News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/459360622728077312/photo/1

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat
The title for Olivia Chow's speech next week: "Overcoming our City's Biggest Challenge" #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/Vfa8S1EsSB
Next Tuesday , noon, at the Board of Trade. $79 to attend.
She is going to talk about 1 her vision for TO and transportation infrastructure, and 2 how to protect the region's prosperity and create jobs by fighting gridlock.

I think this is a good strategy. Moving the conversation beyond "I am not Ford" and into a positive vision for the future.

I went to the Olivia Chow volunteer meeting this evening at Dufferin and Bloor. It was great, although she only talked for ten minutes. I get to meet many different people and we shared our experiences, many of which are fascinating.

There were hundreds in attendance.

Chow once said about people intentionally missing buses and streetcars, simply because they were too crowded. She believed that it was inexcusable for the TTC not to deploy more buses and streetcars.

Chow also said about empowering young Canadians to be more politically active as well. She believes that there should be more jobs available to young Canadians.

There is a wall of post-it notes that the Chow campaign team brings across volunteer meetings throughout the city. I posted one post-it note: Better public transit.

Tory's aim to cancel Eglinton Connects lost my vote for him, and pretty much everyone I've explained his policy to in my neighborhood in Midtown.

Tory made a foolish decision to plan to cancel Eglinton Connects, as EC would benefit me.

Another +1 to Chow and Soknacki

Tory and Stintz compete to validate Rob Ford, because they want his voting bloc. Vowing to cancel Eglinton Connects (not modify or reassess or scale back but cancel outright) is a shout-out to the brave "war on the car" resistors. Think Jarvis.

Tory and Stintz compete to validate Rob Ford, because they want his voting bloc. Vowing to cancel Eglinton Connects (not modify or reassess or scale back but cancel outright) is a shout-out to the brave "war on the car" resistors. Think Jarvis.

So is Stinz also against this? Well, guess that leaves Chow to come up the middle of them both

So is Stinz also against this? Well, guess that leaves Chow to come up the middle of them both
Probably not. The ward she now represents would be one of the areas improved by the investment. I'm just saying that the two of them often try to steal corners of the Ford philosophy/mentality/insanity and in doing so they validate the fool. Tory is doing it here with the Eglinton Connects decision.

A good portion of Stints' support-base is in Midtown, so it'd be a very bad move by her to go against Eg Connects.

And I agree with typezed. Tory and Stintz are just proving that they, like Ford, are not fiscal conservatives. And worse, they don't even know/understand what fiscal conservatism means.

Tory's aim to cancel EC moves him up to the top of the slate even if only temporarily.
The designers and backers of EC have lost sight of the fact that it is a major traffic artery that supports cyclists and pedestrians as it should.

EC seeks to transform Eglinton Avenue into a very long bike path, the extremities of which currently show virtually no bicycle traffic at any time of the year. Trees are nice but this is a major traffic artery not a park.

Many taxpayers think this whole project will be complete in 2020 or so and cost them nothing. Wait til they find out that the cost is projected to be $150 million +/- and this doesn't include burying the hydro lines. The tax bill for Toronto citizens will quite possibly top $200 million or more for a narrower road, largely deserted bike lanes and lots of trees.

Remember St, Clair.

Remember St, Clair.

I remember that St. Clair has become a thriving urban destination street since the ROW went in. If you want to live on a road built to handle as much car traffic as possible, go live up on Steeles.

And with regard to your comment about the bike lane, it's like saying "Why should Markham build a sidewalk along Highway 7? I've rarely seen pedestrians walking along the unpaved shoulder."

f you want to live on a road built to handle as much car traffic as possible, go live up on Steeles.
I doubt he wishes to live on such a street. Based on his former signature, I believe he lives in Don Mills, maybe on a street designed to keep away outside traffic as much as possible. But the people who live on those streets want other streets that people live and work on to operate like expressways. John Tory and Rob Ford and most of council probably also live on streets designed to minimize other people's traffic.

The designers and backers of EC have lost sight of the fact that it is a major traffic artery that supports cyclists and pedestrians as it should.

EC seeks to transform Eglinton Avenue into a very long bike path, the extremities of which currently show virtually no bicycle traffic at any time of the year. Trees are nice but this is a major traffic artery not a park.

Many taxpayers think this whole project will be complete in 2020 or so and cost them nothing. Wait til they find out that the cost is projected to be $150 million +/- and this doesn't include burying the hydro lines. The tax bill for Toronto citizens will quite possibly top $200 million or more for a narrower road, largely deserted bike lanes and lots of trees.

Remember St, Clair.

Eglinton does not support cycling at all the way it could or should. The road isn't going to be narrower and the chief difference with St Clair is that Eglinton LRT will be largely underground and St Clair's current problem is the insistence on on-street parking, not the streetcar ROW or any concessions to cycling or pedestrians.

So major traffic arteries can't have trees along them now?

There is also a good reason why Oakville did not remove the tree on the middle of Bronte Rd. near the QEW.

Back