News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The bike plan had the most conversation so far.

Cartmell proposed an ammendment to the $100 million proposal from Sohi for bike plan - he wants it cut down to $30 million. Seconded by Hamilton.

Then Teng made a motion to fund it at $50 million. Seconded again by Hamilton.

Then Salvador got administration to highlight that if the city is going to reach 2030 energy transition goals it needs to have a well connected bike network to provide a viable transportation alternative and that $30million is not going to get the city there. The $100 million in this next 4 years and then another $100 million in the next budget (2027-30) would get the city there (which is what Janz proposed).

Conversation picks up again on Friday at 9:30am.

Another interesting debate, but hasn't been brought up for discussion yet is the Lewis Farms project. One proposal is to increase funding for Lewis Farms Rec and library to include 50m pool and dive tank while another proposal is to cut its budget to $185 million.

Does anyone know if there has been any money set aside for the Jasper Ave renewal project in the draft of the budget? I understand it isn't necessarily a "must have" but my god is it a bad look having a premier street in the heart of downtown be a mishmash of old and new streets, sidewalks, lights etc. I really want to see this project get done within a reasonable timeframe.

Also didn't appreciate Sohi's suggestions today to reduce the budget on the High level bridge rehab project but increase the budget for new bike lanes. The High level is a landmark and one of our jewels here and to not go all in would be a huge wasted opportunity. Bike lanes, while important, should not have $100 million allocated to it at this time given the need to fix up a bunch of existing and essential infrastructure.

Does anyone know if there has been any money set aside for the Jasper Ave renewal project in the draft of the budget? I understand it isn't necessarily a "must have" but my god is it a bad look having a premier street in the heart of downtown be a mishmash of old and new streets, sidewalks, lights etc. I really want to see this project get done within a reasonable timeframe.

Also didn't appreciate Sohi's suggestions today to reduce the budget on the High level bridge rehab project but increase the budget for new bike lanes. The High level is a landmark and one of our jewels here and to not go all in would be a huge wasted opportunity. Bike lanes, while important, should not have $100 million allocated to it at this time given the need to fix up a bunch of existing and essential infrastructure.

I would like to see the Jasper Ave work completed sooner than later, too.

In terms of bike infrastructure, it's an important part of the city's energy transition plan which is about saving the city money by increasing usage of active transportation. Also more and more evidence shows it saves public health costs and increases safety.

Evidence also shows people use and switch to active transportation options if there is infrastructure and it's time efficient, well connected, safe, pleasant and there is secure bike parking options.

I would like to see the Jasper Ave work completed sooner than later, too.

In terms of bike infrastructure, it's an important part of the city's energy transition plan which is about saving the city money by increasing usage of active transportation. Also more and more evidence shows it saves public health costs and increases safety.

Evidence also shows people use and switch to active transportation options if there is infrastructure and it's time efficient, well connected, safe, pleasant and there is secure bike parking options.

No doubt the evidence is there that this network expansion would be a net benefit for people for transportation, leisure and overall health/well being. However, something about the sheer cost and hyper focus on this issue doesnt bode well with me given the upcoming need to fix up some of our most essential infrastructure projects like High level.

Will be interesting to see what council decides on in the end.

No doubt the evidence is there that this network expansion would be a net benefit for people for transportation, leisure and overall health/well being. However, something about the sheer cost and hyper focus on this issue doesnt bode well with me given the upcoming need to fix up some of our most essential infrastructure projects like High level.

Will be interesting to see what council decides on in the end.

The High Level Bridge is still proposed to undergo its essential rehab.

Last edited:
A motion to defund a few downtown projects by Principe was voted down. Projects include Jasper Ave new vision (102-109 st), the 103a Ave streetscaping and Green and Walkable Downtown project.

Screenshot_20221209-224210_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-224339_YouTube.jpg

A motion to defund a few downtown projects by Principe was voted down. Projects include Jasper Ave new vision (102-109 st), the 103a Ave streetscaping and Green and Walkable Downtown project.

View attachment 444306View attachment 444307
Par for the course. Principe is my councillor and never ceases to embarrass. Her platform during the campaign was literally just a few bullet points with stock photography and no elaboration:

* Defund bike lanes
* Fund the police
* I will donate/refuse my allowances as councillor

Par for the course. Principe is my councillor and never ceases to embarrass. Her platform during the campaign was literally just a few bullet points with stock photography and no elaboration:

* Defund bike lanes
* Fund the police
* I will donate/refuse my allowances as councillor
I wonder if she would be a councillor if her husband was not a media figure.

Back