News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We're okay in Canada with just good enough and not the best, Rob Ford is just the latest example of this.
In many cases in Canada we are perfectly fine with just good enough. Personally, I could respect a lot more modest aspirations rather than worldwide searches for superstars. However, that debate about where our standards lie doesn't really apply to the case of Rob Ford. He is a long long way from anything that could be described as 'just good enough'. He is unfit for his job. He doesn't do his job. He hangs with criminals and refuses to speak to the police.

we can not assume that Ford will lose, the recent release of info about his work as a coach is another red herring, it is so easy to get sidetracked. He is not good at his job, and getting all touchy feely on the last day after 4 years of pissing off the council shows what contempt he has for everyone. His sniping about the community housing kids not getting court time with the Raptors was swallowed by some people, they actually believe that he is on their side. He is incompetent. He is arrogant. And he is an embarrassment to this city.

10584553_253029998239939_1233461573_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/797072950359038546_490713653

Attachments

• 10584553_253029998239939_1233461573_n.jpg
    10584553_253029998239939_1233461573_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 395
That sign just makes me think of more coerced wealth re-distribution and a level of gov't stepping out of its role. I don't want the city gov't using property taxes on anti-poverty measures. I want the city to be focused on providing core city services in the most efficient way. Once the roads, sewers, public utilities, infrastructure, emergency services, sidewalks and transit are near perfect, then the city can look for pet projects. I'll be voting for Tory, but you can't win my vote through new spending outside of traditional city services.

Last edited:
I really hope Rob Ford doesn't win. The fact that he is polling so close is scary. Something is seriously wrong with people in Toronto for him to have such high numbers. I honestly think he could win again. And that is sad.

I have viewed the 2010 Ford "victory" as an indication of the real divide that exists in amalgamated Toronto, and from my perspective a second victory by Ford (this time as a loner; no Droug Ford in tow) would ignite the real thing, a class war, a giant screaming match that would last for years.

It may be true that the outliers want some of the benefits that the central Toronto residents have - that may indeed be the message - but OMFG, if that is the case then Ford Nation types need a better envoy; someone with some tact and leadership skills might be able to get down to building one city and address the divisions.

If Ford does indeed win, my partner and I will have to leave this town. It would be a clear message that downtown elites (and we definitely are downtown elites if you all will please pardon my sarcasm) are not appreciated. I wouldn't want to stick around for the screaming matches. And I have never contemplated leaving Toronto, but there you have it.

I am at this point a supporter of the Tory bunch. If Chow gains ground I will switch my allegiance, but I have to admit that I don't like the way she proposes to throw money around. My vote will be an anti-Ford vote.

TonyV, I hear you. I've always thought the "I'll leave town" thing was just being overly-dramatic. But thoughts of Ford winning again really have me thinking about it too. I love Toronto, but I'm not sure that I love a city that would elect this idiot twice, especially given the past four years. I had hoped Ford's term would give us a champion we could rally behind so we could vote FOR someone instead of against someone, but sadly, that hasn't happened. It's depressing.

I listened to some annoying sound bites of Rob's contrite end-of-session speech from Council yesterday. Of course, he said "the past is the past" yada yada yada. Just once, in a really public debate forum, when he starts nattering about his record and a billion dollars, I wish one of the others would say "the past is the past, Rob, let's move on".

In many cases in Canada we are perfectly fine with just good enough. Personally, I could respect a lot more modest aspirations rather than worldwide searches for superstars. However, that debate about where our standards lie doesn't really apply to the case of Rob Ford. He is a long long way from anything that could be described as 'just good enough'. He is unfit for his job. He doesn't do his job. He hangs with criminals and refuses to speak to the police.

I disagree. Apparently at least 1 in 3 Torontonians think he is good enough for mayor despite those very legitimate gripes you have. "He's just one of us" "He's one of the guys" = mediocrity that defines society way too often. It only matters whether you are relate able and not whether you on the most competent, or qualified. But he is also the superstar you describe, because of the media and attention he brings, and the people like the craziness. Rob Ford says a lot about where our standards lie. It does not matter if you are the worst, just shake hands and drink beer and you're good. That tells me out standards are low and out of touch. There should be no way downtown elites are slammed, or that people like Lucy and Tony should leave. That says we don't appreciate our best and brightest either.

Last edited:
Ranting about how people aren't up to the right standards is like going on about kids today. It's meaningless, it's holding reality up against some rosy fantasy. People who support Rob Ford don't think of him as just good enough or as meeting what they think of as some mediocre standard. Just the opposite. He's the taxfighter, the one politician who is different, the one who is working for them instead of taking from them. To them Rob Ford has authenticy. And to some degree he does. At least he can work up some outrage about actions he thinks wrongheaded, unlike his political competitors in this election, who can't muster a sweat of offence when facing off against a criminal mayor who shames the office. Think that is all bullshit or not, Rob Ford stands apart. In a strained adma metaphor, Rob Ford is a McMansion on a quiet street of unremarkable bungalows. Now John Tory, he could be the textbook definition of "just good enough". There I might agree. After four years of the shock of Rob Ford, a place like Toronto should have been able to produce stronger, more dynamic candidates than John Tory. Or Olivia Chow. It's disappointing.

Last edited:
I am at this point a supporter of the Tory bunch. If Chow gains ground I will switch my allegiance, but I have to admit that I don't like the way she proposes to throw money around. My vote will be an anti-Ford vote.

I really can't bring myself to vote Tory, though I agree it would be better to have him elected than Ford. Tory has a horrible transit plan. He's hostile to cyclists. He won't even commit to supporting Open Streets. He's out of touch in the way Mitt Romney is out of touch. He has Kouvalis working for him. He is going to be able to push a right-wing agenda through council far more effectively than Ford could because he isn't an embarrasment.

I voted Smitherman in 2010 (holding my nose very tightly) but I just can't do it for Tory.

I really can't bring myself to vote Tory, though I agree it would be better to have him elected than Ford. Tory has a horrible transit plan. He's hostile to cyclists. He won't even commit to supporting Open Streets. He's out of touch in the way Mitt Romney is out of touch. He has Kouvalis working for him. He is going to be able to push a right-wing agenda through council far more effectively than Ford could because he isn't an embarrasment.

I voted Smitherman in 2010 (holding my nose very tightly) but I just can't do it for Tory.
Yeah, this ^^^

..especially given the past four years.

This isn't overly dramatic? What part of the city is a barren wasteland due to the last 4 years? At worst, Ford as Mayor has produced a pause. Claims the city is in a mud slide to destruction ignores the fact that the mayor has done, and can do, very little.

Back