News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think it's just as likely we're hearing less calls for proportional representation because Trudeau has promised electoral reform.
Presumably the reform will be ranked balloting or instant runoff.

Which would lead to less right-wing and left-wing candidates elected and more centrists.

And more majorities.

Salsa: Thanks for the CBC Link - answering further my 2015 Election questions as to seats that were won by Party...

The reason I asked about a "coalition" government with the NDP and BQ is that I did not know the numbers at that point and I heard
mention in a US news report that depending on how many seats the Liberals won that it may be needed to form a new Government...

184 is a solid victory for the Liberals over 99 Conservative seats - with 44 NDP seats, 10 BQ seats and one Green Party seat...
Will the NDP and BQ align mainly with the Liberals to form a huge center-left Canada Government under Justin Trudeau?

LI MIKE

NF: Did not know that the NDP and BQ did not get along with the Liberals - Do they align more with the Conservatives?

Does a Trudeau Liberal victory keep any Quebec separatist thoughts down?

LI MIKE

Presumably the reform will be ranked balloting or instant runoff.

Which would lead to less right-wing and left-wing candidates elected and more centrists.

And more majorities.

Do you have any sources for that? I'm not trying to be an ass by asking...I'm genuinely curious. Conceptually it would seem like it should lead to fewer majorities. More people voting for their actual preferred candidate (ranking first) rather than strategic voting. I would expect more seats to be won by some of the smaller parties (ie green) even if not exactly proportional. I'd also expect an eventual fracturing of the lager big tent parties.

NF: Did not know that the NDP and BQ did not get along with the Liberals - Do they align more with the Conservatives?

To the extent that, traditionally, the NDP are a bit further left of centre than the Liberals there is, traditionally, more common ground between them and the Libs than them and the Cons.....but there does seem to be a bit of bad blood between the current leaders and since there is absolutely no need for Trudeau to reach out and fix that......he needs no one to align with him on anything. He has been granted a strong majority and is free to govern and deliver on his promises.

The BQ has one mandate and one mandate only.....to improve the lot of the people of Quebec and move forward in creating an environment where a nationalist/separatist agenda can thrive. They will support any party that is pandering to Quebec (which they all do at times) and creating a better situation for Quebec people. When the governing parties are dealing with matters not involving Quebec they will sit silently and when (as is the case most of the time) the governing party is dealing with a national matter equally and fairly for all regions....they will raise their voices and say that Quebec deserves more and that is why they need to break away from Canada.

Does a Trudeau Liberal victory keep any Quebec separatist thoughts down?

LI MIKE

Nope...does nothing to foster them (although I am sure the BQ and PQ will try and paint it that way) nor does anything special to quell it.

Do you have any sources for that? I'm not trying to be an ass by asking...I'm genuinely curious. Conceptually it would seem like it should lead to fewer majorities. More people voting for their actual preferred candidate (ranking first) rather than strategic voting. I would expect more seats to be won by some of the smaller parties (ie green) even if not exactly proportional. I'd also expect an eventual fracturing of the lager big tent parties.
Proportional representation could lead to fewer majorities and more parties on the extremes. Ranked balloting could lead to more majorities and more centrists because the extremes and single-interest voters might be expected to navigate towards the centre on the second and third choices. Two different approaches to democratic reform.

Back