News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While it's through his spokesperson, this makes it appear Tory is not stepping down. No mention of a transition.

1676402480925.png

Just wanted to note the sad alignment of Ana Bailão with Nick Kouvalis:

If, or when, there is a mayoral byelection — Tory has yet to submit his resignation papers to start the 60-day countdown to an election call — Kouvalis said he would help Ana Bailão, a Liberal former councillor.

“Doug Ford is smart to stay out of the race. There really is no difference between Brad Bradford and Josh Matlow,” said Kouvalis, referring to Matlow, the Toronto-St. Paul’s councillor who also is planning a bid.

“They both voted to defund the police and to make the bike lanes permanent on Yonge Street,” he said.

“Ana Bailão has 12 years experience and four years as deputy mayor. She has great relationships at the city of Toronto, at the federal level with the Trudeau government and the Ford government provincially,” the veteran strategist added.

“She will focus on real issues such as fighting crime, cost of living, and housing affordability — unlike some of these juniors who are preoccupied with renaming streets, building bike lanes, and defunding the police.”

Bailão was my councillor and she got some good stuff done for the city despite some issues I had with some of her actions and inaction, but how can she continue to claim to be a good, honest politician for the whole of the city while being aligned with Kouvalis and having him say stuff like this in her support? Depressing.

Why would anyone work with and trust a hypothetical Mayor Bailão if her dishonest, overtly and deliberately unkind operative Kouvalis is going to go around disrespectfully calling people who disagree "juniors" and and acting like this making bad faith attacks against this and slamming people for voting for bike lanes. (?!?! So would a hypothetical Mayor Bailão not support bike lanes? I'm going to need her comment on this — Kouvalis is not helping her win votes here unless she's going for the anti-bike lane own the libs crowd.) Not to mention his track record of how awful he's been in the past.

What does it say about one's direction and the viability and honourableness of your leadership if you look around and your main ally is Kouvalis and this is what he's saying in order to advocate for you to be mayor?

Last edited:
Interesting that Kory Teneycke is backing Bradford while Nick Kouvalis is behind Ana Bailao.

A split centre/centre-right ticket will be something Doug Ford will try and avoid.

This is funny because after the 2018 election, Kouvalis had a whole twitter thread boasting about how he won Bradford the election against the left-wing candidate. Since then Bradford has been completely loyal to Tory and the conservative block in the council, including during the 2022 election. Wonder what changed and Kouvalis prefers Bailao.

This is funny because after the 2018 election, Kouvalis had a whole twitter thread boasting about how he won Bradford the election against the left-wing candidate. Since then Bradford has been completely loyal to Tory and the conservative block in the council, including during the 2022 election. Wonder what changed and Kouvalis prefers Bailao.

I suspect it's campaign strategist-politics. A lot of ego involved. Half of Warren Kinsella's tweets are about how much better he is than other Liberal strategists.

What does it say about one's direction and the viability and honourableness of your leadership if you look around and your main ally is Kouvalis and this is what he's saying in order to advocate for you to be mayor?
It says they are smart enough to hire the person most likely to help them win.

It says they are smart enough to hire the person most likely to help them win.

1) People and especially our leaders should have standards of not working with and giving powerful influence on our society to overtly and deliberately awful, toxic people. I guess you don't agree, but that's how I think people should try to be in society. Ethical standards for our society's leaders, what a concept.

2) Do you think Kouvalis is helping Bailão here by being so toxic (which for all the criticisms I would have of her, is not her brand or a good way to win a popular mandate unless you are aiming for the "the cruelty is the point" crowd, which is not her traditional voter-base) and spilling out with all this anti-bike lane stuff and associating her with it? If nothing else even if you have no standards for what kind of people you work with, he's a belligerent loose canon and a liability and makes her look bad by association and undermines her with the kind of people who she's built her support on and the kind of voters she'd need to win. And for what? What is he offering here? I disagree with the idea that he's an asset for her.

Last edited:
2) Do you think Kouvalis is helping Bailão here by being so toxic (which for all the criticisms I would have of her, is not her brand or a good way to win a popular mandate unless you are aiming for the "the cruelty is the point" crowd, which is not her traditional voter-base) and spilling out with all this anti-bike lane stuff and associating her with it? If nothing else even if you have no standards for what kind of people you work with, he's a belligerent loose canon and a liability and makes her look bad by association and undermines her with the kind of people who she's built her support on and the kind of voters she'd need to win. And for what? What is he offering here? I disagree with the idea that he's an asset for her.
I don't think he harms her in any way with people who are not already set on voting against her.
He's helped the last two Mayors win their election, that's the benefit. Most voters will have no idea who he is or that he's working for her.

15 Min cities is the latest conspiracy du jour for the right wing.
I imagine it will be heavily avoided.

Back