News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Political Phrases to Know Ahead of Election Day

“The only poll that matters is the one on Election Day”: The standard spin move of the candidate who trails in polls. As the Rothenberg Report’s Nathan L. Gonzales wrote in a 2012 column, “This doesn’t guarantee defeat in the upcoming election, but it means you are losing the race at the time and have no empirical evidence to the contrary.”

Among those who’ve recently said or tweeted some variation on the expression is Republican Ken Cuccinelli, who lost his bid for Virginia’s governorship in 2013 after polls showed him consistently trailing Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the race’s concluding months. So did Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, after he was caught on video smoking crack and his approval ratings took a nose dive.

But winning candidates increasingly say it, too—just to ensure their supporters don’t get complacent and decide to stay home on Election Day.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ses_to_know_ahead_of_election_day_123766.html

latest.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-over-ford-in-new-globe-poll/article20312607/

also...

Fourth-placed candidate David Soknacki’s support remains in the single digits, with 3 per cent among decided voters, but he is the second choice of 14 per cent, the poll finds.

“His chance of winning is remote, but he could have input with an endorsement,” Mr. Nanos said.

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I think Soknacki has run a great campaign, but considering how evidence-based/logical it's been it seems a little silly that he's still hanging in there when he polls at 3%. I hate to say it since I've dontated to him and backed him at points, but I think it's time to drop out and endorse Tory or Chow.

I think Soknacki has run a great campaign, but considering how evidence-based/logical it's been it seems a little silly that he's still hanging in there when he polls at 3%. I hate to say it since I've dontated to him and backed him at points, but I think it's time to drop out and endorse Tory or Chow.

If the latest poll is to be trusted, Tory doesn't need him and Chow wouldn't be helped by him. Would rather see him stay in the race and reminding the city that policy matters.

If the latest poll is to be trusted, Tory doesn't need him and Chow wouldn't be helped by him. Would rather see him stay in the race and reminding the city that policy matters.

exactly. plus... not everyone would switch from soks to tory or chow. if soks did in fact pull out of the race, i'd be left having to choose between one of the "fringe" candidates.

exactly. plus... not everyone would switch from soks to tory or chow. if soks did in fact pull out of the race, i'd be left having to choose between one of the "fringe" candidates.

What you're pointing to is just how weak the front runners in this campaign are, and I wholeheartedly agree. I expected way more from Chow and Tory at the outset and it's been a shock to see just how remarkably thin and uninspired their platforms are.

Last edited:

Yeah, you're probably right. Dropping out was more of a concern when Ford seemed to have gained a few points.

Back