News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Its too bad we can't pick and choose each of the candidate's platforms, instead of only one candidate and that candidate's platform.

FWIW, the few people I know who voted for Ford in 10 quickly regretted it. To them, he was the best of a bad bunch. And yes, they were relatively right of centre.

To sum up Ford's current supporters, during the last provincial election I had a friendly conversation about politics with a customer. He said he didn't vote because he simply wasn't interested in politics and policy, and figured to let those who are decide what is best. I agreed with him, and as I was going to mention Ford's win as to why such people should stay home, he interrupts to say that if he lived in Toronto he would vote for him.

These are the kinds of people that make up Ford Nation.

Apparently Olivia Chow is about to make a statement about the Island Airport. TV crews are setting up at Little Norway Park just outside the airport. (I'm sure it won't be anything surprising, Chow's stance on the airport is well known)

What Liberal/centrist/moderate?

John Tory is a conservative. Heck, he's the former party leader. He's neither centrist nor Liberal.

I'm centrist ... typically voting Liberal, sometimes NDP, sometimes Green, and occasionally even PC. John Tory isn't centrist. The guy wants Toronto to institute fines for pan-handling. Does that sound centrist? Does supporting Rob Ford in the last election sound centrist?

If only we had a Liberal/centrist candidate ...

Though how this would elect Ford I don't know. There hasn't been a poll yet that shows Ford anywhere close to Tory (that Forum poll the other day where they normalized the data to cover the lack of data in the 18-34 range doesn't count ... look at the raw numbers ... it was Tory 47% to Ford 33% before they "fixed" it.

If you been convinced you have to vote for a Conservative like Tory to keep out Ford, then you fallen for the right wing trickery.

The danger with these labels is that they are vague, vary based on context and shift over time. While Toronto reliably votes Liberal/NDP in provincial and federal elections, it seems that people tend to lean more "Right" on municipal issues (like roads, transit, policing, utilities) so what constitutes a "centrist" at the local level is different than the provincial level. I would bet you that a majority of voters would support a ban on panhandling if asked, so by definition such a policy could be considered mainstream or "centrist".

I think this was discussed already, but Tory himself seems to have a very fluid political orientation depending on how the winds are blowing. Despite your efforts to paint him otherwise, he is no extremist - perhaps the definition of a centrist, he supports whatever he thinks the people will like.

Apparently Olivia Chow is about to make a statement about the Island Airport. TV crews are setting up at Little Norway Park just outside the airport. (I'm sure it won't be anything surprising, Chow's stance on the airport is well known)
Quoting myself to update :)

She made a statement that John Tory is in a conflict of interest position with regards to the airport

Quoting myself to update :)

She made a statement that John Tory is in a conflict of interest position with regards to the airport

Doesn't seem to have been reported by any media. They must be saving their energy for whatever crap Doug thinks of dropping on us. That stuff is always guaranteed top shelf.

More straw grasping.

I find it funny that at the outset Olivia said the DRL shouldn't even be an election issue and wouldn't commit to it, but now she's running on it being her top priority in todays debate.

Last edited:
I find it funny that at the outset Olivia said the DRL shouldn't even be an election issue and wouldn't commit to it, but now she's running on it being her top priority in todays debate.
Not as half as funny as Tory promoting the Smart Track as a DRL, and then later saying we need a DRL as well, and then being very unclear about the whole thing.

Tory still hasn't put the DRL or the 2 LRT lines that he's committed to on his transit map. That's really funny ... and not in an amusing way.

More straw grasping.

Shifting priorities, willy-nilly, meandering, whatever. She's lost in the woods now. I wonder what it is that Olivia Chow really wants to do.

FWIW - my little street in Cabbagetown has a lot of Tory signs, only one Chow sign.

I wonder what it is that Olivia Chow really wants to do.
Breakfast programs, more community support for disadvantaged youth. Probably been her area of focus her entire career. It's necessary work, but you decide if it's substantial enough scope for the mayor of a city growing as crazy as Toronto.

Has anyone on this thread actually participated in a poll? Do you have a land line? I got a call from a polling company I'd never heard of - "Canadian Research Institute" or something like that, and actually went through the poll on principle. It took six and a half minutes to go through the whole thing! It's no wonder that they are inaccurate! How many people have the inclination to sit through those things?

I've received three calls over the last two nights from different polling companies. I may have got one or two other calls since the start of the election campaign. Canadian Research Institute (IIRC) was the first and the longest of the latest bunch. The first question was concerning what was the most important election issue, with the first option being "garbage collection"; "transit" was one of the last of about 7-8 options. As the poll continued, it seemed that the questions and answer options were skewed towards a particular candidate. By the end of the poll I'm more interested in the questions than what responses I'm providing. With the first poll fresh in my head, I was listening to what questions/options were not asked/provided during the second and third polls.

Goldkind has gotten more coverage in the mainstream media over the last week or so with his inclusion (and exclusion/re-inclusion) in more debates, yet he was never an option in any of the recent polls. The options are Chow, Ford, Tory, and don't know/undecided. Only one question in all of the three polls had an "other" option. Though he is still a longshot, I would like to see what his numbers would actually be, or how his inclusion would affect the other candidates numbers, if he was an option in some of the polls. If he's participating in more debates, why not the polls?

This is what drives me nuts about these polls. They only ask which of the three leading candidates you would vote for. So, if you're not planning to vote for any of the three, you're likely to hang up and not complete the poll. Lesser-known, "fringe" candidates have no chance of ever polling better because they're never included.

Of course, it's a double-edged sword, because even before he pulled out, Happy Happy probably shouldn't be included in the polling. So how do you decide which candidates to ask about? Use more sophisticated software that lets you speak the name of your candidate rather than choose from a list of 3? You couldn't list them all because no one is going to wait to choose to enter 65!

FWIW, the few people I know who voted for Ford in 10 quickly regretted it. To them, he was the best of a bad bunch. And yes, they were relatively right of centre.

In his first year his approval rating went from the 60% (which is normal for a honeymoon period for a new mayor) to under 50% into the 40s, which is really horrible for a sitting mayor especially so early on. His "real vote" went from his election win of 47% to mid-30s which is about a quarter of his vote and it never came back.

I think when they noticed his "no service cuts" and then he did right away. People left. The drama and freak outs he had in his first year turned people off as well.

So the idea of Teflon Rob is a bit false. Sure the bottom never fell off him but the idea that he is "popular" and held on to his voters is just a lie. The thing is when the crack scandal hit, his popularity was already low so if you just noticed from "crackgate" on, it doesn't seem like a big drop. There wasn't a drop because all the people who voted Rob knew it was a mistake in the first year, way before the crack story came to light and jumped ship already.

The teflon label doesn't come from his popularity numbers so much as from how he manages to get away with all the crap he pulls without being arrested, convicted, booted out of office, etc.

Back