In Canada it would probably be Nova Scotia where there is an old Black Canadian community that dates back hundreds of years. In the GTA I think pretty much everywhere the vast majority of visible minorities are immigrants.

He's not missing the point. The headline is "South Asians Outnumber Chinese," after all.
Aren't they all Asians? Considering that Malaysia is south of India, wouldn't the Malays (Malaysians) be the real south Asians. What about the Turks, Israelis, Saudis and Mongolians, they're Asians too. The term South Asian just does not work, as it doesn't identify properly. Perhaps we need Rob Ford to come up with something witty :)

Which places have the highest proportion of native (born in Canada) non-Whites? With two thirds of the non-White population being immigrants, it seems like us non-White natives are often thought of as "one of them", a perpetual foreigner prized by the White elite as "cultural diversity" even though we are culturally Canadian.

I'm sure that most of us non-White natives couldn't care less how "White" a place is, as long as we feel part of the community, not an outsider. It seems that a lot of the White elite love to see non-White faces just to feel smug about how multicultural and tolerant they are.

..er' okay, so whites are racist if they don't support immigration from other races, but smug if they do? Dude, get your chip off your shoulder. 'Native' Canadians were immigrants here too, they just lost out. Deal!

Back