News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anthony Perruzza is not progressive.
o_O

name one conservative view he holds. I know he voted against the Equality Rights Statute Amendment Act way back in the 90's but he almost always votes with the progressive block and has always been endorsed by the Toronto and York region Labour council.

o_O

name one conservative view he holds. I know he voted against the Equality Rights Statute Amendment Act way back in the 90's but he almost always votes with the progressive block and has always been endorsed by the Toronto and York region Labour council.

That word, "progressive", in the context of politics is so ambiguous and ill-defined as to be meaningless. I don't know what it means either.
Maybe it's a synonym for a certain post-modernist philosophy. I actually don't think it means the person in question necessarily believes in the progression of the human condition to a higher level.
I mean, some "progressives" are pseudo-Marxist, for example. Others are whinging nightlife destroyers like Adam Vaughan, for example.

It's a meaningless term as used here.

o_O

Actually, IIRC there were a number of times when Perruzza voted with the Ford-centric rump on "populistic" issues.

Still, he'd be an improvement over Mammo...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...h0GJvihIe1pZ-nGQh-0b0pw8Fw/edit#gid=154973168

As you can see Peruzza voted with the suburban conservative block against residential tax increases (to make up for provincial funding loss, for example), stormwater management plans, vehicle tax registration fees, etc every single time. Undermining public services or infrastructure to save pennies on taxes is the opposite of progressive.

I feel like neither Layton or Cressy would face any issue getting re-elected in either riding.

I'll only say that you're giving at least one of those candidates too much credit. The fact that they're scrambling and unable to agree on which ward to run for, is not indicative of candidates strolling unworried into an easy re-election. I say this from a standpoint of having privileged information that I cannot yet share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...h0GJvihIe1pZ-nGQh-0b0pw8Fw/edit#gid=154973168

As you can see Peruzza voted with the suburban conservative block against residential tax increases (to make up for provincial funding loss, for example), stormwater management plans, vehicle tax registration fees, etc every single time. Undermining public services or infrastructure to save pennies on taxes is the opposite of progressive.

Peruzza is a lazy councillor and showboat.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.14.05 PM.png

What a race! I'm cautiously optimistic that we may finally be rid of Mammoliti. He's usually won for lack of a competitive alternative. Mammo and Perruzza will split the name recognition as well as the italian vote. Tiffany Ford, who might even get her own name recognition and benefit from confusion (a Ford?), could theoretically win with as little as 35% if the other two split their vote evenly. Incidentally, that's about as much as she had been polling in the original Mammoliti/Ford/Keegan race. No word on whether Keegan will register in the new ward race.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.14.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.14.05 PM.png
    26 KB · Views: 593
View attachment 154116

What a race! I'm cautiously optimistic that we may finally be rid of Mammoliti. He's usually won for lack of a competitive alternative. Mammo and Perruzza will split the name recognition as well as the italian vote. Tiffany Ford, who might even get her own name recognition and benefit from confusion (a Ford?), could theoretically win with as little as 35% if the other two split their vote evenly. Incidentally, that's about as much as she had been polling in the original Mammoliti/Ford/Keegan race. No word on whether Keegan will register in the new ward race.

Peruzza and Ford could also split the vote, and if not, campaign resources. Peruzza has deep ties to the NDP (he was a former MPP and his ex-EA Tom Rakocevic is now MPP for the area) and has also had endorsements from the Toronto Labour Council in previous campaigns.

MM, I agree that Tiffany's biggest asset is her last name. See Russ Ford's miracle run in Etobicoke Lakeshore last election, where his last name almost defeated Grimey.

Last edited:
It should be noted that the Black community in York West/HBRC is larger than the Italian community. I don't think Peruzza's ward 8 has many Italians at all actually. However they have higher turnout (older, homeowners).

A notable feature of the last provincial election was a get out the vote in the Black community (Operation Black Vote Canada, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists) and there is now a larger Black presence in the legislature than there's ever been (4 Black MPPs were elected for the NDP, plus the re-election of Michael Coteau and Mitzie Hunter).

In other words, the enlarged ward may actually work to Tiffany Ford's advantage.

Back