News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ Little Italy

1673626603876.png

I always find his columns to be debbie downers on Edmonton. How about using your platform to argue for why Edmonton needs funding and why we expect it. I miss Paula Simons.
There is always uncertainty about the future and we tend to focus on that more when elections are imminent. I think being the capital, we also pay more attention to provincial politics.

However, whatever the result, it is not the end all or be all. We are greatly affected by many other things other than who the provincial government is. For instance, the war in Ukraine has caused a great deal of volatility in commodity prices for some of the major commodities we produce in this area. Its far away, but it might have as much of an impact as who wins the Alberta election.

Sorry is this happening in McCauley? I hadn't heard about any of these
Yup, along 95 Street. Paper Birch is already open in 'The Piazza' and Culina is moving in soonish as well into the corner unit where Santos used to be. Violets Shop is open on the other side of 95th where Mile Zero Dance used to be (the front part of the unit as Zocalo expanded into the rear portion).

Some people feel that if they are negatively critical they are providing a service -- they aren't! It is so easy to be critical -- doesn't require much thought or insight. Positive/constructive criticism is much harder to ideate, but those who live by that standard are the real engines for change.
and sometimes the only thing harder than providing constructive criticism - regardless of whether it is positive, negative or neutral - is accepting it as real (noting that even if it’s just perception it’s still real) and then doing something about it instead of simply dismissing it.

I suppose some degree of boosterism is expected of a city councilor and it is nice to read Janz being so positive.

On the one hand, its a good list to remind us various positive things are happening in the city. I agree Stationlands, Rapid Fire Theatre and the Garneau Project will improve the city and their areas in particular. Maybe this is a good way to go about improving the city, one solid project and area at a time.

On the other hand, I notice it includes nothing specific to downtown (yes the Valley Line LRT goes downtown, but that is only part of it). Perhaps the south side focus is in alignment with the councilor's area of interest or focus. Fair enough, I suppose, but with all the general boosterism, I would have also hoped it would have included things from other parts of Edmonton too.

I suppose some degree of boosterism is expected of a city councilor and it is nice to read Janz being so positive.

On the other hand, I notice it includes nothing specific to downtown (yes the Valley Line LRT goes downtown, but that is only part of it). Perhaps the south side focus is in alignment with the councilor's area of interest or focus. Fair enough, I suppose, but with all the general boosterism, I would have also hoped it would have included things from other parts of Edmonton too.

I'd cut the guy a break on this- it's just a personal list of 7 projects he's excited about for various reasons- he even wrote a disclaimer at the beginning.

"As a disclaimer, this is very much a personal list of projects that from neighbourhood conversations that I feel have been overlooked or underrated. I didn't have a particular matrix or scorecard, but decided to profile these projects because I think they represent incremental improvements"

It it helps, he also wrote a column in the journal about the city wide bike plan and funding that was picked up nationally and internationally on social media.

Last edited:
Damn! I was hoping he'd mention some project that we talk about on here that is in the proposal phase going ahead. :D

I'd cut the guy a break on this- it's just a personal list of 7 projects he's excited about for various reasons- he even wrote a disclaimer at the beginning.

"As a disclaimer, this is very much a personal list of projects that from neighbourhood conversations that I feel have been overlooked or underrated. I didn't have a particular matrix or scorecard, but decided to profile these projects because I think they represent incremental improvements"

It it helps, he also wrote a column in the journal about the city wide bike plan and funding that was picked up nationally and internationally on social media.
Probably geared to his constituents

Buildings

-Alldritt Tower announces that they are ready to break ground as well, it will remain 80 stories tall.

Transit

-Valley Line East Finally Opens

-Valley Line West moves much more cohesively/quickly than VLE

-Prairie Link HSR gets approved and funding from Notley. The development will start in 2025.

Transit Wishlist

-Capital Line’s “Ghost Station” gets developed to connect the Museum, Art Gallery, and City Hall to the LRT access.

-An LRT line connecting the Edmonton Garrison to Canada Place gets announced via Highway 28 and 97th Street.

Sports Talk

-Barring significant roster changes, the Oilers are eliminated in round one of the Playoffs. (Not a wish but a prediction).
To add to my wishlist, investors announce their intentions to build The Edmontononian.

Back