News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

CBC Toronto has a story up..........currently, 7 candidates for Council, 6 incumbents councillors running un-opposed. Still time to go to the deadline...........( 2 weeks)

Running unopposed as at August 4th, 2022:

Councillor Bradford
Councillor Fletcher
Councillor Ainslie
Councilor Holyday
Councillor Thompson
Councillor Carroll

Candidate Stephen Ksiazek, who I mentioned above is running for DMW's old seat.

Not really surprised about Carroll, Ainslie or Thompson; they all seem relatively popular and innocuous enough figures to their residents.

Fletcher running again is such a drag.....

Somewhat surprised not to see opposition to Holyday, even if he would steamroll them.

But Bradford is a shock, he's a very polarizing figure.

Between the Danforth Bike lane, the Rapid Housing by Stan Wadlow and the Housing Now site at Queen/Eastern/Coxwell; I was sure he would get a high profile challenger from the right-centre.
Alternatively many progressives here rate him as a Tory-apologist.

So I thought the NDP machine might take a go at him.

Getting late.

I'm half tempted to run against Holyday. I can't stand the guy.

Go for it!

Edit to add: Its very late to mount a serious campaign, but if you know the right folks and can get a war-chest flush quickly, it can be done.

Elsewise, if you want to run just to force him into a debate, and maybe get some profile for a future run, that can work too.

Go for it!

Edit to add: Its very late to mount a serious campaign, but if you know the right folks and can get a war-chest flush quickly, it can be done.

Elsewise, if you want to run just to force him into a debate, and maybe get some profile for a future run, that can work too.
I do not know the right folks, and I have no war chest! 🤣

If you're a voter in Scarborough-Agincourt, make sure to bring your reading glasses to the voting booth.

1659725253309.png

Source

On the topic, does anyone know what happens if two candidates share the exact same name?

Attachments

• 1659724963476.png
    1659724963476.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Mike Layton's decision not to run again came out of left field. I could have sworn he was a "lifer." I would be very surprised if he doesn't dive back into politics in the future, especially whenever Chrystia Freeland leaves her University-Rosedale federal seat.

The problem with the left on Toronto Council is that it's really rare for there to be a challenger. And if there is, it becomes a proxy NDP-Liberal war, like Di Pasquale vs. Roxton Potts. The semi-secret NDP machine keeps people like Perks and Fletcher in forever, when their wards really could use fresh blood. I almost wish sometimes we had party politics and primaries, to better challenge the stale oldtimers.

Over the last four years, I've really soured on Gord Perks. But I don't really trust Siri Argell, who comes from the mayor's office.

The problem with the left on Toronto Council is that it's really rare for there to be a challenger. And if there is, it becomes a proxy NDP-Liberal war, like Di Pasquale vs. Roxton Potts. The semi-secret NDP machine keeps people like Perks and Fletcher in forever, when their wards really could use fresh blood. I almost wish sometimes we had party politics and primaries, to better challenge the stale oldtimers.

Over the last four years, I've really soured on Gord Perks. But I don't really trust Siri Argell, who comes from the mayor's office.

I really don't have a problem with term limits, I just don't feel as some advocates do that they need to be set at 2 terms.

I'm prepared to defer to the will of the electorate to keep someone in a job that they like/support for an extended period of time; but capping that at some point....4 terms? 16 years, and you have to move on, does not seem unreasonable to me.

Run-off/ranked ballots forcing Councillors to get 50% + 1 would also help remove some institutional dead wood.

I really don't have a problem with term limits, I just don't feel as some advocates do that they need to be set at 2 terms.

I'm prepared to defer to the will of the electorate to keep someone in a job that they like/support for an extended period of time; but capping that at some point....4 terms? 16 years, and you have to move on, does not seem unreasonable to me.

Run-off/ranked ballots forcing Councillors to get 50% + 1 would also help remove some institutional dead wood.
Though I can certainly see the advantages of term limits if they 'get rid of a dud" (i.e. someone I do not agree with!), the advantage of a long=term Councillor (or long term Ward staff?) is that they can have a vision that will only be implemented over many years. Pam McConnell in the old Ward 28 was someone like that, she kept on pushing things for years, new Union Station, new North Market and a more cohesive Market Precinct, proper streetscapes, heritage conservation district(s) and many of her projects have happened since she died as they were 'in motion".

Of course, term limits would also have stopped the crazies like Mammoliti!

Last edited:
Though I can certainly see the advantages of term limits if they 'get rid of a dud" (i.e. someone I do not agree with!), the advantage of a long=term Councillor (or long term Ward staff?) is that they can have a vision that will only be implemented over many years. Pam McConnell in the old Ward 28 was someone like that, she kept on pushing things for years, new Union Station, new North Market and a more cohesive Market Precinct, proper streetscapes, heritage conservation district(s) and many off her projects have happened since she died as they were 'in motion".

Of course, term limits would also have stopped the crazies like Mammoliti!

Which is why I've been against term limits in principle, but in favour of more democratic methods of dealing with councillors way past their prime, like ranked ballots (where there are no parties, a different system where parties exist). Term limits don't work if there are family legacies (Holyday, Colle) or unofficial party mechanics (McMahon/Bradford, Cressy/Malik) that pre-determine outcomes.

Mark Grimes filed today, running in Etobicoke-Lakeshore again. He got 40% last time, but the anti-Grimes vote was split between Morley and Gough. This time Morley is the clear alternative so if she takes their (Morley + Gough) combined total, she would win.

Mark Grimes filed today, running in Etobicoke-Lakeshore again. He got 40% last time, but the anti-Grimes vote was split between Morley and Gough. This time Morley is the clear alternative so if she takes their (Morley + Gough) combined total, she would win.
not sure about the opposition but Grimes should go!

Continuing the trend of unsuccessful provincial politicians moving to the municipal sphere, Green Party deputy leader Dianne Saxe is running for councillor in University-Rosedale.

1660918193097.png

Continuing the trend of unsuccessful provincial politicians moving to the municipal sphere, Green Party deputy leader Dianne Saxe is running for councillor in University-Rosedale.

View attachment 421433

Hmmm, she's got a good CV, a good record on the environment, I'd want to see her other issue takes, but I'd pencil her in as worthy of consideration.

Last edited:

Back