News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The CPC did a great job of getting the immigrant and minority vote in 2011. Kenney in particular excelled at wooing those voters. However, they managed to piss it all away with fear tactics in 2015 and those people voted Liberal in droves. Stuff like the snitch line really didn't help at all.

Sorry for being black and white, but both the Liberals and CPC are wooing the immigrant vote. The difference mainly being that the CPC is supporting those who want to come to this country with skills to work, while the Liberals want the ones who will be loyal voters. On the Refugee front, the CPC support bringing the truly oppressed to the country, while the Liberals concentrate on those who will be loyal voters.

On the Refugee front, the CPC support bringing the truly oppressed to the country, while the Liberals concentrate on those who will be loyal voters.

Yeah, truly "oppressed". Like, they can't build big-ass tasteless North American-style McMansions in their communistic homelands, so they come over here where they can do so--and then get all hot and bothered because the Liberals are imposing the kinds of communistic land-use regulations they came to Canada to escape from...

The CPC did a great job of getting the immigrant and minority vote in 2011. Kenney in particular excelled at wooing those voters. However, they managed to piss it all away with fear tactics in 2015 and those people voted Liberal in droves. Stuff like the snitch line really didn't help at all.

The Prime Ministers last name carries a lot of weight in the immigrant community...

Pretty much any immigrant that lived in the 80s or so, voted for Trudeau blindly that I know.

Ya know, I see parallel's of a sort with the lead up to this campaign.

Both the Conservatives and the Liberals seem to be doing their best to stick their foot in it, in different, but equally asinine ways.

You've got one party with some hot head, loudmouths, and a leader with a reputation for looking the other way; and another party whose leader seems vapid and obtuse for all his articulateness; and whose misplaced smugness grates on a sizable portion of the electorate.

Both of those parties, thus far, have only put forward 'more-of-the-same', vague policies and platitudes in regard to ambition's for Canada in the years ahead.

Its really quite disappointing.

I will, nonetheless, hold out hope for some quality public policy proposals when the platforms are released.

At this point, I am certainly hoping for a minority government regardless and neither of the parties most likely to lead a government seem deserving of said role.

The comparison, btw, being that both parties should have had immense strengths coming into this campaign. The Libs had a popular, young, leader, and have a had a pretty good economic ride; but have been beset by scandal, poor optics/communication and a sense of under-performance.

In light of the above, the Conservatives would seem to have a clear opportunity to sweep to power, but keep managing to offend the very voters they need to pull that off.

Its like they're both reading for the instruction manual: "How to alienate voters and lose elections"

Robert Benzie @robertbenzie
1h
NEW: @johnVcorbett poll for the @TorontoStar finds 54 per cent of those surveyed “less likely” to vote for @AndrewScheer in October due to @fordnation’s policies. #onpoli #cdnpoli

Canadian jobless rate drops to 5.4%, lowest level in 43 years...

The Canadian economy added 27,700 jobs in May, enough to push the jobless rate down to 5.4 per cent — its lowest level since 1976.
Statistics Canada reported Friday the jobless rate dropped three ticks mainly because there were almost 50,000 fewer people looking for work.

May's job gain comes on the heels of 106,500 added in April, the best month for jobs on record.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/may-jobs-statscan-1.5166200

Last edited:
Canadian jobless rate drops to 5.4%, lowest level in 43 years...

The Canadian economy added 27,700 jobs in May, enough to push the jobless rate down to 5.4 per cent — its lowest level since 1976.
Statistics Canada reported Friday the jobless rate dropped three ticks mainly because there were almost 50,000 fewer people looking for work.

May's job gain comes on the heels of 106,500 added in April, the best month for jobs on record.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/may-jobs-statscan-1.5166200

I replied to a link to this article in the Justin Trudeau's Canada thread, I think my response there, fits here as well. *cross-post*

Better than it looks like at first blush too.

The increase in jobs was made up entirely of full-time employment as there was no change in the number of part-time jobs.

Year-over-year average hourly wage growth for all employees, a key indicator monitored by the Bank of Canada ahead of its interest-rate decisions, 2.8 per cent in May, up from 2.5 per cent in April.

These numbers are better than what's embedded in the provincial/federal budgets. I think the Q1 numbers for those (not out till late summer) will be very interesting.

Edit: Just looked at the provincial breakdown. Only Newfoundland and PEI went the wrong way. Prairies and Quebec held steady. Nice improvements in NS and NB. BC staying red hot, lowest unemployment in the country at 4.3%

But the big number here is Ontario.......from 6.0% down to 5.2%!

Toronto also improved dropping from 6.6% to 6.3% (that seems high given the Ontario number)

Can someone explain Barrie to me? No, seriously..... 7.3% unemployment, highest I saw in Ontario.

Interesting stat for the 2019 Federal election. The Ford vote in Ontario last year was basically the same as what Harper got in 2015 (when the CPC lost).

D8eZ54GXkAEtViw.png

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-ford-trudeau-ridings-1.5161906

Interesting stat for the 2019 Federal election. The Ford vote in Ontario last year was basically the same as what Harper got in 2015 (when the CPC lost).

View attachment 189575

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-ford-trudeau-ridings-1.5161906

Issue is will all the people who voted Liberal consisting of a lot of first time and youth voters come out in 2019?

I dont think the Conservatives will get a lot more votes in 2019, it is about how much the liberals drop in vote totals that will decide their fate.

Personally I think the liberals are going to lose a lot of votes as I know a lot of people who voted Liberal who frankly will either vote Conservative or just not vote at all.

Doug Ford is seriously hurting the CPC right now. A CPC voting friend of mine basically wrote off all of Toronto as hostile to any conservative party at this point.

Doug Ford is seriously hurting the CPC right now. A CPC voting friend of mine basically wrote off all of Toronto as hostile to any conservative party at this point.

Yay! Hooray! 25 seats that didn't vote Conservative the last time around probably won't do so again. Mind blown!

What anti-Conservatives seem to not grasp is that the CPC do not need the City to win a majority. Even a handful of wins in the 416 would be more than adequate. And I know a few ridings where this outcome may prove to come true.

Yay! Hooray! 25 seats that didn't vote Conservative the last time around probably won't do so again. Mind blown!

What anti-Conservatives seem to not grasp is that the CPC do not need the City to win a majority. Even a handful of wins in the 416 would be more than adequate. And I know a few ridings where this outcome may prove to come true.
I wouldn't be so flippant.

They will most likely lose the 905 as well thanks to Ford fucking up Ontario.

I will die of laughter if Ford is the reason Trudeau survives with a minority.

For decades now Ontario has usually had a Conservative government when the federal government is Liberal and vice versa. It seems we're always angry at one party and vote for the other one at the next election. The anger at Doug Ford right now makes the SNC Lavalin controversy seem quaint in comparison. As the province with the biggest population, that doesn't bode well for Scheer. If in three years we still don't like Ford and replace him with a Liberal, then the anger will probably shift back to Trudeau.

I wouldn't be so flippant.

They will most likely lose the 905 as well thanks to Ford fucking up Ontario.

I will die of laughter if Ford is the reason Trudeau survives with a minority.

Agreed. I wonder when Doug will run his mouth, despite being told by Scheer to stay out of it.

Back