News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Transit platforms: Are the experts on board?

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ansit_platforms_are_the_experts_on_board.html

In a city where everyone claims to be a transit expert, Ed Levy is the genuine article. He’s the author of the definitive history of Toronto’s transit follies and has six decades of planning experience.

- A champion of the downtown relief line, he is skeptical of John Tory’s SmartTrack plan. That platform is predicated on the provincial regional express rail strategy to electrify GO trains and offer 15-minute, two-way service across the system. Levy fears it will give politicians an excuse to put a relief line on the back burner.

- He likes Olivia Chow isn’t drawing lines on transit maps. Instead, she says she has ceded her platform to the professionals at city planning and the TTC, focusing instead on here-and-now issues such as overcrowded, infrequent TTC buses, and promising longer-term commitments to the downtown relief line.

- His reservations about SmartTrack range from the timing — he thinks Tory’s seven-year promise is wildly ambitious — to Union Station’s limited capacity. He’s also skeptical that SmartTrack can provide sufficient relief from crowding on the Yonge subway.

- “If you look at the map, the northeast and northwest extent of SmartTrack (Tory’s proposed trains would run along the GO Kitchener and Stouffville tracks) is a long, long way from the Yonge corridor. There’s no doubt that if it were buildable it would do something. But it would not compensate anything in the central core. … It’s too far east and too far west,” says Levy, who notes that the congestion on the Yonge subway is due largely to riders from York Region.

- Tory says SmartTrack would alleviate gridlock and act as a surface subway, running every 15 minutes through 22 GO stations, including some new ones, from the airport office hub to the Markham technology centre. Levy has yet to be sold. Too many of the commuters to those job centres are travelling from outlying suburbs to outlying office parks.

A 40-year transit planner in the public and private sector, David Crowley helped create the Transportation Tomorrow Survey, the database that is, or should be, the foundation for planning decisions.

- “People should be making better use of the data we have to address the problems that matter to people today,” says Crowley.
Among those issues is the proliferation of poorly paid, part-time service industry jobs filled by transit-dependent workers. Crowley worries that SmartTrack, Tory’s version of the electrified, 15-minute GO service, threatens GO’s greatest asset: its ability to carry long-distance commuters directly into the downtown rather than putting them on the subway.

- “It ignores the fact that those three lines that serve south York Region (Barrie, Unionville and Richmond Hill), have already attracted more than 50 per cent of commuters. They demonstrated that it’s not frequency we need; we need increased capacity. If we can slot in another train or two, we can divert 6,000 to 7,000 people from the Yonge subway,” he said.

- Crowley thinks the downtown relief line is a more urgent project, and it needs to run north of the Danforth to Eglinton. “We’re overloading the Yonge line. We’re going to strangle the golden goose, the growth of the downtown,” he said.

The director of the University of Toronto’s Transportation Research Institute, Eric Miller, says there’s a lot to like about Tory’s SmartTrack proposal. He also applauds Olivia Chow’s back-to-basics drive to boost bus service.

- “I’ve never been a big fan of the downtown relief line,” he said. It’s just too expensive for what it offers, he added, particularly in the short first phase running from about Pape Station on the Danforth line to somewhere around Union Station. It would not divert a single York Region rider who boards the subway at Finch so that by the time the train gets to Eglinton, no one can get on.

- It also would not divert any of the eastbound riders who switch trains at the Yonge-Bloor Station to head south into the downtown on the subway. The crowding there is adding to dwell time at the interchange and slowing trains all along the Yonge line, said Miller. Because it runs through the heart of the city, the relief line also has limited development potential.

- Tory’s SmartTrack, he says, would attract Scarborough and Markham riders to the GO system. But Miller cautions that transit officials should avoid putting too many stations on SmartTrack. “This has been a problem with the Crosstown. The TTC and city view it as yet another kind of high-volume but kind of local service.

Councillor Gord Perks (Parkdale-High Park), a transit activist long before he went to city hall in 2006, supports Olivia Chow’s plan to expand off-peak bus service and build a downtown relief line. He doesn’t necessarily buy the TTC’s assertion that there aren’t sufficient buses and garage space to immediately boost rush-hour service.

- Chow has said she would increase off-peak bus service immediately and inject $15 million from the city budget into more bus service. But transit staff say the system doesn’t have enough buses to beef up the peak service immediately. Even if it did, it’s $100 million short of what it needs to build a garage to store and maintain the extra buses.

- Perks suggests that leasing garage space and perhaps even buses might be one way to realize a more immediate solution. “Yes, a leased bus or garage will cost more than if you’re just buying them off the shelf. But we need to know what that figure is rather than being told, ‘We can’t.’ And the order of magnitude for paying a premium because you’re leasing a bus or leasing a storage facility, compared to electrifying the entire GO system, is substantial,” he said.

- Perks says there is a dedicated group of transit watchers in Toronto who believe improving the frequency of surface transit, where crowding is endangering ridership levels, is the cheapest, fastest way to move people “and take a little chip out of our congestion problem.”

1412895444164.jpg

Say Tory gets elected.

What kind of timeframe are we looking at for Metrolynx to study SmartTrack, determine its infeasibility, and get back to council?

Say Tory gets elected.

What kind of timeframe are we looking at for Metrolynx to study SmartTrack, determine its infeasibility, and get back to council?

90 days for EA. Council gets back in the new year. It could be approved by May 2015 if everything goes according to plan.

Say Tory gets elected.

Ford took office end of 2010, then in the early 2011 Metrolinx & Ford negotiated a plan that didn't look much like Ford's pre-election plan.

For example, in Rob Ford's 2010 campaign plan, Eglinton didn't have any rapid transit. In the 2011 negotiated plan with Metrolinx, Eglinton was a fully underground LRT instead.

My personal guess is, if Tory is elected, he will begin negotiations with Metrolinx re: RER phasing & implementation. How close he gets to the pre-election version of SmartTrack is really up in the air (probably not that close).

I would assume his #1 priority would be to make the track work for all day two way along Georgetown and Stouffville (double tracking), as well as electrification. He would probably try to convince Metrolinx to prioritize those two lines at the top of the RER implementation plan.

I could easily see the Eglinton West branch being given up or "pushed to a later phase" or something like that. If it actually moves forward, I'd assume he needs to start EA on that.

Of course, most of the provinces transit plan would not require change or negotiation (Finch, Sheppard, Eglinton, Scarborough).

What a confusing mess of freaking pie-in-the-sky transit plans. Vote for me, I will build this and that, ad nauseam. As always, most of it will never happen.

To be fair, Chow's plan is pretty much Metrolinx' identified priority projects. The only real deviation her plan has is the increase in bus service, which is more of an operations issue than anything else. The other two? Well...

Say Tory gets elected.

What we will get is GO RER, with more stations and with fare integration, so that the province can crow about it like they should when it opens, and Tory can say 'I got you more stations, and I got the fares integrated'. Those items are already in the provincial government's plan of course, but the rule of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' is truer in politics than anywhere, and there will be enough to boast about when this is done that every elected official will get to smile and strut about.

What we will get is GO RER, with more stations and with fare integration, so that the province can crow about it like they should when it opens, and Tory can say 'I got you more stations, and I got the fares integrated'. Those items are already in the provincial government's plan of course, but the rule of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' is truer in politics than anywhere, and there will be enough to boast about when this is done that every elected official will get to smile and strut about.

Agreed. Things will become a lot clearer in December when Metrolinx has their BoD meeting and details the plans for GO RER. Whether or not they were already planning doing a SmartTrack-esque implementation, or if they quietly took queues from SmartTrack in anticipation of Tory winning, we'll likely know then.

Either way, I suspect the GO RER plan will be similar enough to SmartTrack that Tory can claim victory while abandoning some of the less well thought out sections of his plan *cough* Eglinton West *cough*. Tory doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go to war with Metrolinx over every detail of his plan. I think he'd be satisfied with the general idea of SmartTrack being rolled into an official Metrolinx GO RER plan (even if those ideas were going to be included anyway).

Agreed. Things will become a lot clearer in December when Metrolinx has their BoD meeting and details the plans for GO RER. Whether or not they were already planning doing a SmartTrack-esque implementation, or if they quietly took queues from SmartTrack in anticipation of Tory winning, we'll likely know then.

Either way, I suspect the GO RER plan will be similar enough to SmartTrack that Tory can claim victory while abandoning some of the less well thought out sections of his plan *cough* Eglinton West *cough*. Tory doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go to war with Metrolinx over every detail of his plan. I think he'd be satisfied with the general idea of SmartTrack being rolled into an official Metrolinx GO RER plan (even if those ideas were going to be included anyway).

Who knows, maybe the city would end up paying for the phase II extension of Eglinton instead and leave RER entirely to the province. Makes more sense from a jurisdictional perspective.

AoD

The SmartTrack plan has solidified that any RER-style implementation must:
- Be fare integrated with the TTC
- Be high frequency (every 15 min or better)
- Include infill stations

I know the province has stated that they intend to fulfill these characteristics anyway. But, as with all projects, there is good reason that believe that RER will eventually face a reality check/rationalization/cutbacks/The Cheapening® (however you may wish to refer to it). Tory getting elected with SmartTrack as part of his platform will help ensure that RER will meet these three characteristics within the city of Toronto. It will also help ensure that high frequency, fare integrated RER service is a higher priority to the province than RER to Kitchener or Barrie or some other 905 community where there isn't a high-profile mayor with RER as a major plank is his or her platform.

This is compared to Olivia's position, which doesn't seem to call for improved service at all (look at her opposition to double tracking of the Stouffville line) as long as Kitchener and Lakeshore are electrified. Ford's position seems to be either "I don't give a crap!", "What the hell is GO transit?", or "I'm opposed because it's not underground subways".

That said, I think Olivia could take the steam out of Tory's SmartTrack more effectively. Rather than focussing on the details, put the provincial RER concept in her platform (for ALL GO corridors) and say that "I will do what's needed to ensure that the province delivers on the RER as they promised. Delivered on time, fare integrated, frequent, fast, and convenient".

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe the city would end up paying for the phase II extension of Eglinton instead and leave RER entirely to the province. Makes more sense from a jurisdictional perspective.

AoD

That would certainly make sense. If SmartTrack has done anything for Eglinton West, is it's put it back in people's minds as an "oh yeah, we should probably build something there". Before SmartTrack, the talk was all about Scarborough (Subway vs LRT), the DRL, and Finch.

The SmartTrack plan has solidified that any RER-style implementation must be:
- Be fare integrated with the TTC
- Be high frequency (every 15 min or better)
- Include infill stations

I know the province has stated that they intend to fulfill these characteristics anyway. But, as with all projects, there is good reason that believe that RER will eventually face reality check/rationalization/cutbacks/The Cheapening® (however you may wish to refer to it). Tory getting elected with SmartTrack as part of his platform will help ensure that RER will meet these three characteristics within the city of Toronto. It will also help ensure that high frequency, fare integrated RER service is a higher priority to the province than RER to Kitchener or Barrie or some other 905 community where there isn't a high-profile mayor with RER as a major plank is his or her platform.

This is compared to Olivia's position, which doesn't seem to call for improved service at all (look at her opposition to double tracking of the Stouffville line) as long as Kitchener and Lakeshore are electrified. Ford's position seems to be either "I don't give a crap!", "What the hell is GO transit?", or "I'm opposed because it's not underground subways".

That said, I think Olivia could take the steam out of Tory's SmartTrack more effectively by, rather than focussing on the details, putting the provincial RER concept in her platform (for ALL GO corridors) and saying that "I will do what's needed to ensure that the province delivers on the RER as they promised. On time, fare integrated, frequent, fast, and convenient".

Agreed completely. SmartTrack as a plan probably won't be independently implemented, but it's set the ground rules for what Toronto's expectations are from GO RER. And yes, Chow could simply say "I want to hold the Province to their RER promises. They have said they will electrify all GO lines and run 15 min service within Toronto. I think this is a great idea, and I will make sure they stick to that promise." Tory's SmartTrack map would look pretty weak in comparison.

Chow is toast and she deserves to be.

Chow thought she could ride the coattails of her late husband and cruise into an easy victory. Her transit plan is pathetic both in scope and vision and she never even bothered to check if increased bus service was even an option with current rolling stock levels. Her transit plan was written on the back of a napkin and she has proven completely uninspiring and clearly Torontonians view her this way.

She really is the classic "downtown elitist" who thinks everybody can walk or bike to work and transit isn't for moving people but rather for social integration......something fun and enjoyable as sooooo urbane. She has the nerve to try to say that she is the only one who truly understands the needs or working families and will be more than happy to talk about it to you over a martini at the Four Seasons. She is the type who feels that her message is misunderstood and that people simply "don't understand" her ideas. The reality is quite different. Torontonians understand her and her plan very well and like neither one.

I guess the difference with Tory is that he freely admits he is a wealthy man and doesn't pretend to know what it's like to live on the street or spend an hour commuting to your minimum wage job. He simply doesn't have the arrogance of Chow who claims to know she does.

Agree or disagree on her position, I don't recall her having ridden the coattail of her husband - that line of argument seems to come from those who have the most to gain by painting her as someone elses' woman.

As to the bus plan claims - the timing maybe off, but it is no worse than Smarttrack or gawd forbid the pie in the sky subway "plan". You certainly can't fault her for being the candidate who used transit most.

AoD

90 days for EA. Council gets back in the new year. It could be approved by May 2015 if everything goes according to plan.
Hang on. You don't start with an EA. There'd be pre-EA studies and consultation first. With the accelerated EA process, there isn't enough time in the 90-day EA to develop a shortlist of options and consult on the recommended option.

If you look at the DRL studies, there's almost a 2-year study preceding the 6-month EA.

DRL Study.png

Council doesn't first meet until December. Even if they approve this day 1, and contractors are hired immediately, your not looking at a conclusion until late 2016, so at best the EA could be completed in mid-2017. But that seems optimistically fast to me.

I expect what will really happen, is there'll be a meeting with Tory and the province, and they'll convince him that they are already building SmartTrack, toss him a bone of 15-min frequencies and consider a couple more stations, and perhaps a through train from Mount Dennis through Union and up to Stouffville, and Tory will concede that extending the Eglinton RT west is a better use of resources ... and everyone will shake hands, and end this farce.

Attachments

• DRL Study.png
    DRL Study.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 399
Chow is toast and she deserves to be.
Does she deserve to be on the receiving end of racism? The behaviour of the right-wing attacking her makes me want to vote for her more than anything else.

Chow thought she could ride the coattails of her late husband ...
When has Chow ever ridden her husband's coat-tails (well, any more so than any other NDP candidate)? She's always been scaringly independent in my mind. Doesn't her past record on council demonstrate that? Doesn't her supporting programs her own husband worked hard to cancel show that?

Her transit plan was written on the back of a napkin and she has proven completely uninspiring and clearly Torontonians view her this way.
Again, I think you've mistaken her for John Tory!

I guess the difference with Tory is that he freely admits he is a wealthy man and doesn't pretend to know what it's like to live on the street or spend an hour commuting to your minimum wage job.
Which surely is part of the reason one shouldn't vote for John Tory. I suppose it's the natural choice for those in the right-wing - but what about the 70%+ of Torontonians who don't tend to vote Conservative?

Back