News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Tory has named his preferred candidate in the election to succeed him, despite previously declaring he would stay out of the race.

The former Toronto mayor confirmed to the Star on Wednesday that he will endorse Ana Bailão in Monday’s byelection. Bailão, a former councillor for Davenport, served as one of his deputy mayors.

Her campaign is expected to issue a formal statement Wednesday afternoon.

What bothers me here is not his choosing to endorse someone, its that he publicly stated he would not, and now has.

Same pattern Deputy Mayor McKelvie followed.

What bothers me here is not his choosing to endorse someone, its that he publicly stated he would not, and now has.

Tory also said he would only run two terms.

I’m not sure what impact the endorsement will have on Bailao’s support.

On the one hand, people have largely tuned out of the election, and might only be making their decision now. On the other hand, weather is getting nicer and families are preparing for the holidays, so the late endorsement might not make much of a difference.

Reactions: PL1

.... and Mr Ford himself. I put it down to fact they are scared Chow will (easily) win.

This is pretty late in the game for a Tory endorsement, I wonder how much it will pump Bailao's numbers.

If Chow does win, and Dofo rescinds the "strong mayor" powers he was previously so hot-to-trot for - or tries to, at least - there's no way the optics for that are going to be anything but terrible. I could see him doing it. He's that petty.

And speaking of Ford (and Tory), I wonder if there's anything to the speculation some of us were engaging in that the real reason Tory resigned was that Thug learned of Tory's affair and tried to blackmail him. If there is something to that, does Tory have any reason to remain quiet about it? Apart from the obvious, natch, i.e. Ford's legendary vindictiveness towards perceived enemies and his almost certain-to-follow efforts at revenge against Tory for not keeping his mouth shut.

I'm no fan of Bailao, but I'm going to count these late endorsements as good news. They are too late to affect Chow's chances of winning, but they could help bleed support from Saunders and hopefully eliminate him as a contender in 2026. A third or fourth place finish might be enough to embarrass him out of politics forever. I can dream.

John Tory has named his preferred candidate in the election to succeed him, despite previously declaring he would stay out of the race.

The former Toronto mayor confirmed to the Star on Wednesday that he will endorse Ana Bailão in Monday’s byelection. Bailão, a former councillor for Davenport, served as one of his deputy mayors.

Her campaign is expected to issue a formal statement Wednesday afternoon.

Excellent, she can own his failures then.

AoD

Screenshot_20230621-141537.png

With continued support from Ford as well in the media, we have a split vote for the stop chow camp(s).

If Chow does win, and Dofo rescinds the "strong mayor" powers he was previously so hot-to-trot for - or tries to, at least - there's no way the optics for that are going to be anything but terrible. I could see him doing it. He's that petty.
He doesn't need to rescind them. Most of the powers require the use to align with provincial priorities.

Polls showed he'd easily win if he ran again.

So? He resigned. A poll testing a hypothetical doesn’t tell you much except that Tory was familiar and the incumbent. His last minute endorsement once again demonstrates that his whole “integrity” schtick was just performative.

Back