News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A yellow card is needed to separate things and make it clear as day. All around. Until then, it's not good enough. Free rides are everywhere.
I'm not even trolling, I am actually quite serious about the kids having a different coloured card.
It boggles my mind, because you're clearly not realizing that if no one is there to check the fare type being used is child or adult, it *doesn't matter*. The card could be covered in sparkles and on fire.

Again, it's a staffing issue, not a card colour issue. Fare inspection is not done by looking at a card. Your card literally gets scanned. Get off at Union from one of the QQ streetcars on a busy weekend and you'll soon find that out.

Also, opening up different card colours for different fare types means eventually, some conservative will call for ODSP cards to be coloured differently as well, in case someone is getting them for cheap and selling them for less than regular price. Or "you don't look like you're under 13/a student/a senior". For what it's worth, my friend's 10 year old is now almost 5''3". You have no idea how often they have to deal with that kind of BS.

It boggles my mind, because you're clearly not realizing that if no one is there to check the fare type being used is child or adult, it *doesn't matter*. The card could be covered in sparkles and on fire.

Again, it's a staffing issue, not a card colour issue. Fare inspection is not done by looking at a card. Your card literally gets scanned. Get off at Union from one of the QQ streetcars on a busy weekend and you'll soon find that out.

Also, opening up different card colours for different fare types means eventually, some conservative will call for ODSP cards to be coloured differently as well, in case someone is getting them for cheap and selling them for less than regular price. Or "you don't look like you're under 13/a student/a senior". For what it's worth, my friend's 10 year old is now almost 5''3". You have no idea how often they have to deal with that kind of BS.
It's a card colour issue because the inspectors are busy enough and have no choice but to say "Yeah you're okay" to too many people.
With the yellow card it forces the adult to look foolish. The card IS being checked, but the chances of cards being checked are higher if the child's card is a yellow.
Trust me, I know. I just know. The kids cards need to be a bright shiny yellow so in busy situations adults who normally do not get caught will now be caught.
"may I see your card please" "okay thanks for using ttc..." just for seeing a presto card? COME ON!! That is how it is in very busy situations but with the yellow card the adult has no choice but to show that card.
As for ODSP it is a very good system right now, but the cards need to come from the actual ODSP office.

It's a card colour issue because the inspectors are busy enough and have no choice but to say "Yeah you're okay" to too many people.
With the yellow card it forces the adult to look foolish. The card IS being checked, but the chances of cards being checked are higher if the child's card is a yellow.
Trust me, I know. I just know. The kids cards need to be a bright shiny yellow so in busy situations adults who normally do not get caught will now be caught.
"may I see your card please" "okay thanks for using ttc..." just for seeing a presto card? COME ON!! That is how it is in very busy situations but with the yellow card the adult has no choice but to show that card.
And the part you've missed that in those cases, that dishonest person can just have an adult card with zero funds/passes on it to flash.

Your idea stands up to zero scrutiny, and only serves to add costs to a system that's already underfunded..

It really seems like *you* want to know who's using kids cards.

You've also obviously never been in any of the fare inspection lines I have. I've seen them check every damn person getting off a streetcar at Spadina, so don't think it doesn't happen.

It really seems like *you* want to know who's using kids cards.
I do apologize for coming across as what's good enough for me is good enough for everybody, but that's not the intent. The intent is to separate the cards. If someone has an adult card in the first place it gets checked for tap or no tap.
Most cheating fare adults will only have the yellow card on them, if not, then the card still gets checked eventually...but by the time it gets checked, it's cheaper to pay the fine than it is to pay the fare(s).
I'm just trying to do something about it.

Last edited:
I do apologize for coming across as what's good enough for me is good enough for everybody, but that's not the intent. The intent is to separate the cards. If someone has an adult card in the first place it gets checked for tap or no tap.
Most cheating fare adults will only have the yellow card on them,

I quite doubt that actually. I'm willing to bet if someone's willing to be that dishonest, they likely have a backup plan.

, if not, then the card still gets checked eventually...but by the time it gets checked, it's cheaper to pay the fine than it is to pay the fare.
I'm just trying to do something about it.

There's zero good reason to do that though. It costs all of $5.05$6.05 to get a brand new adult fare presto card with a $0.05 balance. If someone wants to game the system, it's easy enough and cheap enough for them to do. If you want to solve that problem, you need more people checking those cards and more employees in general around to catch them being used.

Or (radical idea here, being implemented more and more across the globe), you just make the TTC completely free and 100% government funded. Then the costs of fare inspectors, the bureaucracy and legal fees associated with fare evasion go away completely. In addition to potentiallyvery likely lowering costs associated with car use like road maintenance, pedestrian-related accidents, costs of towing and enforcing parking infractions, general road congestion cost on the economy, pollution-related health problem, noise pollution, etc.

Much like a Universal Basic Income, we know exactly how to solve certain problems. Unfortunately, some people who insist on defining themselves as "taxpayers" don't like the idea of stuff like that being free (of course, never acknowledging that the roads they regularly drive on are also "free"), regardless of whether they actually cost less in the long run.

Some people really want to slender Ana Bailao and those supporting her. On the Wiki page for the election, someone marked down an unnecessary blurb about Paul Ainslie under the endorsement section.

IMG_7742.jpeg

I'm posting this ITT because it is relevant since councillors and future mayor will have to vote on this

Doug Ford says Science Centre site will get school or community centre​

I'm posting this ITT because it is relevant since councillors and future mayor will have to vote on this

Doug Ford says Science Centre site will get school or community centre​

I posted this in the OP thread as well, and offered my thoughts:

As for ODSP it is a very good system right now, but the cards need to come from the actual ODSP office.
You'd think there is a psychological deterrent if it is obvious the cards are different.

Back