News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never implied Chow is corrupt or thats she's coontrolled by the CCP.
So why bring it up at all then?

All I said was if Vincent Ke was being watched, and since his position is (or was) a lot less important than Chow's is (or will be if she's elected), its only logical for CSIS to keep an eye on her.
You're shovelling more BS into the engine of bigotry you're driving down the track here.

As of right now, she's a private citizen. Why does CSIS need to keep an eye on her and not keep an eye on China and their overall influence? Or is this just about keeping an eye on Asian politicians?

Especially since she's NDP
"Especially since she's NDP"?

Yeah, what does that have to do with *anything*?

Especially since she's NDP

Why especially since she's NDP? Because she's ~~far left~~ and that means affinity with "communist" (not really communist, but for the sake of argument, fine) China?

It seems like the CPC has been targeting Liberals more and potentially Conservatives as well. Their strategy if anything seems to be to inflame division between those groups. I'm not sure the NDP is really a focus of theirs from what we've seen, let alone especially so.

If anything I have more faith that Chow would not be influenced than other candidates whether knowingly or unintentionally. For one because I think she has strong principles but also if anything her being born in Hong Kong and having connections there would I think more likely make her anti-CPC than pro and give her a stronger understanding of the CPC's unethical anti-democratic tactics.

And she knows that people will attack her for this kind of stuff and might be more on guard for it vs. other candidates.

Chow is not a "far left" tankie liable to have affinity for the CPC by any means, and I think she has strong personal integrity whatever you think of her politics and ideas.

Of course I'm making assumptions here too. We should probably stop making all these assumptions in this thread in general and some of the assumptions made are really unfounded. There's no reason to be assuming these things and fear mongering about Chow vs. other candidates.

Last edited:
Why especially since she's NDP? Because she's ~~far left~~ and that means affinity with "communist" (not really communist, but for the sake of argument, fine) China?

It seems like the CPC has been targeting Liberals more and potentially Conservatives as well. Their strategy if anything seems to be to inflame division between those groups. I'm not sure the NDP is really a focus of theirs from what we've seen, let alone especially so.

If anything I have more faith that Chow would not be influenced than other candidates whether knowingly or unintentionally. For one because I think she has strong principles but also also if anything her being born in Hong Kong and having connections there would I think more likely make her anti-CPC than pro and give her a stronger understanding of the CPC's unethical anti-democratic tactics.

And she knows that people will attack her for this kind of stuff and might be more on guard for it vs. other candidates.

Chow is not a "far left" tankie liable to have affinity for the CPC by any means, and I think she has strong personal integrity whatever you think of her politics and ideas.

Of course I'm making assumptions here too. We should probably stop making all these assumptions in this thread in general and some of the assumptions made are really unfounded. There's no reason to be assuming these things and fear mongering about Chow vs. other candidates.

Though to be honest I wouldn't say she is completely immune either (it's more an issue of the individuals and groups that may contact her - just like they would with any other elected mayor). But by nature her involvement is with municipal politics - the influence wielded there is less critical than either provincial or federal.

AoD

Oh for sure. The NDP is further to the right than most of the *centrist* parties in Europe.
But also re Overton window-shifting--well, if we have the Liberals as "centre" and NDP "far left", then shouldn't the Conservatives be correspondingly "far right"? Leaving aside the hair-splitting semantics, I'm just addressing relative positioning here. Of course, those responsible for the window-shifting would rather that Conservative be "centre" and Liberal be "moderate left" so as to fulfil the "NDP = far left" framework.

And speaking of "far"-anything and fringiness: let's not forget this statement on Fresco's part...

Advocates for *that* are a fungus on all political forums.

I find those numbers for Bailao suspect. Should they turn out to have some validity it would mean literally every other pollster has been completely wrong.

Yes, something might be in play here.

In the absence of the second/run-off round, opinion polls function as an informal preliminary round. People who dislike candidate X and want X defeated, are likely to abandon their preferred candidate Y if Y is doing poorly in the polls, and switch to candidate Z if Z is doing well in the polls and they believe Z is better than X.

If all polls are honest, then their reports simply reflect the voter preferences.

However, there will be a temptation to twist a report in order to shape those preferences. Unlikely to defeat X if X is a clear front-runner, but very capable of propping Z over Y and helping Z into the second place.

If our government is monitoring/investigating a private citizen because she

1. used to be a politician 8 years ago
2. holds normal, common left-wing views
3. was born near China

then that is a gross misuse of resources and probably racist too.

Of course, they probably aren't doing this and that poster just pulled it out of their ass.

But also re Overton window-shifting--well, if we have the Liberals as "centre" and NDP "far left", then shouldn't the Conservatives be correspondingly "far right"? Leaving aside the hair-splitting semantics, I'm just addressing relative positioning here. Of course, those responsible for the window-shifting would rather that Conservative be "centre" and Liberal be "moderate left" so as to fulfil the "NDP = far left" framework.

And speaking of "far"-anything and fringiness: let's not forget this statement on Fresco's part...

Advocates for *that* are a fungus on all political forums.
Fresco.png

Please post a direct link to where I stated this.

I'll help you out. I never made this post.
You are completely pulling this one out of your rear-end.

I made a screenshot of it so you cant delete your idiotic claim 😃

Fresco.png

Please post a direct link to where I stated this.

I'll help you out. I never made this post.
You are completely pulling this one out of your rear-end.

I made a screenshot of it so you cant delete your idiotic claim 😃
Ah, but it's because the "display post" is different from the post I linked to (for whatever reason--must be a glitch in the system). And besides, that post is benign.

However, if you click onto that display post, (and maybe I was overexpecting others to do so), you'll find the *real* post I was referring to: to presently cut-and-paste *that*...

True but Tory was the PC leader prior to being Mayor.

Things change but political views don't. Once a Conservative, always a Conservative
Err, not always true.
I've gone from being strong conservative to now completely socially liberal, but fiscally still conservative.

What this country needs is a Libertarian party that can compete with our big 3 parties

Uh...really? Other than maybe Neil Reynolds in the 1982 Leeds-Grenville byelection, the Libertarians have *always* been electorally fringe, nationally, provincially. And as per my Neil Reynolds point, their chance was 4 decades ago. They're a relic of the Anchorman 2 or Knoxville World's Fair era. At this point, Libertarians are the political equivalent of a Herb Tarlek or Shadoe Stevens vulgarian.

Of course, Libertarianism *did* wind up surviving by way of electronic social media from the Usenet era onward--but in a way that highlighted their inherent forum-hijacking and forum-killing unpleasantness.

And for you to be blowing the horn for a "Libertarian party that can compete with out big 3 parties" suggests that you've been doing something like that foot-in-the-door pitch in all manner of political forums for, let's say, some time now.

As I said...fungus.

And for you to be blowing the horn for a "Libertarian party that can compete with out big 3 parties" suggests that you've been doing something like that foot-in-the-door pitch in all manner of political forums for, let's say, some time now.

As I said...fungus.
I have been doing something like foot-in-the-door pitch in all manner of political forums??
What the hell does this even mean?? 😂

And who (or what) is a fungus??

If our government is monitoring/investigating a private citizen because she

1. used to be a politician 8 years ago
2. holds normal, common left-wing views
3. was born near China

then that is a gross misuse of resources and probably racist too.

Of course, they probably aren't doing this and that poster just pulled it out of their ass.
Our government watches all politicians, but after Chinese election interference it only makes sense they will watch politicians of Chinese descent a bit more.

They were (or still are) monitoring Han Dong: https://globalnews.ca/news/9504291/...2019-election-candidate-chinese-interference/

Also the Chinese government employs blackmail, bribery and sexual seduction, with the country even enlisting the Bank of China in its foreign-influence activities so they can target corporate executives, academics and vulnerable Chinese Canadians:

Are you saying CSIS is racist for monitoring Chinese-Canadians??

Back