News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd hold my nose and vote crisanti. One of them will win and their voting records are basically interchangeable, so might as well send a message to uncle Douggie.
In Ward 1, I would probably vote for Naiima Farah, but would wait for a poll to show who had the best chance that was not Ford or Crusty Crisanti.

Is there a strong progressive running in Scarborough Southwest? The NDP won big there so it would be unfortunate it's mainly between two small-"c" conservatives.

Gerard Arbour:

https://www.facebook.com/DrGTAward20SSW/photos/pcb.244376666224372/244375292891176/?type=3&theater

There are a few others but he's the only one I've heard of. He's been a chiropractor on Kingston Road for quite a long time and lives in the area, unlike Crawford. Holland also lives in the ward.

Oh there is another guy that managed to piss off the neighbourhood when the former restaurant he is using for his headquarters that had a mural painted on the outside walls was painted over in a horrid fuschia. People started giving him grief online and he kept telling them to talk to the landlord. The guy who paints murals on several buildings along Kingston Road does so with his own supplies and doesn't get paid to do so, and that didn't sit well with people. I have no idea who the guy is.

Last edited:
From your post, I gather you think it’s ok to dismiss someone’s opinion based on their gender and ethnicity. So, where do you fit on the intersectionality matrix? Because I’d like to trash your moronic comment, but by your criteria I do need your SJW identifiers first.

Oh, hypocrisy....it's a beautiful thing. If by "beautiful" you mean sadly hilarious and hideous.

Carry on.

I'm not dismissing your opinion based on your gender and ethnicity, I'm dismissing your opinion because it's dumb, and because you so clearly lack the lived experience of being anything other than a white male, or even some empathy for anyone who is not like yourself.

Yeah, right....except by bringing up someone's ethnicity and gender as a basis for your dismissal of their opinion you're committing the same sort of irrational rubbish that you claim to be against.

Lived experience?

Experience, by definition is lived. Can we please not use that bullshit term? Experience is well enough a term to describe that which you are talking about.

Unless I've missed something and "lived experience" is a term that means something else entirely. (Don't bother, I know it doesn't).

The Michael Cohen of the Ford family--he was convicted in 2013 of threatening to kill a woman.

Wonder if he still carries his stash of bedbugs.
I'd missed this in the news when it was first revealed, so for anyone wondering what the 'bedbug thing' is all about:
Rob Ford’s friend Sandro Lisi may be an even bigger jerk than previously assumed
Toronto Life
BY STEVE KUPFERMAN | MARCH 5, 2014
[...]
Bed bugs
In a sense, the most damning of Lisi’s alleged misdeeds is this one: the Star’s sources say that he’s believed to have deliberately infested an enemy’s home with bedbugs on at least one occasion. Anyone who has ever experienced an infestation knows that this is a level of cruelty just shy of burning someone’s house down.
https://torontolife.com/city/rob-ford-sandro-lisi-revelations/

Bugsy....

This thread is way off track. We have a crazy council election in less than a month and we're arguing about gender politics and constitutional minutiae? Take it somewhere else.

Reactions: DSC
This thread is way off track. We have a crazy council election in less than a month and we're arguing about gender politics and constitutional minutiae? Take it somewhere else.
Well to be fair council candidates were running on identity politics as their main platform so i don't know why we couldn't discuss that?
I guess technically the examples I brought up dropped out so I will get back to current candidates.

So what do people think of Jennifer McKelvie and her chances of taking out Neethan Shan. I think she has a decent shot but I don't know where she stands on anything. Any chance Tory endorses?
The reason I say she has a decent shot is that she actually received more votes in 2014 than Shan did in the by-election. And Shan's ward is split if you look at the map of Scarborough rouge park and Ward 42.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough—Rouge_Park#/media/File:Scarborough-Rouge_Park_Elections_Canada_map_35097_(boundaries).gif
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/90be-W42map.pdf

He (Josh Matlow) has also been extremely anti-housing
AFFORDABLE HOUSING CRISIS
Affordable Housing Crisis
Tags: housing, tenants, waitlist
Toronto is in the midst of a housing crisis. This issue was unfortunately made painfully evident during a record-breaking cold snap this past holiday season. The City was not prepared to provide shelter for the growing number of our most vulnerable residents when they needed it most.

This completely unacceptable situation was entirely preventable. My colleague Kristyn Wong-Tam moved a motion at Council in early December to request that the federal government open the downtown Armouries to provide emergency shelter space following the advice of front line workers, advocates, and healthcare professionals. Unfortunately, the Mayor and a majority of Council voting against even making this request. Many members of our community needlessly suffered until the armouries were finally opened a week after the cold snap started. While I was pleased to support a proposal to build 1,000 new shelter beds in this year’s budget to provide a potentially life-saving service during a time of need, we need to address the underlying issues that have led to this marked increase in the homeless population.

Toronto will have closed 1,000 social housing units over the past two years because we have allowed them to fall into disrepair. At the same time that we are boarding up existing housing, the waitlist for a subsidized home now has over 181,000 people. It is unconscionable that Council has spent this term increasing the city’s debt load with wasteful capital projects such as the 1-stop Scarborough subway and the Gardiner East rebuild, while neglecting our most basic priority to house those in need.

These problems, in part, stem from our spiralling rental market. A report by the City Planning department that I requested as Chair of the Tenant Issues Committee found that rents for available units are now over $1,800 a month while the vacancy rate is below 1% “Diversity our Strength” is in danger of becoming a hollow motto if these trends continue. I have requested a comprehensive, cross-divisional strategy be developed to look at ways of making housing more accessible for all tenants because we are stronger when seniors, new immigrants, artists, and students are able to live in our city.
https://joshmatlow.ca/josh-at-city-hall/tenants/affordable-housing-crisis/

CULLING 14 TREES
The owner of 256 Chaplin Crescent submitted plans to cut down 14 trees to accommodate his home reno, but 22 outraged neighbours took their arboreal concerns to the committee of adjustment, with backup from the city’s urban forestry department and Ward 22 councillor Josh Matlow. They bemoaned the loss of trees and canopy coverage.

INCENDIARY QUOTE: “[This] will adversely impact their quality of life, and it will change the existing character of the neighbourhood.”—Councillor Josh Matlow

THE OUTCOME: The neighbours won at the committee of adjustment. The owner has appealed to the OMB.
https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-politics/toronto-nimby-nation/
That's my kinda nimby...

Last edited:
MODS. It really is time the SURVEY at top of this thread was removed or redone. Apart from anything else, Justin di Dunpar is not running
I'm the thread creator - I thought I'd be able to run a new poll every week or two but when I tried to delete the first one I couldn't. I messaged the mods a few months ago but it's still up.

Would like to see the "report cards" on Councillors that are "fighting" each other, or "report cards" on all candidates based on their platforms. "Ford Nation" followers of course won't have any platforms available until during the advance polls, of course.

Back