News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no idea how the city is going to get this election running for June but I wish them luck. It take immense planning and logistics work to get an election off running, at least 1+ year of heavy work and that's being modest. But to do a city wide election in less then 4 months?

The city deserves a plaque if everything goes smoothly.

These are not normal circumstances. Normally yes, it would take a year but in this case they have to get the ball rolling rather quickly.

We cannot wait a year or more for Toronto get a mayor. This is not exactly Saskatoon or Whitehorse, we are Canada's largest city and it needs someone at the helm.

I have no idea how the city is going to get this election running for June but I wish them luck. It take immense planning and logistics work to get an election off running, at least 1+ year of heavy work and that's being modest. But to do a city wide election in less then 4 months?

Most likely they'll use the October 24, 2023 general election for the city as a guide. I would expect the same polling locations. If you are looking for a job, look at this link soon.

Toronto City Clerk sets mayoral by-election for Monday, June 26

News Release February 23, 2023

From link.

Toronto City Clerk John D. Elvidge has released the dates for the Mayoral by-election, subject to City Council declaring the vacancy and passing a bylaw requiring a by-election at its meeting March 29 to 31.​
The City Clerk has set the following Mayoral by-election dates:​
  • Nominations will open Monday, April 3 at 8:30 a.m.
  • Nominations will close Friday, May 12 at 2 p.m.
  • Advance voting will take place Thursday, June 8 to Tuesday, June 13
  • By-election will be held Monday, June 26
Electors will also be provided with the option to vote by mail.​
During the March meeting, Council will consider recommendations from the City Clerk to formally declare the Office of Mayor vacant and to pass a bylaw requiring a by-election be held to fill the vacancy. These steps are required by provincial law.​
The timing of the by-election is determined independent of Council by the City Clerk. Under the Municipal Elections Act, the City Clerk fixes nomination day (i.e. close of nominations) between 30 and 60 days after the passing of the bylaw declaring an office vacant. The by-election occurs 45 days after nomination day.​
Although the City Clerk would not ordinarily fix or announce dates in advance of Council passing a bylaw, in this circumstance the City Clerk considers it to be in the best interests of the City, candidates and electors to announce the applicable by-election dates as early as possible. Making the dates public now also allows the City Clerk to start making preparations including hiring election staff and booking voting locations.​
Potential candidates are reminded that under the Municipal Elections Act, a person may not incur campaign expenses or accept campaign contributions until after they have filed nomination papers with the City Clerk.​
From an administrative point of view, a by-election for Mayor of Toronto requires the same efforts as a general election. The City Clerk will conduct the June 26 by-election in a similar manner to the October 24, 2022 general election.​
The estimated budget for the by-election is approximately $13 million compared to the actual expenses of $14.5 million for the October 24, 2022 general election.
A Backgrounder on the City of Toronto mayoral transition process is available on the City’s media room webpage (opens in new window).​
Toronto is home to more than three million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information visit the City’s website or follow us on Twitter (opens in new window), Instagram (opens in new window)or Facebook (opens in new window).​
Media Relations​

The cost of $13 million likely includes inflation since October.

Last edited:

In fairness, the City Elections Office was able to work around Doug Ford's last minute cut to the wards after the election period was called. I have confidence the office will pull it off for June.

Some good news...

Former councillor Minnan-Wong says he won’t run for mayor

From link.

image.jpg

Former city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong says he will not be running for mayor in the upcoming byelection to replace John Tory.

Minnan-Wong, who served on council for many years, had previously said that he was considering a run following Tory’s sudden resignation.

A fiscal conservative, Minnan-Wong had been an ally Mayor Tory when he was on council.
In a statement released Thursday afternoon, he said that over the past 10 days he has received unsolicited support and encouragement from many people to run for mayor.

However he said that in politics, “timing is everything.”

“Running for mayor and what comes next would materially affect the time I could spend with my young family. Children are only young once, and I don’t want to miss any more significant parts of their lives,” Minnan-Wong wrote. “As a result, I have decided not to put my name forward for the upcoming byelection for mayor of the city of Toronto.”

The city sent out a release Thursday setting a date of June 26 for the byelection, with nominations for candidates open until 2 p.m. on May 12.

Others who have said they are exploring a bid include MPP Mitzie Hunter and former police chief Mark Saunders. Several current councillors are also said to be contemplating a run for the mayor’s office.

Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie, who has assumed some of the powers and responsibilities of the mayor for the time being, has said firmly that she will not run for the job herself.

See also this link.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong was a TTC Commissioner. However, he was replaced by Councillor Stephen Holyday as TTC Commissioner.

We're stuck with Ford as Premier until at least 2026. The NDP will never again gain power, and the Liberals remain in disarray. Until the NDP steps away and the Libs step up the OPCs will run the show into 2030.

Never say ever. NDP managed to win in Alberta after all. We'll see what Marit can do this upcoming election. I don't see the liberals picking anyone competent.

For the progressive left, there is no doubt in my mind that Mike Layton is their best choice.

Funny enough, I didn't vote for him in 2010 when I lived in then-Trinity Spadina. I thought he was running on his father's coattails and didn't think his resume at the time was very impressive. However, three terms later I think he proved himself to be the strongest of the progressive members on council. He was principled while still being solutions-oriented. He was very policy-oriented on council and committee while still being in tune with constituent matters. With a bold platform, I could see him gaining support among the David Miller coalition in 2003, or using a more recent example, 2018 ONDP voters, with large support in the central city and clusters of strength in the inner-suburbs of Scarborough and York.

Layton recently said he's undecided, less than a year after stating he wouldn't run for re-election of his council seat so he could spend more time with family. Still, I always suspected he would make a return to office, maybe provincial or federal, down the line. I feel Tory's resignation is an opportunity too big to turn down.

I don't think Mike Layton is a very likeable guy. He's no Jack, so to speak. He speaks to a certain class of person, but feels awkward watching him talk to the everyday person. I also found he often came across as a "gotcha" debater on city council, with a little bit of a temper when someone had a different opinion than he did. He would struggle with the more labour/union left in Toronto that Andrea in 18' and his father were so easily able to have.

I really like this, today, from Keenan. He said it for me.

Current potential candidates are all uninspiring, except for Peñalosa, and I do wish he presented a tad better. So I’m a little worried at this point.

Honestly, peeps, we’ve been mayorless since 2010. Rob Ford was just a disruptor, an “occupant” of the office, and Tory wasn’t a mayor. He was a bean-counter totally bereft of imagination.

We need a galvanizing centre-leftist who isn’t afraid to dream out loud,

The left has to unite around a credible candidate -- and that means either Layton or Matlow. In a short campaign, you've got to be able organize and fundraise fast. Only an experienced politician can pull of that kind of effort. As well meaning as he is, Penalosa won't be able to pull it off. He should drop out now, or else he's going to split the progressive vote and hand it to a Ford-backed candidate.

For the progressive left, there is no doubt in my mind that Mike Layton is their best choice.

Funny enough, I didn't vote for him in 2010 when I lived in then-Trinity Spadina. I thought he was running on his father's coattails and didn't think his resume at the time was very impressive. However, three terms later I think he proved himself to be the strongest of the progressive members on council. He was principled while still being solutions-oriented. He was very policy-oriented on council and committee while still being in tune with constituent matters. With a bold platform, I could see him gaining support among the David Miller coalition in 2003, or using a more recent example, 2018 ONDP voters, with large support in the central city and clusters of strength in the inner-suburbs of Scarborough and York.

Layton recently said he's undecided, less than a year after stating he wouldn't run for re-election of his council seat so he could spend more time with family. Still, I always suspected he would make a return to office, maybe provincial or federal, down the line. I feel Tory's resignation is an opportunity too big to turn down.
I worked with Mike on some things over the years and always liked his style. I am confident that at some point, he will make a move. I don’t know if this is the point given how recently he stepped back and the age of his girls.

Last edited:
What would a left leaning mayoral candidate promise? Higher property taxes, road tolls, lower police budgets, more social housing and shelters, bike lanes and transit? What’s a left leaning candidate?
David Miller promised Transit City. Then he abandoned us,

Back