News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

At this point, are voters actually looking at the budget and soon-to-be-platform, or is the Wynne fatigue too difficult to reverse? I feel like the Liberals could promise the sky and the moon and would have difficulty eking out a minority government.

I also see this fatigue not just with the typical crowds - the tabloids and talk radio - but among their natural constituencies, like the urban chattering classes. By 2018 that will be 15 years of Liberal Ontario rule, which is more than the Rae Era + Common Sense Revolution combined.

At this point, are voters actually looking at budget and soon-to-be-platform, or is the Wynne fatigue too difficult to reverse? I feel like the Liberals could promise the sky and the moon and would have difficulty eking out a minority government.

I think the issue is the suburbs, the liberals are as popular as the plague in places like Barrie or Burlington and such now. Then you have the bramptons and York region and that is where the election will be decided.
The difference is I think there is a large chunk of people who are pretty much driven to vote
anyone but liberal in the election, and it depends if liberals voters will rally and come out.

I think the liberals can promise whatever they like because whatever they do pisses off people, the issue is getting that 35-40% to win a government.

NDP will spin as Rich kids get drugs and Tories will spin it as liberals being wasteful.

The only think stopping the tories are the tories themselves imo.

I think Wynne can win if its another low turnout election, the issue is to have people care about provincial politics.

You'd think, but then we have JoTo and Hudak.

AoD

Well the funny thing is John Tory would likely win in a landslide against Wynne now

I dont have much faith in Patrick Brown but he is making the right steps then Hudak, he is going after the the minority voters in the suburbs that the ontario Pcs have not done in the past and there is a big appetite for change. Of course its not about winning that demo but about getting some votes from them then them all going to the liberals usually.

Pretty much a strong NDP vote in the burbs will lower Liberal votes and Tories go through the middle is what I think will happen.

"Additionally, it is obvious that with time, private health plans will be adjusted to remove drug coverage for people of that age category. It is reasonable to assume that premiums would come down accordingly.

How many times have liberals lied on that.

I am not expecting the provincial government to guarantee that private health insurance rates would go down; that is an absurd notion. I will go with the traditional conservative argument that the market will take care of that!

Well the funny thing is John Tory would likely win in a landslide against Wynne now

I dont have much faith in Patrick Brown but he is making the right steps then Hudak, he is going after the the minority voters in the suburbs that the ontario Pcs have not done in the past and there is a big appetite for change.

Tory has been somewhat ineffectual, but he has the merit of not being a social conservative. As for Brown, who knows what he thinks. So far he seems to be going wherever the wind takes him, one day courting social conservative minorities and the next openly opposing what they want. Of course, I would never vote for the conservatives in a million years.

I dont have much faith in Patrick Brown but he is making the right steps then Hudak, he is going after the the minority voters in the suburbs that the ontario Pcs have not done in the past and there is a big appetite for change. Of course its not about winning that demo but about getting some votes from them then them all going to the liberals usually.

Pretty much a strong NDP vote in the burbs will lower Liberal votes and Tories go through the middle is what I think will happen.

But of course the funny thing was he would have won back then too, and then foot in mouth. Ditto Hudak. Which is why PB isn't say much these days about anything.

AoD

I still don't think they'll win, but I do think that the balanced budget will have a significant psychological impact on people, especially if they're able to keep it up right into the next election and avoid any scandals around it with the auditor general. Enough maybe to keep the conservatives to a relatively weak minority government.

I still don't think they'll win, but I do think that the balanced budget will have a significant psychological impact on people, especially if they're able to keep it up right into the next election and avoid any scandals around it with the auditor general. Enough maybe to keep the conservatives to a relatively weak minority government.

I really think the balanced budget will be a non factor...if it Did not help the federal Tories one bit federally who for all their faults had a much better standing with the public on fiscal policy then the ontario liberals

People dont care if the budget is balanced because people have very little faith especially in the Ontario liberals in managing the funds.

I really think the balanced budget will be a non factor...if it Did not help the federal Tories one bit federally who for all their faults had a much better standing with the public on fiscal policy then the ontario liberals
People dont care if the budget is balanced because people have very little faith especially in the Ontario liberals in managing the funds.

Tend to agree with that. What would make them stand out is actually paying down the debt, but that's not necessarily the priority of their base, nor necessarily that of the electorate either.

AoD

Tend to agree with that. What would make them stand out is actually paying down the debt, but that's not necessarily the priority of their base, nor necessarily that of the electorate either.

AoD

Conceptually, I would agree with that, but there has been public polling in the last year that suggests that folks really do care about it -- one Forum poll showed it to be the 3rd-most important issue for voters after healthcare and education. That surprised me greatly.

There was no mention of the Ring of Fire development in the entire budget. Unfortunate that it's now basically DOA. Prov has dropped the ball on that file for too long.

Conceptually, I would agree with that, but there has been public polling in the last year that suggests that folks really do care about it -- one Forum poll showed it to be the 3rd-most important issue for voters after healthcare and education. That surprised me greatly.

Just so happens debt servicing is the third biggest line item expenditure, after health and (primary/secondary) education.

AoD

Back