News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

52% in Toronto now get to work by public transit, biking or walking. There are as many transit commuters as there are single-person vehicle commuters. 9% carpooling.

upload_2017-11-29_10-48-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-29_10-48-25.png
    upload_2017-11-29_10-48-25.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 875
Also incredible that 1/4 of new car commuters in the GTA are in Brampton. That municipality is incredibly suburban.

That is a spectacularly high number. Why Brampton over other suburbs? Does it come down to poor planning practices, cultural differences?

That is a spectacularly high number. Why Brampton over other suburbs? Does it come down to poor planning practices, cultural differences?

planning practices. Although transit is well provided, the built form is incredibly hostile to anything but driving. Driving is convenient, generally congestion free, and very fast. Built form is primarily low density, large lot detached with lots of easy parking at every destination. There is no real reason not to own an automobile, and use it for all of your trips. Densities are low, roads are wide, and destinations far apart.

Look at this image: this is roughly 6 square km of Brampton. There is an express bus along Queen street on the southern portion of the area, but there is not a single apartment use in the entire image. Retail is provided in 2 suburban plazas in the northwest and southeast corners of the image. Nothing but large, detached houses, 6 lane roads, and insurmountable distances for anything but a car. Oh, and none of this existing when Places To Grow was put in place.

brampton.jpg

Attachments

• brampton.jpg
    brampton.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 847
Last edited:
Pretty impressive that the cycling mode share in Toronto increased by 60% between 2006 and 2016. It's still a small slice of the pie, but that's some impressive growth nonetheless.

Also incredible that 1/4 of new car commuters in the GTA are in Brampton. That municipality is incredibly suburban.

For local transit use they're doing okay, at least from the #s I've seen before. But the city is stretching far north, with GO rail in the south. The sad thing is there's a rail line following its northward growth, straight as an arrow paralleling Hurontario, and not being put to use. Meanwhile we have the shiny 410 to entice people. For a city of 600k, ninth largest in Canada, that's no good. Should be GO rail stations at Bovaird and Mayfield.

For local transit use they're doing okay, at least from the #s I've seen before. But the city is stretching far north, with GO rail in the south. The sad thing is there's a rail line following its northward growth, straight as an arrow paralleling Hurontario, and not being put to use. Meanwhile we have the shiny 410 to entice people. For a city of 600k, ninth largest in Canada, that's no good. Should be GO rail stations at Bovaird and Mayfield.
They also made the decision to turn down a free LRT line from the province because some NIMBYs didn't like the idea of it going down their main street. Brampton's transportation planning is a mess.

Interesting that cars as a form of commuting are now officially a minority in the city. That is a pretty important milestone. I'm amazed at the growth in transit use, even in the suburbs.

It also has the fastest growing transit system in the country.

So, where transit is available, there is no resistance to using it.....but when commuting outside the city’s borders to, say, Toronto perhaps the lack of trains (and the fact the trains are ~16% shorter than most GO trains) creates a capacity constraint......I know it has changed my commuting habits.....used to be a 50/50 commuter......now I drive 80% of the time.

Last edited:
What is "other method"? (= neither active transport, nor public transit, nor driving) What's left? Private helicopter? Swan boats?

I am so tired of people mocking those who commute by swan boat. Council is always pandering to those who ride ferries. War on the Swan Boat!

Swan.jpg

Credit:Andreas Praefcke, Wikipedia

Attachments

• Swan.jpg
    Swan.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 556
It also has the fastest growing transit system in the country.

So, where transit is available, there is no resistance to using it.....but when commuting outside the city’s borders to, say, Toronto perhaps the lack of trains (and the fact the trains are ~16% shorter than most GO trains creates a capacity constraint......I know it has changed my commuting habits.....used to be a 50/50 commuter......now I drive 80% of the time.
Also....raw statistics....,Brampton accounting for 25% of the “new” commuters may just be a reflection of where growth in the GTA is. Mississauga hardly grew st all between the last two census counts (something like 7k ppl total in 5 years) while Brampton continued to see a lot of growth.

Back