News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Some Mainstreet riding polls recapped (for subscribers, but I'm giving general picture).

Toronto ridings:

Don Valley East: Three-way race with PCs in the lead

Don Valley North: PCs have comfortable lead

Don Valley West: Liberals have small lead over the PCs

Eglinton-Lawrence: Three-way race with Liberals basically tied with PCs thanks to surprisingly strong showing by the NDP (!)

Scarborough Southwest: NDP has narrow lead over PCs

St. Paul's: Liberals and NDP basically tied (!)

Toronto Centre: NDP has big lead

905 ridings:

Ajax: PC have big lead

Brampton North: NDP and PCs basically tied

Brampton South: PCs have comfortable lead

Brampton West: NDP and PCs basically tied

Mississauga-Lakeshore: PCs have big lead

Others:

Guelph: Greens have small lead over NDP, PCs in third

Kingston and the Islands: NDP in the lead

Ottawa South: Three way race with PCs in the lead, Liberals and NDP close second and third

Ottawa West-Nepean: Three way race NDP and PCs tied, Liberals close third

Sarnia-Lambton: PCs have comfortable lead

St. Catharines: NDP in the lead

Sudbury: NDP in the lead, PCs distant second

Are these the 20 swing ridings someone on here made mention about a few days ago? If so, looks like a fight to the finish with some ridings likely to be decided by a couple hundred votes.

No, they almost certainly won't be holding any 905 seats. Sousa is 20 points behind in his own riding.

The federal Conservatives got over 40% in York Region in the last election. If the Liberals only edged out the Conservatives during "Trudeaumania '15" it's almost certainly going to be a blue sweep this time.

The Liberals are a distant third in Brampton.

It's not a lie. I was in Port Credit over the weekend and it was a sea of Tory signs. Today I was in Woodbridge and again taken aback by the number of Tory signs dominating the side streets. There were even some "Doug for Premier" Tory signs up there.

Oh, totally. All he sees is the big shiny title and not any of the responsibilities or work involved. He seems not to have anything even remotely approaching a work ethic or personal responsibility nor does he seem to be able to think beyond his most immediate wants and desires.

Except maybe when it comes to Deco. And even that's smoke-and-mirrors arguable.

It's not a lie. I was in Port Credit over the weekend and it was a sea of Tory signs. Today I was in Woodbridge and again taken aback by the number of Tory signs dominating the side streets. There were even some "Doug for Premier" Tory signs up there.

The Fords raised a lot of money in Vaughan, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Any polling data on University-Rosedale? I assume it's an NDP lock but young volunteers come to my door literally every day which is surprising to me because why put up such an effort if it's not close?

Even if *technically* true a la the Toronto Centre poll, what would lead one to such a complacent NDP-lock assumption? They've reason to be vigilant: almost everything E of Avenue Rd/Queen's Park is ordinarily an NDP wasteland. Plus 2014's notional provincial figures, 2015's federal figures, etc. It's better for the NDP to be safe than sorry, IOW.

[QUOTE[Funny story my wife answered the door for a young volunteer and was pissed off because the doorbell ringing woke up my napping daughter. The volunteer asked if she was considering voting NDP and she said "you just woke up my daughter so not any more!" She's leaning voting Green but Tim Grant came to the door to chat which was nice; however, honestly he sounded cynical in a way that rubbed us the wrong way. Campaign not going so well?[/QUOTE]

With Schreiner shut out of the debates, which competitive-esque Green candidate (such as Tim Grant) *wouldn't* be cynical? Other than Schreiner in his own riding, of course.

I think the NDP will take University-Rosedale, but the Avenue Rd. wall poses a challenge. They need to get well over 50% in the "Trinity Spadina" part to offset Rosedale.

Etobicoke North poll to come out tomorrow. Let's see if these claims of Ford being in trouble in his own riding have any truth to them (I'm skeptical).

I think the NDP will take University-Rosedale, but the Avenue Rd. wall poses a challenge. They need to get well over 50% in the "Trinity Spadina" part to offset Rosedale.

And/or well over 15/20% in the "Toronto Centre" part. (They got about 6.3% there in 2014.)

Though before we all over-hail the "inevitability" of a NDP victory, a bit of a sobering poll from Ipsos/Global
https://globalnews.ca/news/4236201/ontario-election-poll-ndp-soften-pc-lead/
PC 37 (+1)
NDP 34 (-3)
Lib 22 (-1)
Oth 7 (+3)

What's further relevant to note from that poll:

‘A full 82 per cent of PC voters responding to the Ipsos poll said they were “completely certain” they’d turn up to vote, while among NDP voters it was 69 per cent and among Liberal supporters it was 65 per cent.’

I walked by the Toronto Danforth Liberal campaign office on the weekend and it was dead (in a riding that is held by the NDP). At this point, if you're the Liberals, you're probably concerned about 'saving the furniture' and focusing on tradition strongholds like St. Paul's, Toronto Centre and Eglinton Lawrence. I expect all three will remain Liberal a week from now, with Toronto Centre being a real nail-biter.

With the NDP firmly in the popular vote lead and running a campaign openly hostile to business that raises the issue of if I should strategically vote Liberal against the prospects of an NDP government now that the Liberals are certain to lose? The PC's have no chance in my riding but I was going to vote PC on principle and to raise the overall popular vote particularly in my riding. I don't like the idea of political parties of any place on the political spectrum dominating the popular vote in any riding. I don't think that's healthy for society.

While the PC's could still form minority government (my preferred outcome). The positive aspect of an NDP win and a Liberal collapse would be it would cause sole searching in the generation of Liberal Party strategists who have used running Left of the NDP as the preferred path to victory. The Liberal's may emerge as a party committed to the centre again, especially with the PC's having shifted from Neo-conservativism to a form of populist nativism.

At any rate we are going to get a government with fringe elements at it's core regardless of an NDP or PC victory. To the people who lambast anyone not voting far left on this forum I would say that just as a potential NDP government shall pass, so shall Doug Ford even if he ends up winning. Our society doesn't remain strong because left-wing government or right-wing governments dominate. It remains strong because they don't. I personally feel that the Liberal government veered so far to the left in their waning years that the change we need is to veer right even if that means rewarding a long-time enemy like Doug Ford so he can satisfy his daddy issues. You probably disagree but I just don't see how Ontario needs an openly anti-business government at the moment.

While the PC's could still form minority government (my preferred outcome). The positive aspect of an NDP win and a Liberal collapse would be it would cause sole searching in the generation of Liberal Party strategists who have used running Left of the NDP as the preferred path to victory. The Liberal's may emerge as a party committed to the centre again, especially with the PC's having shifted from Neo-conservativism to a form of populist nativism.

At any rate we are going to get a government with fringe elements at it's core regardless of an NDP or PC victory. To the people who lambast anyone not voting far left on this forum I would say that just as a potential NDP government shall pass, so shall Doug Ford even if he ends up winning. Our society doesn't remain strong because left-wing government or right-wing governments dominate. It remains strong because they don't. I personally feel that the Liberal government veered so far to the left in their waning years that the change we need is to veer right even if that means rewarding a long-time enemy like Doug Ford so he can satisfy his daddy issues. You probably disagree but I just don't see how Ontario needs an openly anti-business government at the moment.

I really do find this post disturbing.

Where is the evidence that the NDP is "Anti-business". I am not a partisan, nor an ideologue and have no issues w/someone not voting NDP. I do have issues w/representations of any party that I see as false.

The NDP are proposing: - Not to raise small business corporate tax which is at all time historic low of 2.5% (prov). They are proposing to raise large corporate tax to 13%, below the rate in effect in the 1980s and 1990s, and at a time when Federal rates remain at historic lows.

Their proposal to fund a core universal pharmacare, along w/cancer drugs will make private benefits plans less costly to business.

There is a new mandate to offer dentalcare and supplementary drug coverage, but business will have option of sourcing their own coverage or opting into a very cheap government plan.

There are proposals to modestly enhance employment standards (3 weeks paid vacation to start) that will only bring us to the level Saskatchewan has been at for 2 generations and still behind Australia, New Zealand and the entire EU.

Let's not use silly rhetoric please.

Likewise, the Liberals have not governed to the hard left; they have run to the left of an ever more centrist NDP.

Back