News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's less than 7 months until registration for the election (I think that's for all Councillors, and not just the Mayor).
Do we know how many Wards there will be?

Maybe she'll "switch places" with Jonah Schein?

I believe there is bad blood between Team Schein and Team Bravo in the west end. Apparently it lingers from when they both ran for council in 2010 and both were fighting over Davenport NDP resources for their respective riding halves.

Looking back at 2014, I find it disconcerting that with only one incumbent turfed that the likelihood for high quality challengers of the Alex Mazer and Alejandra Bravo caliber to throw their hat in the ring in 2018 is less likely. Council races take money and resources and if candidates like the aforementioned who seemingly have all the expertise and campaign resources are unable to take down weak incumbents, then what does that say about the potential for high caliber council candidates next year?

Looking back at 2014, I find it disconcerting that with only one incumbent turfed that the likelihood for high quality challengers of the Alex Mazer and Alejandra Bravo caliber to throw their hat in the ring in 2018 is less likely. Council races take money and resources and if candidates like the aforementioned who seemingly have all the expertise and campaign resources are unable to take down weak incumbents, then what does that say about the potential for high caliber council candidates next year?

Plus, much more unfortunately in that regard, the lost hope of ranked ballots.

Ranked ballots plus the guarantee of new ward boundaries could've been a big couple of changes for those with hopes of a more progressive/less hostile/less harmful Toronto municipal government.

Palacio has been hanging on by a thread the last decade, I doubt he'd give up now. I would love for him and Carmichael Greb - the right wing 'caucus' of the Toronto East York community council - to be defeated next election.

Carmichael Greb has to be the weakest rookie on council (ok, maybe next to Di Ciano) and always seems way over her head. I wonder if Adam Tanel, her closest rival in the nail biter last election, will run again?

Last edited:
Palacio has been hanging on by a thread the last decade, I doubt he'd give up now. I would love for him and Carmichael Greb - right wing 'caucus' of the Toronto East York community council - to be defeated next election.

Carmichael Greb has to be the weakest rookie on council (ok, maybe next to Di Ciano) and always seems way over her head. I wonder if Adam Tanel, her closest rival in the nail biter last election, will run again?

Di Dunpar isn't weak -- he's dangerous. But you're right, Carmichael Greb is the weakest politician council's seen for years. And that's saying something.

Assuming the new Ward map is in effect, Ward 28 (Pam McConnell) will be split and I suspect that, if she runs again, she will opt for the northern part of her current Ward, where she lives. That will allow for a new face in 'south-east downtown'. Some people complain about her but she is actually a very effective Councillor who knows how to create the alliances on Council necessary to get things done and, if you have been on any of her annual "Ward Walks" you will know that she really knows (and loves) her Ward.

Back