News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

where is all this "if ford is out of the race" coming from?

frevently wishing will not make it so

Yeah, that was me - I just threw the question out there as a hypothetical. I agree that we can't wish Ford out of the race, but at this point the whole story's been so insanely unpredictable that I think we should leave everything on the table.

Last edited:
i'm not taking the online poll seriously, but i'm not taking the landline polls seriously either. i'm just trying to learn something from both.

The difference is that the actual polling companies have some idea of how their sampling might be biased, and can attempt to implement necessary controls.

That internet poll is pretty much as useless as if we just asked people on UT to pick candidates.

The only way Ford isn't in the race is if he dies or maybe if gets arrested. Even with the latter scenario, he could still run. Another relapse caught on video won't make him drop out at this point.

The only way Ford isn't in the race is if he dies or maybe if gets arrested. Even with the latter scenario, he could still run. Another relapse caught on video won't make him drop out at this point.

And if he were arrested after the deadline for withdrawal, his name'd still be on the ballot.

Which reminds me: what's City policy when it comes to candidates who die during the campaign period?

And if he were arrested after the deadline for withdrawal, his name'd still be on the ballot.

Which reminds me: what's City policy when it comes to candidates who die during the campaign period?

I'd be interested in a direct answer to that question, too.

I've done a search of the 2014 Candidates' Guide, and it does not address the question directly. It only talks about withdrawal of a nomination:

"If you decide to withdraw your nomination, you must notify the clerk in writing by the close of nominations (2 p.m. September 12, 2014)."

I am *guessing* that if a candidate expires before that date, their campaign could request the candidate's name be withdrawn. After September 12, too bad, the name stays on. Anyone have a more authoritative answer?

I want to see some fire from her but she is underwhelming. Tory has the advantage of having no accent and he's a better speaker.

Does anyone else find Olivia Chow's cadence unbearable? I've had to fast forward through most of her parts when watching the debates online. Not to mention her talking points are about as original and exciting as Rob Ford's. Why doesn't the left drop her and put their support behind David Soknacki (someone that will actually do great things for this city)? Does anyone seriously believe Olivia Chow is more intelligent and creative than Soks Fifth Avenue? Put your ideology aside. Those on the left don't need to support Chow just because she's Jack Layton's widow and not a conservative. I'm surprised that anyone can feel any passion for this woman. Soknacki is the only genuine, honest candidate of the bunch.

As others have posted, I too get the sense that Olivia is doing this because people wanted/expected her to. I never sense any passion for the job from her. Underwhelming pretty much sums up her campaign so far.

This should be her campaign song: [video=youtube;MkN_qkN5JLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkN_qkN5JLQ[/video]

Yep. Pretty much. Lots of people here trash John Tory but at least he actually wants to be mayor and work on the issues. You can see his passion. I doubt Olivia Chow would be heartbroken if she isn't elected.

As much as I would like it to be, that's not a legitimate poll.

Also, I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Chow didn't really want to run. She's been positioning herself for a mayoral run for years. All those press conferences she gave about transportation, or cycling, or the Lucky Moose incident - they were only superficially given as an opposition critic and local MP. They were really early campaign speeches for the mayor's race. If anything it was Tory who was hesitant to get into the game.

IMHO, Chow detractors at the moment are wishing for a more dramatic speaker, and nothing else. The number of 'she's underwhelming' comments, without specifying any kind of policy issue... but, in this city, that seems to be how people vote. Thus, Ford. Ack.

Either way, Chow has to make a move as summer will draw to a close soon, and the narrative going into the final 7 weeks of the campaign can't be "Olivia is not giving 100 percent." If people are saying that here I can only imagine what the water cooler talk is.

She should win this, but the margin should not be close.

He'd be removed from the ballot as he's no longer a valid candidate. See section 39 of the Municipal Elections Act.

Will Rob be there?

I want someone to ask him if the WT committee member who missed all the WT meetings including the ones behind the expansive bathrooms and umbrellas, should resign. :eek:

The media release from Maple Leaf Strategies gets us no closer to an answer.

The only Maple Leaf Strategy I know is having an epic meltdown at the end of the season :)

lol @ "super old vote" :)

Maybe they don't approve of his crack smoking ways.

Those are some interesting stats. Tory does terribly with young people, but makes it up in middle-aged & old. I'm surprised Ford does so well with the young.

I am actually very pro elderly when it comes to Ford. They seem to be willing to tell him off way more than youth who seem to be most concerned with their selfie collection, or even people in the 30s or 40s. I will always appreciate the East York parade post robhab and it was older folks who stood up to him there. Also my favorite was Remembrance day when a vet refused to shake his hand. Good for him. It's called having standards.

unnamed (1).jpg

We have a really important vote happening at City Hall next week.

Two months ago we asked you to contact your City Councillor about new voting machines. Councillors Paul Ainslie and Joe Mihevc had brought forward a motion which ensures that Toronto's new voting machines will be capable of processing ranked ballots.

Without the right machines, we will not be able to use ranked ballots for our local elections!

At the time, City Council postponed their decision and sent the motion to the Government Management Committee. On Monday, the Committee will debate and vote on this crucial motion.

http://www.123toronto.ca/gm_32_31.htm

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 464

Back