News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why not both?

Besides they need to after the mafia and biker gangs too.

To add to that. You can go after gangs but as with all things you will still have people shooting and stabbing other people.

Give a man a gun and he will shoot someone in the ass if he is angry enough

Why not both?
Because I’d argue we don’t have a gun problem. It’s no easier today to buy a gun either legally in Canada or at a US gun show and smuggle it into Canada than it was ten or twenty years ago. Nothing has changed on the availability of guns. What has changed is the gangstas.

If we can eliminate the gangs, it won’t matter if there’s millions of guns. I’m done with the basket ball courts and after school programs. I want to see TPS, and where applicable OPP and RCMP kicking in some doors.

Of note:

The West Has a Resentment Epidemic
Across the West, the main trigger of populism has been the growing inequality—and hostility—between urban and rural regions.
BY ROBERTO STEFAN FOA, JONATHAN WILMOT. SEPTEMBER 18, 2019, 4:31 PM

Of note:

The West Has a Resentment Epidemic
Across the West, the main trigger of populism has been the growing inequality—and hostility—between urban and rural regions.
BY ROBERTO STEFAN FOA, JONATHAN WILMOT. SEPTEMBER 18, 2019, 4:31 PM

There is certainly some of that in Canada now; and the potential for more.

BUT, I will say, that I see less potential for it here; in as much as we have equalization payments to even out the fortunes of different provinces; we're also a very urbanized nation, even in comparatively more rural areas. (ie. in Newfoundland, St. John's is often referred to as the City-State. Such is its outsized importance in a fairly rural region.

That said, there is need to keep an eye on that issue; I think an equally large, if not larger issue in Canada is income inequality in large urban centres, notably, Toronto and Vancouver, where the cost of housing and polarization of incomes has potential to create serious social dissonance.

Important to get out in front on such things; before society pays a price for not so benign neglect.

Because I’d argue we don’t have a gun problem. It’s no easier today to buy a gun either legally in Canada or at a US gun show and smuggle it into Canada than it was ten or twenty years ago. Nothing has changed on the availability of guns. What has changed is the gangstas.

If we can eliminate the gangs, it won’t matter if there’s millions of guns. I’m done with the basket ball courts and after school programs. I want to see TPS, and where applicable OPP and RCMP kicking in some doors.

The big problem is policing the massive amount of trade shipments between the two countries. You simply can't search the massive number of sea-cans and semis that cross on a daily basis. Fighting this takes coordinated intelligence which I think takes place, but it's a huge challenge. In terms of guns, we are a market and the US isa well stocked warehouse.
The street gangs that are shooting up the streets are mostly local and founded on turf and drug sales and governed as much by ego/reputation as they are profit, but I wouldn't call them highly sophisticated. However, their supply chain ties them into more sophisticated and international gangs. You don't see the mafia or bike gangs shooting up the streets on a daily basis (the odd in-house cleansing aside) but they are most certainly part of the problem.

There is certainly some of that in Canada now; and the potential for more.

BUT, I will say, that I see less potential for it here; in as much as we have equalization payments to even out the fortunes of different provinces; we're also a very urbanized nation, even in comparatively more rural areas. (ie. in Newfoundland, St. John's is often referred to as the City-State. Such is its outsized importance in a fairly rural region.

That said, there is need to keep an eye on that issue; I think an equally large, if not larger issue in Canada is income inequality in large urban centres, notably, Toronto and Vancouver, where the cost of housing and polarization of incomes has potential to create serious social dissonance.

Important to get out in front on such things; before society pays a price for not so benign neglect.

Definitely so, but I would also say that the problem still occurs as an intraprovincial one. Hence Doug Ford as one instance in Ontario.

(Not to mention the various inter-provincial resentments that come out of equalization, as it's still a very flawed system that benefits Quebec over other provinces).

I think the LIberals will win but some big news will follow the elections

JT will announce he will not be seeking another term
The Greens and Ndp will merge

I think the LIberals will win but some big news will follow the elections

JT will announce he will not be seeking another term
The Greens and Ndp will merge

I doubt the NDP and Greens will merge and quite honestly I like them as distinct parties.

I don't see how the Ndp can last on its own much longer there bleeding money.

I doubt they will last much longer as well. The problem is they focus too much on low income working class individuals who have little money to spare. Most times the individual ridings are ill prepared for elections financially.

That said if they did merge with anyone they would be the lesser partner in the merger.

If they were decimated this election and drop below the Greens in terms of support I can see them folding like the CCF did. They won't have the money to survive another election especially if we end up in a minority situation.

If we have a minority government next month the NDP will be finished.

Definitely so, but I would also say that the problem still occurs as an intraprovincial one. Hence Doug Ford as one instance in Ontario.

Yes; though Doug picked up seats in the 416 and the 905 which hardly have regional grievances. In Ontario the less well off areas area would be in the north; portions of the south-west and rural east.

I think within Ontario the greater issue is income inequality; and to a lesser degree the pace of change, which some do find overwhelming.

There is a roll for better managing both these issues in Ontario; though I feel certain Mr. Ford is not part of the answer.

(Not to mention the various inter-provincial resentments that come out of equalization, as it's still a very flawed system that benefits Quebec over other provinces).

In total dollars Quebec is by far the biggest beneficiary; but its also by far the most populous beneficiary.

I would suggest that Manitoba and virtually all maritime provinces have been larger per capita beneficiaries over the last 3 decades; as was Saskatchewan for a number of years.

In the case of Alberta, its their choice (along with other resource rich provinces) to exclude resource revenue from the calculation, as they don't wish to share when times are good; the downside is when the oil price craters, it doesn't trigger any increase in equalization.

If Alberta intelligently implemented a sales tax and raised enough revenue to pay its bills; and set aside royalties in a rainy day fund/sovereign wealth fund, it would be just fine when prices fluctuate. But so far its politicians have lacked the courage to do this incredibly sensible thing.

I doubt they will last much longer as well. The problem is they focus too much on low income working class individuals who have little money to spare. Most times the individual ridings are ill prepared for elections financially.

That said if they did merge with anyone they would be the lesser partner in the merger.

If they were decimated this election and drop below the Greens in terms of support I can see them folding like the CCF did. They won't have the money to survive another election especially if we end up in a minority situation.

If we have a minority government next month the NDP will be finished.

Given how Jagmeet's been performing so far, decimation/below-Greens seems less and less of a certainty as the campaign inches along.

Back