News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but did she do anything positive from a planning perspective? As Toronto's planner, did she ensure condo development was linked to transit? Did she ensure Regent Park incorporated bike lanes along Dundas? Did she do anything, or can she argue that the Province, OMB, the Mayor and Council obstructed all her dreams?

I'm pretty sure Paul Bedford was chief planner when the Regent Park plan was signed-off, but I'd agree that the failure to put in separated bike lanes on Dundas was a huge lost opportunity. The Shuter lanes are a mess. But at least Oak Street has returned as an alternate for local trips.

Yes, but did she do anything positive from a planning perspective? As Toronto's planner, did she ensure condo development was linked to transit? Did she ensure Regent Park incorporated bike lanes along Dundas? Did she do anything, or can she argue that the Province, OMB, the Mayor and Council obstructed all her dreams?
She didn't have the power to do any of those things, they are Council decisions, not hers. She can only suggest and promote them to Council. A lot happened under her aegis. And a lot was stymied by the Mayor and Council:
https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-chief-planner-jennifer-keesmaat/

She didn't have the power to do any of those things
Okay, but what did she do then? Was she able to guide and persuade the Mayor and Council to support her ideas? If she can't work effectively with those she is supposed to counsel and guide, there's either a disconnect on priorities or a personnel matter.

Okay, but what did she do then? Was she able to guide and persuade the Mayor and Council to support her ideas? If she can't work effectively with those she is supposed to counsel and guide, there's either a disconnect on priorities or a personnel matter.
She was dealing with stubborn men like Tory who were fixated on a Scarborough Subway extension. All the evidence in the world didn't matter to them so she had to concede.

If she can't work effectively with those she is supposed to counsel and guide, there's either a disconnect on priorities or a personnel matter.
Yeah, there's a "personnel matter" alright. But not her.

That car that hits you when cycling? Your fault. You obviously had a "disconnect" in guiding your bike. Keesmaat quit out of frustration. And now she's running because of it, frustration with a mayor who won't stand up to bullies.

She's got far more cajones than some men I know.

Keesmaat quit out of frustration.
As she should. When your boss says thank you for your guidance, and now here's our decision and plan; you have a choice. Either support and execute the plan (like the current planners are doing, I assume), or quit. I respect her choice, and respect her more so for running for mayor to see her beliefs put into action.

Updates from the two open races:

Scarborough North: It seems like the two frontrunners are Maggi Chi, an ex-assistant to Chin Lee, and Felicia Samuel, a former NDP candidate in June.

Beaches East York: The three front runners seem to be former MP Matthew Kelway, urban planner Brad Bradford, and business consultant Josh Makuch. All three were initially running in the Beaches (Ward 37) ward, which has now expanded to include East York. I give Kelway the slight advantage given that he has name recognition north of the Danforth from being MP, but the two other candidates seem to be running strong campaigns, at least down in The Beaches. According to a family member and 30+ year resident of The Beaches, the deciding issue for most of his neighbours is the vehement opposition to the Woodbine bike lanes.
I don't really have a good read on the area but I feel like Brad Bradford has run a lot more lively campaign so far. It will be an interesting race.

I am picking 4 non incumbent winners. I don't want to say who so I can look smart if I am right even though I picked the wrong winners. :)

Also I really want to know who Josh Matlow pissed off that right wingers are endorsing Mihevc.
https://twitter.com/KarenStintz/status/1044633436110053376

According to a family member and 30+ year resident of The Beaches, the deciding issue for most of his neighbours is Woodbine bike lanes, of which the majority of his neighbours are vehemently opposed to.

This is a common theme in the beaches area. Woodbine is hell with the bike lanes and hardly anyone uses them. I know people who live just north of Woodbine Station (and work at the Canada Post plant), they hate the traffic associated with the lanes. Even senior TTC operators avoid the 92 Woodbine South because of the bike lanes.

They were a product of the local city councilor at the time (Mary Margaret McMahon) who was an avid biker. She pushed for the lanes but realistically anyone who offers to tear them up will win the election or at least get a damn good showing. They cause a bottleneck coming up from Eastern Ave and Kingston Road compared to before they were installed. They were not thought out, simply a pet project.

Updates from the two open races:

Scarborough North: It seems like the two frontrunners are Maggi Chi, an ex-assistant to Chin Lee, and Felicia Samuel, a former NDP candidate in June.

Unfortunately for Felicia Samuel she has no previous voting base to build on, since she ran in Scarborough-Rouge Park provincially (and came within 900 votes of winning). Rouge Park also has a much larger Black community.

I'm guessing it's because Neethan Shan opted for Rouge Park first. His ward straddles both Scarborough North and Rouge Park.

Unfortunately for Felicia Samuel she has no previous voting base to build on, since she ran in Scarborough-Rouge Park provincially (and came within 900 votes of winning). Rouge Park also has a much larger Black community.

I'm guessing it's because Neethan Shan opted for Rouge Park first. His ward straddles both Scarborough North and Rouge Park.

Thanks for that clarification. I wonder if the huge number of Chinese candidates could spread out the Chinese vote, allowing for Samuel or a South Asian candidate to win?

Back