News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ten years of the CIMA Mayor’s Trophy in Toronto

drew six potential mayors of Toronto to this year’s event, while the master of ceremonies, John Moore of Newstalk 1010, admitted he realized his comment that the next Mayor of Toronto is here today would draw what proved minor criticism from Councillor Doug Ford, brother of current Mayor Rob Ford. Rob Ford has promised to be back on the re-election campaign trail around the end of June.

The five mayoral candidates reported as expected to attend on Friday were all present, namely John Tory, Olivia Chow, Karen Stintz, David Soknacki and Sarah Thompson. Doug Ford effectively represented brother Rob, and an additional mayoral candidate, Ari Goldkind, also attended.

http://www.canadacricket.com/?p=6154

Soknacki deserves credit for bold plan to tackle on-street parking

Soknacki’s move to axe on-street parking shouldn’t be taken as a panacea. If the removal of on-street parking doesn’t come as part of a coordinated plan to improve streetcar and bus service, while also better accommodating cyclists and pedestrians, all we’ll get is more gridlock. Induced demand is a jerk like that.

But Soknacki deserves credit for recognizing that the status quo isn’t working, and proposing a fix — even if that fix won’t be popular with everybody. It’s exactly the kind of bold thinking we should expect from people who want to lead a growing city.

http://metronews.ca/voices/ford-for...it-for-bold-plan-to-tackle-on-street-parking/

i think he explains and defends his plan very well in this video...

http://www.680news.com/2014/06/20/david-soknacki-proposes-on-street-parking-ban-in-downtown-toronto/

Last edited:
Olivia Chow is going all in for World Pride, including our launch party at Woody's tomorrow night.
March with Olivia at World Pride.
The Woody's party was a lot of fun actually. George Smitherman did a rousing introduction for her which also goes to show how both the Liberal and NDP machines may be cooperating on Olivia more than we thought.

Here's who I dubbed Olivia Ciao...
Photo 2014-06-21, 21 28 46.jpg

Some UT members and our (next) Mayor?
Photo 2014-06-21, 22 42 41.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2014-06-21, 21 28 46.jpg
    Photo 2014-06-21, 21 28 46.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 526
  • Photo 2014-06-21, 22 42 41.jpg
    Photo 2014-06-21, 22 42 41.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 514
Olivia Chow monster truck attack ad targets Rob Ford’s return

The first 30-second spot sounds more like an ad for a monster-truck rally than a typical campaign ad. The ad features a distorted voice with a thunderous echo to promote the return of the “most distracting show on earth.â€

[...]

The second ad asks so-called Torontonians how they are “getting ready for the return of Rob Ford.â€

The first, a woman, says she is getting ready to cover her daughter’s ears.

The second, a man, says he is “getting ready for my relatives in Ireland to call and laugh at me, again.â€

And third, another woman, says she is “just generally getting ready to feel embarrassed.â€

http://globalnews.ca/news/1411472/olivia-chow-monster-truck-attack-ad-targets-rob-fords-return/

If raising the min. wage to a living wage is possible (whether it's $15, $13, whatever) why haven't other cities done it?

Seattle is the only American city that I'm aware of that has thought of trying it.

Last edited:
I don't think it is an area the city has jurisdiction over - unlike the US.

As to the value of the minimum wage - I think Australia has one in the 20s - not sure about the pluses and minuses of their policy.

AoD

It is just about time for J Tory to walk away...He doesn't seem to have his heart in it...yeah...yeah...I know it is early however I've come to believe that J Tory really didn't want to throw his hat in the ring nevertheless did because of a seeming groundswell to "coronation"... he wasn't and isn't ready for a proverbial streetfight...He should throw his support behind David Soknacki as DS seems ready willing and able to take it to both Chow and Ford (Stintz is a nonfactor)

With the results of the latest Forum poll in mind I reinterate the above.....

If raising the min. wage to a living wage is possible (whether it's $15, $13, whatever) why haven't other cities done it?

Seattle is the only American city that I'm aware of that has thought of trying it.

San Francisco has long had a minimum wage higher than the state's. Canadian cities simply don't have those kinds of powers. Heck, we can't even have final word over city planning.

Back