News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Getting the TTC back to its proud form of the 1960s involves getting the existing service to acceptable levels as well as simply expanding the system.

Yeah that's why I said I want more funding for day to day operations.

Your being a bit too optimistic ther I think. Getting rid of the capital deficit will cost a couple billion alone.. Getting the service quality up is more important to me than an Eglinton line to the airport or finch to Yonge street.

I know I'm being optimistic. I'm just hoping that OneCity inspired some more ambitious plans from politicians. From what I've heard Chow will apparently have a large focus on transit and Tory was receptive to the revenue tools brought forward in the plan. There may be a tiny glimmer of hope.

Chow is the federal NDP's transportation and infrastructure critic. It would translate well into her mayoral platform.

I agree with TTM. Transit is the most important priority for me and for the city.

A functioning city is a smooth-running city.

Yeah, for me as well. I've been telling this to pollsters for at least four years now.

That's all I'll be looking at. Taxes? Hike them...lower them...I don't care as long as I get good service and increased infrastructure build-out. I travel a lot and hate driving. Throw us a bone....but an efficient, feasible, and worthwhile one, please.

Soknacki was my councillor for parts of the time I was growing up in Scarborough. So, my personal memories of him are clouded by youthful ignorance, but I do remember him being seen in a good light by older people in my life at the time.

Last edited:
Olivia's biggest weakness is becoming apparent to me and I'm glad she'll have an opportunity to polish up on it with her book tour: she can come across as really boring. I think it's the slow and circling manner in which she speaks. Is it just me who's seeing this?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1102194/olivia-chow-doesnt-think-rob-ford-is-a-good-role-model

If she hasn't yet, I think it's very important that she get training in public speaking. Her life's story and her message are inspirational but that doesn't seem to come across when she speaks. Luckily this is something that can be corrected. If it's obvious to me, then her campaign team will have identified this as well.

Yeah I got that impression as well from her interview with George Stroumboulopoulos on CBC a few nights ago. I could feel my enthusiasm about her draining out of me.

The thing about Chow is that with some public speaking lessons she probably could perform much better. I've found her to very personable and even a little charismatic when I've had conversations with her in person. So I'm thinking that the camera, lights, crowds (etc...) may be bringing on a case of stage fright.

When the debates roll around, and if she wants to perform well, Chow will absolutely need to improve her public speaking. This isn't The Agenda with Steve Paikin. Most people (unfortunately) wont be receptive to a snore fest performance, especially since RoFo will be vying to grab the spotlight by obnoxiously rambling on in Patois about subways and downtown lefties. ;)

Edit: There's a chance I may be equating Ford Nashun to the rest of Toronto :confused:

Last edited:
Might the lingering effects of her facial paralysis also have something to do w/her speaking problems?

Might the lingering effects of her facial paralysis also have something to do w/her speaking problems?

You may be right. I don't remember ever being bored by her in the past. I've been around her in public speeches and in face to face conversations when she was a Councillor and it never occurred to me that "I can't wait to get out of here".

I'm not a speech expert but I think she just needs to modify her tone more frequently and project her voice better. It's a small change and not at all hard to learn. Take Barack Obama for example. What makes him so interesting to listen to isn't so much what he says but how he's saying it. Speaking slowly then speeding up then going from a whisper to a confident voice projection keeps people awake and engaged. Obama's hand gestures work to this "pay attention I'm talking" quality but also reinforce what he's saying with a sort of sign language that most people get. Olivia keeps her hands to herself and speaks slowly while beating around the bush before getting to her point.

It would be a shame for people to get hyped up about her through her edited videos and then lose interest when they hear her speak ad-lib in speeches, interviews and debates. But like I said, Olivia has the best campaign team and I'm confident that they haven't overlooked this important quality. They can definitely afford and understand the importance of a dedicated speech coach in a political campaign.

EDIT: I re-watched this last interview and she seems to have gotten better. She's using her hands more but they're off camera most of the time. Around the 5 minute mark, she's modulating her voice way better, sounding enthusiastic. Maybe it's just a case of stage fright after all. That's why I think that this book tour is so important before her official declaration. The interview circuit is great training and she'll be a pro after conducting dozens of them.

Last edited:
TIn particular I'd like to see Eglinton Crosstown extended to Pearson, Finch extended to Yonge and have the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, Jane LRT, Don Mills LRT/subway and Waterfront LRTs built. I'd also like to see a candidate commit to funding the "full" Relief Line from Dundas West Station to Eglinton-Don Mills Station (TBM only covers $7.4 Billion - Dundas West to Pape or St. Andrew to Eglinton-Don Mills).

. :eek:
Why is it that you have in the east the DRL going up to Eglinton, yet not in the west? Should it also not go up to Eglinton in the west at say Weston Rd? Is this not where the future GO station will be?

I don't have any personal experience with Chow but my parents did back in the early 90s. They've always said she was very quiet and polite and seemed to stay in Layton's side often.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat said:
Mayor Rob Ford's spokesman says he's touring a private apartment building in the Kipling & Finch area this AM #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat

Ford is playing up his ground game, trying to build support amongst the working class before the election. This is where he's working to maintain his 'everyman' appeal.

Ford is building his support, grassroots-style. He can spread his claims directly with the people, who will then trust his statements because "It came from the horse's mouty and mainstream media is biased, etc.". With this continuing for nine months, I think most of the suburbs will know well his claims and promises. It also clearly shows in their continued support for him- any other candidate needs to remember that these folks will also be voting.

I like what I'm hearing from Soknacki so far (especially his pledge to take a look at the police budget), but I still think he's potentially too polite and is going to have hard time shaking his Miller label- especially once the campaign heats up.

Last edited:
I like the police budget promise, but he seems lost on the transit front. There really isn't anything that can be done to speed up the LRT, especially because it is a provincial project that the city has little to do with. trying to revert the scarborough subway to LRT is going to do nothing but delay it even more as well, especially because reverting it to LRT would stick it back in Provincial hands and it seems that all potential provincial governments for october will force through the subway anyway, even if its the crappy short one just to STC.

Today.

Congestion on Spadina will increase with the Spadina extension, and in the years after.

No it won't.. Its well, well below capacity.

Spadina is at less than 50% capacity.

Remember that the TTC only runs as many vehicles as it needs. This is why the Sheppard Subway, with its very low ridership numbers, still appears to be crowded in rush hour.

Back