News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We can be reasonably certain that those who voted Ford will not get what they expect (and probably the rest of us either). His promises, as is, are not sustainable.

What will give? I haven't got a clue. Interesting days ahead.

I just realised that $15 minimum wage is another economically beneficial thing we won't be seeing.

Or wait, are you telling me I could be wrong? This will be fun.

Douglas Ford at Council of the Federation.......wow.

I just realised that $15 minimum wage is another economically beneficial thing we won't be seeing.

Or wait, are you telling me I could be wrong? This will be fun.

Douglas Ford at Council of the Federation.......wow.

I don't have any inside baseball on this one, ........yet.

But I actually expect the minimum wage 'freeze' will come to pass, as that one doesn't really cost anything.

Though, it does lower personal income tax revenue a tad.........(not increasing it)

I don't have any inside baseball on this one, ........yet.

But I actually expect the minimum wage 'freeze' will come to pass, as that one doesn't really cost anything.

Though, it does lower personal income tax revenue a tad.........(not increasing it)

Does more than that....it helps stifle economic growth which obviously also stifles revenue.

I joined the Greens in 2003, at 18, with one issue in mind: electoral reform. I won't give it a rest until we live in a true democracy.....or death. Whichever. Don't really care. Just not giving it a rest. Potemkin democracies aren't my cup of tea.

Speaking of Green, it's worth noting that for all his signage, Tim Grant actually lost ground over 2014 and was barely past his 2011 share--and he's still Toronto's only 5%er.

And speaking of all of that: back in the Patrick Brown days, some of us might have wondered whether the Tories were poised to nab second from the NDP in Spadina-Ft York and University-Rosedale--we certainly wouldn't have imagined that they'd almost nab second in those two ridings from the *Liberals*, instead (and the incumbent in the former case)

Eat-Crow.jpg

Just go away

Speaking of Green, it's worth noting that for all his signage, Tim Grant actually lost ground over 2014 and was barely past his 2011 share--and he's still Toronto's only 5%er.

Yeah, Toronto is a bit of a status quo wasteland.

Donkey piss is the technical term. I never touch the stuff. I drink real beer, chiefly Pilsner Urquell--the best beer in the world. Man I could use some right now. I only have a Löwenbräu and some gin from Revelstoke.
A few years back I was in Brno Czech Republic and was introduced to Urquell. I brought back a case in my luggage.

Let this be a lesson to those who identify as progressives, that the strength of populism can not be countered by freebies borrowed against future generations. Free pharmacare, free tuition, higher minimum wage, etc, etc. Doesn't do it.

Many people just want less government and less tax, and want to stand on their own feet. They don't care about HRC, LGBT rights, or anything urban progressives want. That's why they're big fans of law and order, to keep the mob of have-nots at bay.

Last edited:
Let this be a lesson to those who identify as progressives, that the strength of populism can not be countered by freebies borrowed against future generations. Free pharmacare, free tuition, higher minimum wage, etc, etc. Doesn't do it.

Many people just want less government and less tax, and want to stand on their own feet. They don't care about HRC, LGBT rights, or anything urban progressives want. That's why they're big fans of law and order, to keep the mob on have note at bay.

Odd, considering freebies borrowed against future generation is exactly what was promised - both in tax reduction and in expenditures. And it sure is even odder that the law and order crowd went for an ex-dealer with a family history of association with dubious activities and voted for a party where 1/4 of the candidates are under investigation (nevermind that the policing apparatus is one of the highest paid services around).

You're right in one thing though - let this be a lesson - that populism is never a great idea. Because it seem to be one lesson that need to be learned over and over. We shall find out in 4 years.

AoD

Last edited:
Odd, considering freebies borrowed against future generation is exactly what was promised - both in tax reduction and in expenditures. And it sure is even odder that the law and order crowd went for an ex-dealer and voted for a party where 1/4 of the candidates are under investigation (nevermind that the policing apparatus is one of the highest paid services around).

You're right in one thing though - let this be a lesson - that populism is never a great idea. Because it seem to be one lesson that need to be learned over and over. We shall find out in 4 years.

AoD
On one hand, life has to go on and one has to accept the outcome. And Horwath is hardly the brightest shaving on a metal lathe, even though she would have been the lesser evil, but there is a feeling of dread that permeates the sense of being akin to when foreign invaders take-over your homeland, let in by columnists. It's a sad comment on Ontarians.

On the upside, this might engender a progressive running for Mayor of Toronto to somewhat counter the dread.

On one hand, life has to go on and one has to accept the outcome. And Horwath is hardly the brightest shaving on a metal lathe, even though she would have been the lesser evil, but there is a feeling of dread that permeates the sense of being akin to when foreign invaders take-over your homeland, let in by columnists. It's a sad comment on Ontarians.

On the upside, this might engender a progressive running for Mayor of Toronto to somewhat counter the dread.

Of course, following the rules of governance is a non-starter - the alternatives is not merely bad, it is unimaginable. As to Horwath - I am not sure if expecting her to pull the nigh implausible is fair - or that she/the old left is truly the saviour. Maybe we need 4 years of BS to cleanse it out of our system.

AoD

Let this be a lesson to those who identify as progressives, that the strength of populism can not be countered by freebies borrowed against future generations.
So can you finally set the record straight as to who you were voting for/supporting? You took me to issue as to my surmise you were supporting Ford, made statements that you were not a Ford supporter, but a Horwath one, and have made a series of contradictory claims since.

Was it Ford, Horwath or whom? What you state is celebration of the rule of Jack Boot.

Back