News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That's wank as all hell.

Czechia has a 22% VAT and I sure as hell love travelling there.
Is Czechia the official name, or are both Czech Republic and Czechia acceptable?
I always thought they should be called Czechovia. Why not partially include those Moravians in the title a bit.

Is Czechia the official name, or are both Czech Republic and Czechia acceptable?
I always thought they should be called Czechovia. Why not partially include those Moravians in the title a bit.
Both Czech Republic and Czechia are officially acceptable. It is like "United Mexican States" or simply "Mexico".

I think why Czechia in particular, is that they wanted something that was easy to pronounce for foreigners, and it is the closest to "Cechy" in Czech. Their constitution states "We, citizens of the Czech Republic in Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia… ".

Because then you'd be excluding the Silesians and Czechs is the term for all the local people: Bohemians, Moravians, and Silesians.

Though, given the history, language, and ethnic composition of the place we could also refer to them as Pseudo-German Slavs. ? Though that ,ight not go over well with most of the locals....it just fits my family history well.

And given that it's really one continuum of ethnolinguistics from Aš to Michalovce (or even Uzhhorod), some of us still refer to anyone born before 1993 as Czechoslovakian and even just consider all the Czechs and Slovaks to be one people. By the way, this is no excuse for people referring to the place as Czechoslovakia in ignorant fashion as is all too common. Or maybe it is.

The two countries are still really close. Familial, cultural, linguistic, educational, etc ties bind deep. My Czech and Slovak friends all consider it to be the same country anyway, all of us being dual Canadian-EU citizens.

Anyway, Czechia is just easier and ties us closer to Slovakia in another way. :)

Last edited:

SoCon groups are doing their usual whining.

Meanwhile...

Who cares? It's not going to happen.

People need to stop worrying about it and those who want it restricted need to move on to another party; the Conservative Party isn't for them.

People need to stop worrying about it and those who want it restricted need to move on to another party; the Conservative Party isn't for them.
Backsliding isn't an impossibility.
No one thought they needed to be worried about Donald Trump entering the primaries either, it was a joke. Now...

Eternal vigilance - history is replete with examples of backsliding. They know just as well as anyone that the path to their viewpoints being made good is not through splintering into a separate party, but coopting the existing one (recall the role of SoCons in the leadership process - both CPC and OPC)

AoD

I agree. So-Cons are clowns. It's their fault he lost. They will always be the whipping boys because they they're the one who people think about when talking of conservative hypocrites, their the ones who embarrass the party with their erroneous and often socially unacceptable statements, and they repel swing voters. So yes, they'll be the scapegoats. I'd rather they stay home.

Rather disappointing IMO:

"I want the hatred you have for Maxime Bernier to wash over you as a purifying force," Kinsella tells his staff in one recording, made during a meeting on May 16. "There's nobody in the country doing what we're doing to Max Bernier."
In response to questions from CBC News, Kinsella would not say who he was talking about in those recordings. A source previously said the campaign was conducted on behalf of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Hamish Marshall was the Conservatives' 2019 federal election campaign manager, while John Walsh is the former president of the Conservative Party and was a co-chair of the election campaign.
"We actually have a white supremacist trying to become prime minister of Canada," Kinsella says. "I've run campaigns depicting Preston Manning, Stockwell Day, Kim Campbell, depicting them as racists.

"None of them were. But I was successful at depicting them as racists. This guy actually is a racist. Okay? So it's low-hanging fruit."

Back