News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Cities like Edmonton and Saskatoon can use their growth to become more beautiful and livable and fight sprawl. Rather than dismissing these cities, we the citizens of the national metropolis should promote the virtues of urbane development, infrastructure, public spaces, and culture in cities across the country. They need to build more transit and work to eliminate their patchwork of surface parking lots downtown with revitalizing high-density mixed use development. Architects like KPMB, aA, HP, BSN, and Teeple will bring their experience to do it well. This approach will only strengthen the influence of the national metropolis.

White Man's Burden?

No, I say let those Edmonton bastards freeze in the dark. Which they get starting around 4 pm this time of year.

Cities like Edmonton and Saskatoon can use their growth to become more beautiful and livable and fight sprawl. Rather than dismissing these cities, we the citizens of the national metropolis should promote the virtues of urbane development, infrastructure, public spaces, and culture in cities across the country. They need to build more transit and work to eliminate their patchwork of surface parking lots downtown with revitalizing high-density mixed use development. Architects like KPMB, aA, HP, BSN, and Teeple will bring their experience to do it well. This approach will only strengthen the influence of the national metropolis.
Edmonton and Calgary are doing pretty good, expanding their light rail systems at a solid pace. Calgary has 3 routes (2 lines) heading into it's downtown with a fourth under construction and a fifth and sixth proposed, in addition to extensions. Edmonton has 2 routes (1 line) heading into it's downtown with a third under construction and a fourth and fifth proposed, in addition to extensions. This would amount to roughly tripling the length of their LRT networks which already have daily riderships of 250,000 and 90,000 respectively.

I don't know what Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina are planning though. Winnipeg was designed under the expectation that it would be a fair bit bigger than it is today, so the commercial/industrial part of it's downtown has a large footprint relative to it's size (compared to Toronto) and felt kind of empty when I visited last summer. Now that the city is growing again, hopefully the downtown will start to fill up, and areas like the Exchange District will become more lively. Their transit plans at the moment seem to be focused more around BRT services. That's more or less what Saskatoon's transit plans are too, although for now their transit ridership is pretty low, around 25,000 daily riders, barely higher than Oakville Transit. Saskatoon has a lot of land around its downtown too.

Scientific proof that Edmonton sucks.

InfoGraph-Happiest-TorStar-.jpg

Except I worry that all those happy Torontonians were really just tweeting about Joy Division. (And Halifax's largest park is called Point Pleasant, right? Dummies.)

Wow, that's pretty cold.

So are Edmonton and Saskatoon.

And people are moving there.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...newcomers-lead-westward-shift/article2278741/
So GenerationW is correct. k10ery, he is right. At least in raw numbers, SK is the fastest growing. Per capita. Ontario crushes SK. But regaradless GenerationW why do you want us to kiss ROC's ass? They do nothing be crap on Toronto so why should be nice to them exactly? What k10ery said was completely accurate. Saskatoon and Edmonton are both colder than average.

Last edited:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...newcomers-lead-westward-shift/article2278741/
So GenerationW is correct. k10ery, he is right. At least in raw numbers, SK is the fastest growing. Per capita. Ontario crushes SK. But regaradless GenerationW why do you want us to kiss ROC's ass? They do nothing be crap on Toronto so why should be nice to them exactly? What k10ery said was completely accurate. Saskatoon and Edmonton are both colder than average.

Actually, Ontario gets well over 100,000 immigrants a year. Saskatchewan about 7,000. In per capita terms that's about the same. But since there are very few foreign born people in Saskatchewan right now, their share foreign born is increasing much faster than Ontario's.

Why is Ontario's share of immigrants falling? It's partly the western resource boom like I said. But it's also that our Alberta overlords want it that way. (Two of Harper's three immigration minsters have come from Alberta if you can believe it.) They revised the immigration points system to favour people with skills that Alberta employers are looking for. Then they cut the immigrant settlement payments to Ontario. It's crazy cause even though the immigration rate is slowing down there's still a ton of immigrants here in need of language and training services. But that's politics.

Actually, Ontario gets well over 100,000 immigrants a year. Saskatchewan about 7,000. In per capita terms that's about the same. But since there are very few foreign born people in Saskatchewan right now, their share foreign born is increasing much faster than Ontario's.

Why is Ontario's share of immigrants falling? It's partly the western resource boom like I said. But it's also that our Alberta overlords want it that way. (Two of Harper's three immigration minsters have come from Alberta if you can believe it.) They revised the immigration points system to favour people with skills that Alberta employers are looking for. Then they cut the immigrant settlement payments to Ontario. It's crazy cause even though the immigration rate is slowing down there's still a ton of immigrants here in need of language and training services. But that's politics.

And people still say that thew west is not vindictive? We need that money.

One one person in the household has to fill it in, which takes about 15 seconds. Perhaps your mother didn't tell you ...

And you presume I'm a 14-year-old and living at home, how exactly? I live in a house with a bunch of other chumps who never mentioned it so obviously they didn't know. I presume the form comes in the mail, but most of us have our own PO box so never would have seen it.

And you presume I'm a 14-year-old and living at home, how exactly?
I assumed that you were not the only person living at your residence, and wouldn't necessarily have seen the mail. And I assumed that, because it was hard to miss all the Census mailings, particularly if you didn't fill it in (in the 2006 my house still had 2 units instead of the 1 it is now, so I kept getting increasingly irate demands to return the second form they had sent ...).

Forgive me for for simply saying mother than saying mother and/or father and/or sister and/or brother and/or uncle and/or aunt and/or friend and/or roomate and/or wife and/or husband and/or boyfriend and/or girlfriend and/or don and/or ...

I don't recall making any reference to your age.

Is the census compulsory? If so, why did I not hear about it.

Well, there was a national ad campaign. As urban PO boxes are not households, you may not have received a census form by that route. If the house you lived in was included in the last census, it was included the most recent one. An enumerator probably visited your home, but maybe no one was there to answer (or didn't answer).

The census is mandatory. The 2011 census was broken into two parts, the N1 standard census (mandatory) and the National Household Survey - which was voluntary. The NHS replaced the older long-form version of the mandatory census, and it provides much of the detail from which more in-depth statistical analysis can be generated.

Back