News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ost-to-minimum-wage-work-conditions-cohn.html

I don't know that this is enough to save the Liberals, that's a tall order.

But if implemented, I actually believe this is some of the most progressive stuff I've seen out of a provincial government in the last 30 years.

I think it will be reasonably popular.

I also think it will have an interesting effect on the opposition; can the NDP run to the left of this? Would the Tories dare to repeal any of it?

I'm curious about the public musing on 3 weeks vacation, which I favour; but I had thought they would for for paid sick days first, since many US states have, and there seems to be momentum in that space. Maybe they still will, but I had assumed they wouldn't go for both at once.

We shall see.

You just know that they are doing it just to save their skin. They will ignore the small businesses and implement the whole plan so people can beneficiate from it. But, that a good plan and way overdue.

Christmas is coming early. Starting to think they will pay for their share of the Waterfront LRT and DRL

Christmas is coming early. Starting to think they will pay for their share of the Waterfront LRT and DRL

Paying for anything in Toronto (especially downtown Toronto) is a waste electorally speaking. They need to shore up suburban support. GO RER. Possibly.

They could sort of dangle LRT by promising to launch design or something like that. "We'll start the process..."

Paying for anything in Toronto (especially downtown Toronto) is a waste electorally speaking. They need to shore up suburban support. GO RER. Possibly.

They could sort of dangle LRT by promising to launch design or something like that. "We'll start the process..."

They are trailing behind the PC in Toronto with the NDP capable of winning ridings. They can't afford to lose Toronto, it gets what it wants

I'm hoping the Liberals put funding for the DRL and YSE in their platform. These should be election issues. I doubt the Waterfront LRT will be funded. The city should just fund that on its own as it's very small, or get federal funds to assist.

I'm skeptical, but an online poll from Campaign Research was released today showing the Liberals ahead... They were showing the Liberals far behind earlier this year though.

Link: https://www.campaignresearch.ca/sin...ial-Liberals-Will-Not-Give-Up-Without-a-Fight
It is believable, but still 'just a poll', and context is everything, So I searched the background of the company behind the poll, since I didn't recognize it, and lo and behold, they just got more believable, depending how you 'buy them' or not. They hail from the Right:
[...]
Vancouver municipal election 2011: Non-Partisan Association (NPA) has recently hired Ontario-based market research agency Campaign Research for its election campaign.

The agency became well known in Canada after helping Toronto Mayor Rob Ford win during last year’s election. Here’s a bit of background on the firm and what they do:

What is Campaign Research Inc.?

Campaign Research is a “full service marketing research agency”, founded in 2003 by researchers and conservative political activists Richard Ciano and Nick Kouvalis.

The agency has expanded over the past few years to conduct research and strategy services all over Canada, in the U.S. and overseas. They have worked in politics and public affairs, as well as with companies in industries ranging from agriculture and mining to healthcare and the non-profit sector.

Formerly the national vice-president of the Conservative Party of Canada, Ciano primarily worked out of Ottawa and then Toronto, while Kouvalis continues to manage the office they operate in his hometown of Windsor, Ontario. Campaign Research also now has offices in Guelph and Vancouver.[...]
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politics/2011/10/19/campaign-research-inc-npas-not-so-secret-weapon

So needles (sic) to say, this isn't a self-serving 'leftie' aggrandizement...I don't have to elaborate on who Kouvalis is, and his Leitching heavy mentals...

It's the trend more than any given poll...very interesting...

As Steve Paikin pointed out, Campaign Research is owned by two CPC/PC supporters.

ans people at the poverty line actually vote?
70% of voters in Toronto support a $15 minimum wage
A new Forum Research Poll that made headlines last week showed that 70% of voters in Toronto support a $15 minimum wage. These numbers are in line with another Poll released last year showing that two-thirds of Canadians wanted to see a $15 minimum wage. So far, the Federal New Democrat Party, the Ontario New Democrat Party, the Green Party, and Quebec Solidaire have all thrown their support behind a $15 minimum wage. Will the Ontario Liberal Party get on board?
http://www.workersactioncentre.org/updates/70-of-voters-in-toronto-support-a-15-minimum-wage/

Back