News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She doesn’t have to resign to run. Zero risk.

There's a post from just a couple of pages ago that says MPs and MPPs do have to resign though.

Note for MPs, MPPs and senators​

If you are an MP, MPP or senator, you may file your nomination for municipal or school board office without resigning your current seat in parliament, the legislature or the senate. However, you must resign your seat by the close of nominations. If you are a federal or provincial cabinet minister, you must step down from cabinet prior to filing your nomination and must resign your seat by the close of nominations.

If you have not resigned by nomination day, your nomination will be rejected and your name will not appear on the ballot.

I chatted with my city hall staffer friend last night. He works for a progressive councillor. One name that has popped up among some lefty circles is Olivia Chow.

Personally, I think this is a bad choice. Yes, she has name recognition, but her 2014 campaign was very uninspiring. Even if she took a cue from 9 years ago and ran on a more bold and ambitious platform, I think she comes off as "yesterday's candidate."

I chatted with my city hall staffer friend last night. He works for a progressive councillor. One name that has popped up among some lefty circles is Olivia Chow.

Personally, I think this is a bad choice. Yes, she has name recognition, but her 2014 campaign was very uninspiring. Even if she took a cue from 9 years ago and ran on a more bold and ambitious platform, I think she comes off as "yesterday's candidate."
LOL! What a joke. Is politics like superhero movies where characters don't stay dead anymore? That ship has long since sailed.

Yes, it takes time to clear things when a lot of snow comes down at once. This seems to escape the impatient.

Yes, it takes time to clear things when a lot of snow comes down at once. This seems to escape the impatient.
In Mississauga, the MUP I live on was plowed last night better than the road was.

In Sweden, they clear walkways and bike paths first, especially those near bus stops and primary schools. Next, they clear local roads, and then, finally, highways.

See https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sweden-snow-clearing-gender-ottawa-1.4500636

Doesn't help when the decision-makers (AKA bureaucrats, councillors, mayor, and their puppet-master the Premier of Ontario) do not walk, do not cycle, and/or do not use public transit.

Last edited:
LOL! What a joke. Is politics like superhero movies where characters don't stay dead anymore? That ship has long since sailed.
John Tory returned from the political dead and won...
Let's make this a seven horse race!
Is George Smitherman still out there somewhere?
What about Jane Pitfield?
Is Susan Eng still alive?

Last edited:
In Mississauga, the MUP I live on was plowed last night better than the road was.
Ya, the sidewalk here was cleared before the roads were. But people want to take any example they can find to use a a cludge to claim they are the victims, hoping no one notices it's an irregular sidewalk that takes longer to clear than a standard width one.

When there is a pothole, the councillors will make it top priority to be filled.

When there is a snow windrow at your closest transit stop, the councillors will come to see it in April.

Better hurry! The bus is just coming now to the bus stop...
1678038233796.png
From link.
Boy, this snow windrow is big! Oh darn, my Presto card is in my shirt pocket.

So It's Monday, I'm all about patience, and not going for a walk the day of a storm and expecting a smooth totally cleared sidewalk, but it's over 48h+ after a storm, and major street sidewalks (Dundas Street near Islington in Etobicoke) are un-walkable. I guess it's the residents fault who aren't removing snow in front of their houses? Whose responsibility is it to remove the snow infront of Montgomery Inn (Rotary Toronto) at Islington&Dundas ? Every year this part of the sidewalk is NEVER ploughed (plowed?) - not sure it's a city property.

^Not sure what this has to do with the by-election, but the city wont begin snow removal operations across the city until tonight.

Let's be thankful John Tory didnt cut that in the budget, and spared us from another sad piece of his sad mayoralty legacy.

So It's Monday, I'm all about patience, and not going for a walk the day of a storm and expecting a smooth totally cleared sidewalk, but it's over 48h+ after a storm, and major street sidewalks (Dundas Street near Islington in Etobicoke) are un-walkable. I guess it's the residents fault who aren't removing snow in front of their houses? Whose responsibility is it to remove the snow infront of Montgomery Inn (Rotary Toronto) at Islington&Dundas ? Every year this part of the sidewalk is NEVER ploughed (plowed?) - not sure it's a city property.

FWIW, Birchmount Road in Scarborough (between Willowmount and St Clair West Side) has not had the sidewalks plowed at all since the snow started Saturday.

I actually have to walk on the road to get to the bus stop and in doing so, slipped and fell this morning on a patch of melted and refrozen snow. I am fine but I made sure 311 and my councilor were aware.

FWIW, Birchmount Road in Scarborough (between Willowmount and St Clair West Side) has not had the sidewalks plowed at all since the snow started Saturday.

I actually have to walk on the road to get to the bus stop and in doing so, slipped and fell this morning on a patch of melted and refrozen snow. I am fine but I made sure 311 and my councilor were aware.
The city should be clearing, not just plowing, the snow windrows at corners at intersections, transit stops, and crosswalks.

If the sidewalks are not cleared (not just plowed) of snow, forcing pedestrians onto the roadway, that itself is a good reason for all Toronto streets to be 30 km/h. If there are cleared sidewalks, then we can look at increasing the speed limits, and only then.

If there are no sidewalks on any street, then put up 30 km/h speed limit signs. Would be better if the streets in question were redesigned for the safety of pedestrians, and not as they are currently designed for "safety" of speeders.

Last edited:
The city should be clearing, no just plowing, the snow windrows at corners at intersections, transit stops, and crosswalks.
One follows the other. If you want them to do it all in one go, you're going to have a lot worse conditions for a lot longer to make that happen. Which I'm sure would create even more complaints that snowstorms aren't cleared in 15 mins.

Back