News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not so fast.

The only question is which discredited polling firm do you run?
You are absolutely right those predictions I made in August were purposely garish to generate conversation. I had hoped others would also make predictions. Mine did not generate as much conversation as I'd hoped. The whole election cycle centred around the Fords at the detriment to the Councillor races, shucks even here in UT where people like getting into the minutae Councillor races were an afterthought...

Stintz said she wouldn't endorse anyone but ended up endorsing Carmichael. The general reaction to this however was that the Stintz' endorsement hurt Carmichael because Stintz is hated in this ward.

Hated enough to be defeated, had she run again? Dunno about that.

And really: given C-Greb's low winning share, any vestigial likeability/authority about Stintz ought to have had at least a *token* impact here; at least as reinforcement for the Tory endorsement (which, given C-Greb's father, had a bit of a cronyish tinge to it in and of itself)

Hated enough to be defeated, had she run again? Dunno about that.

And really: given C-Greb's low winning share, any vestigial likeability/authority about Stintz ought to have had at least a *token* impact here; at least as reinforcement for the Tory endorsement (which, given C-Greb's father, had a bit of a cronyish tinge to it in and of itself)

I've talked to many people, Stintz is not liked in this ward for one reason or another. Mainly because she allowed developers to do whatever they wanted, and because in her second term the ward has felt abandoned by her.

You are right, incumbent advantage might have been just enough had she ran again for council, that appears to be the way things are in our democracy.

Sure did cast a wide net, didn't he? Can't accuse him of myopic vision at least with the transition team and council...I would think the feelers are already out and preliminary decisions already made for a Deputy Mayor, the Strike Committee composition and the Speakers...

Of course. I like that he is bringing Chow and Soknacki in as well. His team is very professional and well rounded.

Of course. I like that he is bringing Chow and Soknacki in as well. His team is very professional and well rounded.
He also extended an invitation to Doug Ford. Same for Karen Stintz. None of these four are on the transition team though.

BTW, I find it amusing that the Toronto mayoral rejects consider running for PC provincial leadership as a plan B.

Last edited:
He also extended an invitation to Doug Ford. Same for Karen Stintz. None of these four are on the transition team though.

BTW, I find it amusing that the Toronto mayoral rejects consider running for PC provincial leadership as a plan B.

Doug is Doug and he tanked her campaign, so I understand.

Doug is Doug and he tanked her campaign, so I understand.
You understand what? Why none of these four (including Chow and Soknacki) are not on Tory's transition team?

I was just saying I don't understand why you are saying Tory's bringing in specifically Chow and Soknacki, when they aren't on Tory's transition team. He invited them to be involved, yes, but also invited Ford and Stintz as well.

Last edited:

I heard Tory is even looking for a place for Goldkind....shucks, why not big tent even further with Morgan Baskin as Youth Advisor, Munira Akubar as an all encompassing Tenant Advocate and Andray Domise Youth Activity Co-ordinator....
I did notice Tory has Eric Miller as part of his transition council I suppose for transit issues but where are Karl Junkin and Steve Munro?

You understand what? Why none of these four (including Chow and Soknacki) are not on Tory's transition team?

I was just saying I don't understand why you are saying Tory's bringing in specifically Chow and Soknacki, when they aren't on Tory's transition team. He invited them to be involved, yes, but also invited Ford and Stintz as well.
I understand why Doug and Karen turned down his invitation to be involved. I never said that any of the four were on the transition team, just for clarification.
I heard Tory is even looking for a place for Goldkind....shucks, why not big tent even further with Morgan Baskin as Youth Advisor, Munira Akubar as an all encompassing Tenant Advocate and Andray Domise Youth Activity Co-ordinator....
I did notice Tory has Eric Miller as part of his transition council I suppose for transit issues but where are Karl Junkin and Steve Munro?

Steve Munro is not his biggest fan. I will be honest I do not know much about karl junkin.

I understand why Doug and Karen turned down his invitation to be involved. I never said that any of the four were on the transition team, just for clarification.

Steve Munro is not his biggest fan. I will be honest I do not know much about karl junkin.

Junkin is with Transport Action Ontario...he wrote a tome that should be Tory's bible for SmartTrack "GTHA Regional Rail-A Vision for the Future" it is 518 pages long and covers pretty much everything soup to nuts for persuing regional rail on into the future.
Oh and a name I neglected to mention on transit issues Edward J Levy

I respect Steve Munro for his transit advocacy. But let's not forget that he brings along a specific (and somewhat politicized) view of what transit should be. And that's not a viewpoint that jives with Tory's vision.

There's something to be said for diversity on the team. And then there's the stupidity of putting people on the team who may just seek to undermine you. At least someone like Soknacki can be trusted to understand and help pursue the vision of suburban rail, even if he doesn't completely agree with it.

Junkin is with Transport Action Ontario...he wrote a tome that should be Tory's bible for SmartTrack "GTHA Regional Rail-A Vision for the Future" it is 518 pages long and covers pretty much everything soup to nuts for persuing regional rail on into the future.
Oh and a name I neglected to mention on transit issues Edward J Levy
Great. John should definitely get in contact with him. Talking to Ed Levy should be priority number one honestly, he can help John not fail.

I respect Steve Munro for his transit advocacy. But let's not forget that he brings along a specific (and somewhat politicized) view of what transit should be. And that's not a viewpoint that jives with Tory's vision.

There's something to be said for diversity on the team. And then there's the stupidity of putting people on the team who may just seek to undermine you. At least someone like Soknacki can be trusted to understand and help pursue the vision of suburban rail, even if he doesn't completely agree with it.

I don't even think it's that, I just think Steve is not a city hall kind of person. He would not be able to do the blog (which I love) anymore.

What view is that and how does it not fit with Mr. Tory's vision?

What view is that and how does it not fit with Mr. Tory's vision?

Let's start with disagreeing with Smart Track completely. Are we to discount the critical pieces he's written about Smart Track or the endorsement of Chow? And I think it's quite obvious that he would much prefer the LRTs or the DRL before movement on suburban rail. Give him a choice, money for DRL or money for suburban rail. We know which one he'd pick. Unfortunately, that does not jive with Tory or I suspect, the province's vision.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Wynne Liberals secretly are relieved about a Tory victory. The RER plan can win them votes in the 905. The DRL? Not so much. $6 billion goes a lot of further, when spent on suburban rail....at least when it comes to elections.

Back