News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All I found was a CBC website with an interactive map with results of round 3. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-pc-leadership-results-1.4571699

It looks like each riding was worth 100 points, and the candidates percentage of the vote was their score in the riding. The exception was the ridings with fewer than 100 votes (i.e. some of the northern ones), then the actual number of votes was the score. I think phrasing it that "all ridings had the same weight" is more correct.

In future, I think ridings should be weighted.
  1. Ridings that are currently PC should be weighted the most. These ridings are your core supporters, likely key donors and volunteers. They are the base from which party support can extend.
  2. Ridings that could become PC should also be weighted more. In the ridings you must pick up, its important that the leader is palatable to the members in those ridings.
  3. The Ridings that you have no hope of winning should be weighted less. These ridings will not be won so it is not that important that the leader be popular to these supporters. Also, presumably, there are fewer party members in these ridings so weighting it lower is not out of place.
I can see 2 options:
  1. Ridings that are PC, weight as 125 points. Ridings that have been PC in the last 10 or 15 years are worth 100 points. Ridings that have not been "PC in last 10 or 15 years are worth 75 points. Of course, if riding boundaries change, it may lead to some confusion that must be thought through.
  2. Ridings with more members are worth more points. Come up with some type of interpolation, where heaviest voted riding is worth 150 points and lowest is worth 50 points - with some type of interpolation between.
I can understand not going with one person one vote, as a few ridings with local issues could dominate the process and have undue weight across the provinces.
That makes less sense if your goal is to win seats. Despite this particular outcome, the current model is probably one of the better compromises.

Why complicate it? It seemed like they couldn't make sense of things as they are. One member, one vote. I wouldn't want to be a member in a party where someone else's vote is arbitrarily worth more than mine; I get enough of that with our general elections!

Don't make this a gender issue. Considering something like 52% of those qualified to vote are women, you're scratching up the wrong tree. If there's any trend showing from this, it's that SoCons, male and female, prefer apes as leaders.

How's that for equality?
Hey, I'm not trying to point fingers. I'm just saying that a different candidate in the mix could have produced a different result. Doug didn't exactly win by a landslide, though I'm sure some Elliott voters might have gone to this hypothetical other male as well.

Hey, I'm not trying to point fingers. I'm just saying that a different candidate in the mix could have produced a different result. Doug didn't exactly win by a landslide, though I'm sure some Elliott voters might have gone to this hypothetical other male as well.
In case I appeared too terse, part of your point is made in that if there was a 'female empowered vote', it was divided three ways. I think we're on the same 'side', so apologies if that ruffled itchy feathers...

Indeed:
Take his approach with the interviewer. She asked Mr. Ford straightforward questions about his plans for running the province. Instead of providing details, Mr. Ford tried to focus attention on his questioner, asking her how she would cut spending and then pronouncing her “unable” to answer. He also nonsensically boasted of having knocked on thousands more doors than her.

This is a common tactic of populists and no doubt played well with Mr. Ford’s base. It’s also ridiculous and beneath a serious politician. Mr. Ford is the one running for office. He shouldn’t taunt journalists because they ask questions that make him uncomfortable. It’s just a form of passing the buck.
To anyone who missed it, this is painful listening (I could only listen to a few minutes before having to shut it down)

Listen to the full interview embedded below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...f-questions-in-this-cbc-interview_a_23384590/

Beauty.

As an aside, I think the editorial stances of the Globe and Mail and The Economist are starting to bleed into the same voice in my head. I'm going to have to start reading Adbusters again or something just to clear my head from what seems to be becoming an eerie hum of opinion that too easily mesh with my own and whose sole purpose is to lull me into a false sense of optimism about the world.

Granic Allen has indicated she will run for a seat in the legislature. She will announce the riding on Friday.

How is that possible when she lives in Grey County? I must be missing something here

How is that possible when she lives in Grey County? I must be missing something here

You can be nominated anywhere, apparently. This isn't the first or last time this will happen. Just a quick example: Finance Minister Bill Morneau doesn't live in the riding he represents.

You can be nominated anywhere, apparently. This isn't the first or last time this will happen. Just a quick example: Finance Minister Bill Morneau doesn't live in the riding he represents.

And remember that Joe Oliver lives in Wychwood Park.

That's stupid. Why can't I cast a vote outside of my riding if someone can be nominated outside of theirs? Why is the #1 argument for FPTP in this country assuring all regions get representation if the representatives aren't even from the respective regions? Sure it's not like that in most cases but there should still be zero tolerance for it

That's stupid. Why can't I cast a vote outside of my riding if someone can be nominated outside of theirs? Why is the #1 argument for FPTP in this country assuring all regions get representation if the representatives aren't even from the respective regions? Sure it's not like that in most cases but there should still be zero tolerance for it

Well, like most all arguments in favour of FPTP, it's a stupid argument because it's a joke in the context of our system, and not even because of this issue. For example, representatives in our legislatures mostly represent their parties, not their constituents. Not all, but most by far. Whipped votes, slaves to the leader's office. It's a joke and this particular argument in favour of FPTP is a joke as well.

And remember that Joe Oliver lives in Wychwood Park.

No way, didn't you read his piece in the Sun? He's working class, mate. He lives in South Oshawa (though, the ratio of people there who actually work is probably quite low).

Back