News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ ouch, so true though. Who really cares about the Pan-Am games other than the athletes and family?

^ ouch, so true though. Who really cares about the Pan-Am games other than the athletes and family?

Who else cares are the memebers of the national athletic organizations in attendance who go back to their Olympic committee members and tell them something like "Toronto is incompotent." They don't have much else to go on, except for maybe how much we bribe them :)

if we wait to bid for 2024 we risk the global economy recovering and therefore a more competitive bidding war. Also it does nothing to accelerate the DRL NOW!!!!

I'm sure discussions will pick up on the airwaves and eventually get the Fords on the air talking about the potential of 2020 Olympics in Toronto.

The only sporting event the Fords are likely to care about is the Superbowl.

you can only get a superbowl if you have a nfl franchise. I think he could spin it that the games would be good for the economy and the tourism. It would also create athletic facilities in the largest city in the country. He could pretend its profitable so he can justify his massive stadium which would be key in luring a nfl team. At the same time hopefully the city can benefit from transit upgrades. Canadians just had a great winter games. There national pride is at a all time high. It might be the one time people in the country would be supportive of a toronto games. At least its in canada would be the thought. I dont care, I just think it might be a great way to get revenue from feds and province for a drl. But I wont lie I d like NFL, even though I cant understrand why they couldnt p[lay in a modified rogers centre.

The term "Life is what you make it" also applies to The Pan-Am Games.

It may not be a very prominent event for most of the world but that doesn't mean we can't make a great Toronto party out of it. Torontonians have proven that they will support big events and we love a good party. We could very easily turn this into more then a sporting event, with culture and entertainment as part of the plan. I think that is what's planned, so just go with the flow and have FUN! I know I'll be there at all the cultural events.

Life is short, why not squeeze every bit of fun out of it, you can get!

I almost feel embarrassed for Toronto wanting the Pan Am games. Personally I didn't even think they still held them...............I thought they had gone the way of Pan Am Airlines. After the Olympics being in 3 of our 4 largest cities and Edmonton having the Commonwealth games all Canada biggest and most "world class" city can manage is a non-event all despite even this meager attempt all you are getting is a "high speed rail" line to Pearson............the only city on the planet that thinks diesel rail is high speed.

I almost feel embarrassed for Toronto wanting the Pan Am games. Personally I didn't even think they still held them...............I thought they had gone the way of Pan Am Airlines. After the Olympics being in 3 of our 4 largest cities and Edmonton having the Commonwealth games all Canada biggest and most "world class" city can manage is a non-event all despite even this meager attempt all you are getting is a "high speed rail" line to Pearson............the only city on the planet that thinks diesel rail is high speed.

Someone's jealous!

Toronto welcomes all events, large and small.

Especially events featuring hundreds of hot tight bodied athletes looking to celebrate.

Actually I think the Olympics are a horrid waste of funds it's just that Toronto thinking that getting the Pan Am games is a big deal is what I find embarrasing.
Events like a World's Fair has more long term benefits for the citizens and the economy..........they are 6 month events where one can showcase their city not 2 week circus. Expo '67 and '84 did far more for Montreal and Vancouver than their Olympics did and also were enjoyed by the people of the city.

I don't see how the games are being made out to be abigger deal than they are. It is rarely mentioned in the media. It is not a common topic of conversation at my office or amongst my friends. IIRC, you don't live anywhere near here, so on what basis do you have to generalize us like that?

What is a big deal is the Pan Am games as a kickoff to development of the Portlands. A truly massive area that will be radically changed. That is what is talked about and that is what is the big deal to Toronto residents.

Last edited:
To simply say that the Olympics cost the city money is highly misleading. It costs the city money because you end up building a lot of sports arenas, transit improvements, housing, and renovations. If the costs of all those things aren't returned via the games, then it's considered a loss when it really isn't, because you still get to keep all the things you built! At the end of the day what you really get is good quality sports arenas for the community at extremely low prices. On top of that, all the money you do spend is only pumped back into the local economy through construction worker's wages. The Olympic games is a highly profitable spectacle.

You must be out of the loop if you haven't heard over the last two years that we'd won the games. Why this cultural contempt for a pan-Americas competition compared to the pan-British Empire competition? Do you think the British Commonwealth has any more future than the French Community did? Finally, besides yourself, who is suggesting the Pearson-Union Air-Rail Link is 'high speed'?

At the last PanAm Games over 5,600 atletes from 42 countries competed. At the last Commonwealth Games over 3,000 athletes from 46 countries competed.

I, too, was at first disappointed about the PanAm Games since we've been tantalized by visions of the Olympics for the last couple of decades. But there's nothing belittling about hosting these games; major world cities have hosted them in the past, and major cities are presumed to be capable of hosting any sort of event by nature. We should take an interest and see to it that all our visitors have a great time and are warmly received, be it in the venues or in public places.

How is it that Bob and Doug Mackenzie, er Rob and Doug "just visiting" Ford, can take it upon themselves to decide on such a matter?

That said, I'm not in favour of a Toronto 2020 bid. If we end up bidding (which I have mixed feelings about) 2024 makes a lot more sense.

Back