News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Relief Line is coming regardless of who wins this election. Any candidate who "promises" a Relief Line is just riding on the coattails of a provincial initiative.
That's laughable. Without a mayor and a council seriously pushing for it, a DRL will not happen.

The DRL is being pushed by both the PCs and Liberals on the provincial level, and by every serious mayoral candidate so far. we are in an election campaign for the city right now so expect wild promises to be made, but regardless the DRL seems imminent.

as I said, don't get excited by the prize as everyone will be promising it. (Ford included) You have to look at how they want to get there, not what the final goal is. we are also still 7 months from an election, a lot can happen between then and now, including a provincial budget that will either include funding for the DRL or send the province to an election which could also change things.

going to cross post my post from reddit:

Every candidate will have it there, but there are 2 major things that people need to be looking out for.

The province will be tabling a budget with funding for the first two phases of the DRL in the spring, long before the election. this means 1 of 2 things; either the DRL is funded months before the municipal election, or the province goes to the polls. (preferably the former, as it includes a whole lot more than the DRL)

The other is that every serious candidate (I.E. not Ford) will be promising the DRL. Its an extremely high profile project and is the top priority, and at this point is capable of winning votes throughout the city. (as its worth has been drilled into the publics consciousness for the last 3 years, promising to be a magic bullet that will simply fix all of the TTCs problems, despite the fact that it won't) The way we are going to look at it is how serious are they really? are they proposing things such as restoring TTC crowding levels to pre-Ford cuts? what about BRT lite that Keesmaat has been looking at? What about buying more trains sooner so that the YUS line can actually run at its true full capacity (its about 10 seconds, or 2 trains an hour, off of its maximum throughput currently), especially once ATC is implemented? (the TTC isn't planning a huge jump in frequency as soon as ATC comes online, it doesn't have the trains. Instead it is simply building service very slowly, only using half of the additional capacity given by the new signalling by 2025) what about those 60 new streetcars the TTC wants but couldn't get funding for in the last budget? And most importantly, how the hell do you want to pay for all this? These are the deeper questions that I feel need to be asked beyond the typical screaming of DRL!!!!, Because everyone is going to be saying yes to that.

basically I'm going to be looking for candidates that are promising more than the DRL, as all of them will be promising that and it very well could be funded by the election anyway.

Some key items TTC related I hope to see on mayoral candidates platforms:

1. BRT-lite as Keesmaat has been describing
2. Pre-Ford cuts crowding standards
3. Increased streetcar order to deal with crowding
4. Upping the amount of Trains on the YUS line as much as possible, it isn't at its true limit yet, and won't even be close come 2018
5. Waterfront East LRT/Streetcar

Last edited:
That's laughable. Without a mayor and a council seriously pushing for it, a DRL will not happen.

Yes. That must explain why Metrolinx has committed to building a Relief Line while anti-Relief Line RoFo is in office...

Like I said before, the Relief Line is coming regardless of who wins this election. Our next mayor could be brain dead and it would still be built.

The only situation I see this not being built because of the muni election is if we have a strongly anti-RL candidate. But even then Metrolinx would probably go ahead and build it regardless of what the mayor has to say.

Last edited:
John Tory is a 3 time loser or was it 4? He should have quit politics the last time he lost.
That's just silly logic based on ignorance. Rob Ford has won every election he's ever run in, does that make him your top pick?

Tory won a provincial seat in 2005 and nearly beat Miller in 2003. John Tory doesn't need the money, nor the headache. I don't see it as a thirst for power or reputation, as Ford has shown us that the role guarantees neither. Instead, I think Tory believes the city is facing a crisis and that he has a responsibility and a role to try to fix it. I see nothing wrong with that.

If I was Chow, I'd meet with Tory to get his commitment on a few of her favourite projects, and then return to Ottawa. Trudeau is going to smoke Muclair in Quebec, and she'll be needed in Ottawa to help rebuild team Orange, if she even has that in her.

Stintz has to be pissed as this is the second time Tory has checked her, but if she can get over it she'll be a good deputy to Tory.

It will be interesting to see if Tory keeps nice and focused on the positive, or goes ugly on Ford, akin to "Torontonians, do you want a crack smoking, narcotics buying, homophobic, criminal associating, mysognistic speaking, drunk driving, wife beating, public peeing, McConnell knocking down, rendered powerless, fat f#ck as mayor? Or, do you want to get things done?"

Deputy mayor? Can you elaborate?

Stintz is running for mayor in 2018 or 2022. Her only hope this time around is that all the big name soft-right candidates implode. Failing that she will poll 10-15% and drop out of the race in time to keep her council seat. She'll take that support and endorse another candidate in exchange for being deputy mayor, which gives her visibility for the next time around.

If I was Chow, I'd meet with Tory to get his commitment on a few of her favourite projects, and then return to Ottawa. Trudeau is going to smoke Muclair in Quebec, and she'll be needed in Ottawa to help rebuild team Orange, if she even has that in her.

Why should Chow, or any progressive, support Tory? He's basically positioning himself to be the official representative of the Toronto Board of Trade. What is Tory going to do to help the waiting list for social housing or childcare? What's he going to do to limit the growth of the island airport? What's he going to do to help shrink the carbon footprint of the city?

Why should we lose the strongest potential candidate to unite the left in favor of someone from the crowded centre-right of the field?

Last edited:
John Tory is huge on improving infrastructure. He knows the billions of dollars that congestion costs the GTA in lost revenue. If he promises the DRL then he has my vote hands down. He's a great combo: a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. Is Olivia Chow actually going to run? Why bother? We have our new leader.

So now any conservative who isn't openly hostile to the LGBT community gets to call themselves a "social liberal"? What has Tory ever done in his career to further the rights of minorities? In my view, to be a social liberal you actually need to be an advocate for progressive social change. Is Tory promising to fight for safe-injection and other drug harm reduction strategies to be introduced in Toronto? Does he seem particularly concerned about gender inequality? What's his position on the legalization of marijuana or the rights of sex-workers?

As far as I can tell, Tory is a social conservative that doesn't go out of his way to rock the boat.

Why should Chow, or any progressive, support Tory? He's basically positioning himself to be the official representative of the Toronto Board of Trade. What is Tory going to do to help the waiting list for social housing or childcare? What's he going to do to limit the growth of the island airport? What's he going to do to help shrink the carbon footprint of the city?

Why should we lose the strongest potential candidate to unite the left in favor of someone from the crowded centre-right of the field?

Why should he limit the growth of the island airport? Great, another election that will be fought by the left over some non-issue at the island airport... Remember Miller's boondoggle? We're building that fixed linked he so vehemently opposed...

It wasn't madrasas per se - but all religious-based schools - be it a Pentecostal school or a Jewish day school, or yes, a madrasa - provided they are approved and teach the standard Ontario curriculum (which limits how nutty these private schools can be).

It was a terrible policy, and I don't think it's all that liberal - it promotes private education at the expense of a pretty good, universal public education system here in Ontario, and was more to pander to Protestant but not so much the old-line, more liberal Christian groups such as the Anglican and United Churches) and Fundamentalist Christian and Jewish groups. It might have starved public schools once the cost of all those tax breaks were clear. The right policy would be to abolish the Catholic system - that would have been the liberal and risky thing to do.

Last edited:
That's just silly logic based on ignorance. Rob Ford has won every election he's ever run in, does that make him your top pick?

Tory won a provincial seat in 2005 and nearly beat Miller in 2003. John Tory doesn't need the money, nor the headache. I don't see it as a thirst for power or reputation, as Ford has shown us that the role guarantees neither. Instead, I think Tory believes the city is facing a crisis and that he has a responsibility and a role to try to fix it. I see nothing wrong with that.

The 2003 results show John Tory does not speak for the downtown or large parts of midtown & North York.

BhPwJERCMAAl7wj.png:large

Back