40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Current Poll numbers
Forum (oct 6) Tory 39v......... Ford 37^.........Chow 22v
Nanos (Sep 20) Tory 49.......... Ford 27........... Chow 24
Ipsos (Sep 26) Tory 48^........ Ford 26v.......... Chow 26v
Mainst (Oct 6) Tory 47^.........Ford 31v............ Chow 22v

My current prediction Tory 45, Ford 31, Chow 23.

My prediction has not changed much since the Forum. I do think it is something to keep an eye on because Ford has been slowly increasing in the Forum poll recently but I will have to see if another Forum poll says the same or a new poll (especially Nanos or somebody that hasn't contribute yet, Ekos where are you?)

I do think there is cause for concern as I never gather that Tory numbers are as solid as we think. He got a lot of anybody but ford and anybody but chow people. The problem is if the Anybody but Chow people see Chow isn't on contention they might just go with Ford (and to be fair vise-versa if Ford was a distant third they might have gone with Chow instead of Tory) In a strange possible irony with the strategic "Anybody but Ford" strategy to vote for Tory it has actually emboldened the hard-right anti-liberal/NDP to go back to Ford without the threat of Chow winning.

I don't think the "Anybody but Chow" cohort is of particular significance. More the domain of disproportionately loud talk radio types who are most certainly already in the Nayshun.

"Anybody but Ford", on the other hand, represents a majority view, perhaps encompassing upwards of 70% of the voting population.

John Tory met Harper over the summer to discuss Toronto issues. Doug was busy handling magicians and wrestlers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/harper-hosted-toronto-mayoral-hopeful-john-tory-at-summer-meeting/article20955984/

How giddy Harper must be about the mayoral election. He'll likely loose every Conservative MP in the city in 2015, but at least the Conservatives have achieved a near-monopoly on Toronto mayoral candidates. The mayoral election is looking more and more like an Alberta provincial election: PC (Tory) vs. Wild Rose (Ford).

John Tory is actually a liberal guy. Some of you on here have no clue what you are talking about. He is actually more of a Liberal than a Conservative. Socially he is 100% Liberal. Financially he's more of a Progressive Conservative.

When I did one of the political monitor things, I came out tied in terms of Tory's policies and Chow's policies. Apparently, I'm conflicted :)

John Tory is actually a liberal guy. Some of you on here have no clue what you are talking about. He is actually more of a Liberal than a Conservative. Socially he is 100% Liberal. Financially he's more of a Progressive Conservative.

I don't usually give politicians credit for not being bigots and religious extremists. As for the rest:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

Yet another debate, at George Brown at noon today.

.. Ford tried to fill in some missing gaps on Tory's resume this morning. I think Tory has the chance, now, to remind the public about the drug dealing allegations against Ford. Gloves off, please; Ford has asked for it.

Aside from all of that, I wish Goldkind's bid had more energy by now. I'd definitely vote for the guy if I thought he could win. What does it take for a brilliant guy like Goldkind to be taken seriously?

So socially liberal that he threatened to defund Pride over a Palestinian rights group (which puts him among the most socially conservative members of city council).

I think people confuse political correctness with actually being progressive. Sure, Tory is polite. He doesn't use ethnic slurs. He's not usually overtly misogynistic. But what are Tory's actual progressive bona fides? What has he actually said about social justice? What is his plan for dealing with the 30% of children in the city who live in poverty? What is his plan to shrink the carbon footprint of the city? Does he care at all about climate change? He has no plans to create bicycle lanes. In fact, his only plan is to cancel bicycle lanes on Eglinton, which puts him in Rob Ford territory.

So socially liberal that he threatened to defund Pride over a Palestinian rights group (which puts him among the most socially conservative members of city council).

I think people confuse political correctness with actually being progressive. Sure, Tory is polite. He doesn't use ethnic slurs. He's not usually overtly misogynistic. But what are Tory's actual progressive bona fides? What has he actually said about social justice? What is his plan for dealing with the 30% of children in the city who live in poverty? What is his plan to shrink the carbon footprint of the city? Does he care at all about climate change? He has no plans to create bicycle lanes. In fact, his only plan is to cancel bicycle lanes on Eglinton, which puts him in Rob Ford territory.

He's not cancelling bike lanes on Eglinton. His problem is with the 1.5 km central section (Mt Pleasant to Ave Rd) car lane configuration. This configuration can easily be changed to what the other 95% of Eglinton Connects has, 2 lanes in each direction plus wide sidewalks and bike lanes, by removing the centre turn lane and parking lay-bys.

He's not "progressive", or as progressive/left as Chow obviously, and I doubt anyone is claiming he is. He's more in line with mainstream Liberal (by which I mean Liberal party), which is partly why he's winning. He's in the centre of the political spectrum, which I think the majority of Toronto falls within. He's not an extreme conservative (which Chow supporters seem to want to portray), nor is he as left-wing as Chow. He has support from both Liberals and Conservatives.

One of the reasons I think Chow isn't doing well is her association with NDP. She's basically too left-wing and progressive for many Torontonians, in my opinion.

I don't know how you can claim that Tory is a Liberal. He was the leader of the PC party in Ontario, and if he wasn't exactly similar to the likes of Randy Hillier or Frank Klees, that doesn't make him centrist, whatever his public image may suggest. He's also a flip-flopper who supported the Fords in 2010, and even was saying nice things about Doug last year.

Maybe he does fit in with the Liberals, inasmuch as he has no particular principles and would happily go wherever the (pandering) wind takes him.

In any case, Miller wasn't any less an NDPer and was elected twice.

I don't know how you can claim that Tory is a Liberal. He was the leader of the PC party in Ontario, and if he wasn't exactly similar to the likes of Randy Hillier or Frank Klees, that doesn't make him centrist, whatever his public image may suggest. He's also a flip-flopper who supported the Fords in 2010, and even was saying nice things about Doug last year.

Maybe he does fit in with the Liberals, inasmuch as he has no particular principles and would happily go wherever the (pandering) wind takes him.

In any case, Miller wasn't any less an NDPer and was elected twice.

Many Liberals and those considered "centre" or mainstream politically are comfortable with Tory, probably more than Chow who obviously has a very strong association with the NDP.

Many areas of Toronto which are normally Liberal have strong Tory support (in fact, he seems to have strong support pretty much everywhere, from what I've read).

Back