News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Liberals have had 15 years to build the DRL and did nothing. Reelect them and four years from now the DRL will still not be shovel ready. Meanwhile Sheppard East and Scarborough languishes for better transit and gets told to accept a streetcar-like service or eat cake. Subway's too good for y'all.

This is why Ford is resonating with all of Scarborough and most of North York based on riding seat projections, he's the only one of the three leaders speaking their language. And it's an appealing message for any suburban Ontarian to hear. Elect Doug and infrastructure spending will influx into your riding to build what you, the people, want, not what some elitist in Queen's Park dictates.

It will be much easier for Ford to deliver the subways at the Provincial level even with a minority. Much different Government structure and support from the Municipal level where Rob was being road blocked by outer area councillors from progressing towards building a well connected plan. The main reason the DRL has seen recent funding from the Liberals is also due to the pressure from Ford and the desperation to hold onto Metro support. Metro voters should start thanking Ford(s) and Tory for this subway pressure over the last 8 years and their push for resident supported projects across the entire City. The City's most neglected areas of the City want little to do with a poorly connected, separate technology transit which adds transfer and differs from the wealthier areas and having a "fact checking" know it all Councillor from one of the richest subway/ transit wards in the City tell them otherwise wont help this issue. Although this ignorance likely does help Ford a great deal

Hahaha.

Matlow’s office checks Ford’s math on transit announcement and finds his plan short by *$16 billion* based on publicly-available information.

http://joshmatlow.ca/ward-22/newsletters/1882-doug-fords-transit-math-doesnt-add-up.html

Ironically, Matlow's math doesn't check. Perhaps a typo, but he has the Eglinton West extension at $4.48B, where it should be $4.048B, based on his own numbers ($368/km x 11km). I thought it was odd that the Eglinton West extension was more than Eglinton East extension, though EW is 1 km shorter, per the letter.

Also the DRL and Yonge North have funding allocated outside of the $5 billion.

The only projects Ford's money needs to go towards is Sheppard, the extra billion to bring back the 3 stop Scarborough subway, and whatever is needed to underground Eglinton East and West.

Even then, I believe eglinton east will probably remain mostly at grade, with some additional grade separations considered for Eglinton West like they were originally planning.

Also the DRL and Yonge North have funding allocated outside of the $5 billion.

The only projects Ford's money needs to go towards is Sheppard, the extra billion to bring back the 3 stop Scarborough subway, and whatever is needed to underground Eglinton East and West.

Even then, I believe eglinton east will probably remain mostly at grade, with some additional grade separations considered for Eglinton West like they were originally planning.

That’s still a lot more than $5 Billion

oh absolutely.

Probably around $9 billion, considering $6 billion for Sheppard subway, $1 billion for 3 stop SSE, and $2.5 billion for additional Eglinton Grade Separations.

That level could probably be funded through municipal and/or federal cost matching.

Now that of course is just for the basic expansions - the proposed uploading of the subway network means that the province would also be on the hook for major upgrades - The new Obico yard - $ 1 billion, ATC on Line 2 - $1 billion, etc.

FWIW, here's a video of last night's Davenport candidates debate focused on transportation.

Davenport (Toronto) Provincial Election Candidates Debate: Transportation
Hosted by Options For Davenport, moderated by Dave Bidini of The West End Phoenix.

Wednesday May 9, 2018
New Horizons Tower, 1140 Bloor St. W., Toronto

Candidates:
Marit Stiles - New Democratic Party of Ontario
Kirsten Snider - Green Party of Ontario
Cristina Martins - Ontario Liberal Party
Dr. Fed Sanchez - Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario

I think its nearly pointless to try to cost out the promises from all 3 parties.

Do you really think the Liberals can keep their transit promises + bring in call those new social programs? I don't.

And we know Doug will say whatever he thinks will get him elected.

I haven't had a chance to really look at the NDP's platform yet but I bet they face the same issue.

They all do - and they find the budget gaps to do it.

Everyone acts that the liberals offer some miracle of improved services and programs, but the reality is that they have been flatlining department budgets for years now trying to free up operational spending to implement these programs. Plus their deficit spending.

I expect all governments will continue deficit spending since they can financially do it and it works well for them politically. Ford will use it primarily for tax cuts, Wynne on social programs, and Horwath will provide even more social programs by increasing taxes to cover some of it.

$5 billion in funding is also relatively small cash for a government that has an annual operating budget of over $130 billion. Especially since the spending will be spread out over many years.

Councillor Matlow has released a statement on Doug Ford's transit promises:

pc%20transit1.jpg

City councillors should be careful playing partisan politics at a higher level of government. I don't want Toronto getting screwed over because of poor relations with a new government.

City councillors should be careful playing partisan politics at a higher level of government. I don't want Toronto getting screwed over because of poor relations with a new government.

It's really only the Mayor who needs to be careful of something like that, IMO. Which is exactly why Tory has been quite silent throughout this whole election, being careful not to step on anyone's toes.

Back