News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love how you put the "downtown" spin on things. As if downtown has ever truly had a balanced pull in Toronto council. People in the suburbs (fewer constituents per council vote) have held far more power than those in the core.

You know what this city really needs? Another old, white male complaining about what everyone else is getting.

This is factually inaccurate. Ward 6 (Etobicoke - Lakeshore) is one of the most populated wards in the City, even after the re-draw. It's also adding thousands of new residents annually, and Keesmat's planning growth numbers (which were used as the basis for the ward re-draw) systemically under-represented the growth in the area, which means it will be the most populated. There are ridings downtown almost half the size (in population). And not to make this a suburb vs downtown thing again, but let's not forget that Etobicoke had 6 ridings with 44 wards, and now with the 47, so their representation is going down despite exponential growth in areas like Humber Bay Shore, and the 6 points area. By 2030, Ward 5 and 6 will be the most populated in the city, along with Ward 41 in Scarborough, I might also mention that Etobicoke-Lakeshore (which is essentially Ward 5 and 6 combined) federally and provincially is also one of the most populated ridings in Toronto. So next time you say that people in the suburb get more representation, maybe think twice, because that general statement does not apply to the people of South Etobicoke who consistently are under-represented. People in the new downtown ward 20 have almost twice as much vote worth as someone in Ward 5 or 6.

Last edited:
Progress being made on the wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_municipal_election,_2018

Lets all contribute what we know about candidates in our wards. Stick to facts, obviously, but focus on things like:
* Prior candidacy / elected office
* Key platform or policy points
* Major endorsements by prominent people (others who have been elected, for example)
* Endorsements by major media (Sun, Star, Post, Globe, Now, etc) - Until 2018 endorsements come out, maybe include 2014 endorsements?
* Relationships to others who are elected - relevant facts in the wiki might be other politicians they are related to.

Anything else? Thoughts? The 2014 wiki seems to be really good. Let's make it a useful resource for people deciding how to vote (sticking to facts, consistent, and without bias)

This is factually inaccurate. Ward 6 (Etobicoke - Lakeshore) is one of the most populated wards in the City, even after the re-draw. It's also adding thousands of new residents annually, and Keesmat's planning growth numbers (which were used as the basis for the ward re-draw) systemically under-represented the growth in the area, which means it will be the most populated. There are ridings downtown almost half the size (in population). And not to make this a suburb vs downtown thing again, but let's not forget that Etobicoke had 6 ridings with 44 wards, and now with the 47, so their representation is going down despite exponential growth in areas like Humber Bay Shore, and the 6 points area. By 2030, Ward 5 and 6 will be the most populated in the city, along with Ward 41 in Scarborough, I might also mention that Etobicoke-Lakeshore (which is essentially Ward 5 and 6 combined) federally and provincially is also one of the most populated ridings in Toronto. So next time you say that people in the suburb get more representation, maybe think twice, because that general statement does not apply to the people of South Etobicoke who consistently are under-represented. People in the new downtown ward 20 have almost twice as much vote worth as someone in Ward 5 or 6.
All true for South Etobicoke, but I think zang's point about the suburbs in general are still accurate.

All true for South Etobicoke, but I think zang's point about the suburbs in general are still accurate.
Exactly. Comparing individual wards is ridiculous when we’re talking about “Scarborough” and “Etobicoke”. Comparing average population densities in the context of former municipalities, nothing comes close to Old Toronto (what many refer to as “downtown”).

It is funny how the topic of term limits only comes up when you people talk about right-wing Councillors.
“You people”

Nice othering.

There are a great many Ford Nationals who bellowed about term limits during the last election, including lead cheerleader Neil Flagg.

Elect a city councillor that supports your right to de-amalgamate and restore accountable, accessible democratic government.

Robert McDermott - City Councillor - Ward 39.

Accountability - Transparency - Leadership

You think a single council seat can sway the province more than what a city wide referendum of “no to amalgamation” couldn’t? You have a distorted view of what powers are afforded councillors.

Or maybe (more likely), you’re using divisiveness and resentment in order to get a seat on council.

I live in Scarborough and don't feel the need to separate from Toronto...

It is funny how the topic of term limits only comes up when you people talk about right-wing Councillors.

I don't want them gone because they lean to they right. They just happen to be the worst ones. Would Norm be considered on the right? I want him gone.

Much like Jimmy K and other Liberal MP's who were more socially conservative.

On topic, Norm hasn't registered yet.

Yeah, if Jimmy K's centre-left, who *is* centre-right on Council?

Sometimes, it seems like BurlOak's shilling for an Arthur Smitherman wing in ascendant.

Back