News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

54861031-10568563-image-a-1_1646234713548.jpg

LOL! Now that's a rogue's gallery if I ever saw one.

Very interesting that Serbia is the only grey spot in all of Europe. They just can't help themselves, can they?

Last edited:
Those dudes could sing the Sesame Street song and it would sound epic.

Trump was also actively trying to deconstruct NATO. Canada should not be complacent in assuming the US will come to help no matter how likely that may be.

Powers rise and fall, and the geopolitical structure changes, we're seeing that as we speak and we need to be prepared.

Putin bombed a holocaust memorial yesterday as apart of his "denazification" campaign. Who knows where he'll stop. I think he's crazy enough to try and take on NATO.
I just said in my last post that I'm in favour of a larger military so I'm obviously not arguing for complacency. Still, with the united response to the invasion of Ukraine, a non-NATO country, there's no doubt that NATO (not just the US) would defend Canada if there were a hypothetical invasion. There's no sign of the alliance faltering. If anything it's getting stronger.

Yes, a pretty decisive vote.

View attachment 382774

The U.N. approves a resolution demanding Russia end the invasion of Ukraine

From link.

The United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday approved a non-binding resolution condemning Russia for invading Ukraine and demanding that it withdraw its military forces.

The vote came after a series of speeches during which the majority of countries called on Russia to end the violence in Ukraine, which has continued for nearly one week.

Sergiy Kyslytsya, the Ukrainian ambassador to the U.N., urged countries to vote in favor of the resolution in an emotional address that ended with applause from the chamber.

"It's already clear that the goal of Russia is not an occupation only. It is genocide," Kyslytsya said.

Vassily Nebenzia, Russia's ambassador to the U.N., asked members to vote against the resolution and said Western powers were exerting pressure on other countries to vote in favor of it. Belarus and Syria were among the countries that spoke out against the resolution.

There was widespread international support for the resolution​

Ultimately, the resolution passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 141 to 5 with 35 abstentions. The five countries that voted against it were Russia, Belarus, Syria, North Korea and Eritrea.
"The truth is that this war was one man's choice and one man alone: President Putin. It was his choice to force hundreds of thousands of people to stuff their lives into backpacks and flee the country," said U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Linda Thomas-Greenfield.

"Those were President Putin's choices. Now it is time to make ours. The United States is choosing to stand with the Ukrainian people," she added.

The measure's passage showed that "a global anti-Putin coalition has been formed and is functioning," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a tweet after the vote.

"The world is with us. The truth is on our side. Victory will be ours!" Zelenskyy added....

The tokenism is great for moral support.

Now are we willing to discuss the sacrifices we're willing to make (inflation, higher taxes, more refugees, etc) to help Ukraine, fight Putin and deter China from the same?

The tokenism is great for moral support.

Now are we willing to discuss the sacrifices we're willing to make (inflation, higher taxes, more refugees, etc) to help Ukraine, fight Putin and deter China from the same?

I think Freeland has already said that we will get an unavoidable economic hit from this - and it's high time we have a frank discussion (as a precursor to concrete action) about what we need to do to beef up our defense.

AoD

It's not just defence. We need funding for better intelligence, hardening infrastructure, cyberwar, countering foreign influence, etc

We need a grand strategy that reduces global oil demand. Both for climate change and to crush petrostate bad boys like Russia.

We aren't going to defeat Putin thinking one step ahead.

Back