News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are these QR voting cards actually a thing? The election flyer that was delivered to us mentions nothing about it, and I can't find any info about that on https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/ . Lots of mentions of mail-in voting though.
I could have sworn CP24 said they would have online voting for this election, but I could be wrong.

We'll see in a month or two

I could have sworn CP24 said they would have online voting for this election, but I could be wrong.

We'll see in a month or two
First I ever heard of it - though it's a good idea! As they are planning advance polls I doubt they will aslo have e-voting.

I live outside of the city in suburbia, and we have had online voting for the last two municipal elections. It did not increase voter turnout. I believe we hit 35% last fall. 😡 That was with a combination of advanced, online and in person. I worked at the polls and ended up reading my book for much of the day.

I live outside of the city in suburbia, and we have had online voting for the last two municipal elections. It did not increase voter turnout. I believe we hit 35% last fall. 😡 That was with a combination of advanced, online and in person. I worked at the polls and ended up reading my book for much of the day.
Serious question: How is online voting safeguarded against manipulation? Seems incredibly risky to me

Same questions for paper ballots. Or for anything online.

I am quite confident that the municipalities are using secure systems.

Same questions for paper ballots. Or for anything online.

I am quite confident that the municipalities are using secure systems.
Paper ballots can be physically safe-guarded and can be counted and recounted under supervision, in a process that is transparent to all interested parties. I don't see how online voting could possibly have this degree of security and transparency. "Just trust us" isn't good enough, it has to be publicly verifiable.

Online voting, if I recall correctly, was piloted in some municipalities a few years back and has since been introduced to additional municipalities. I believe over half of Ontario’s municipalities used it last year with some using it exclusively. I would expect that before deciding to go ahead, questions regarding security, verification, etc were addressed. At any event, Toronto isn’t using it for this election, although you can vote by mail … which also raises questions around how do you know if the intended voter actually cast the ballot?

... which also raises questions around how do you know if the intended voter actually cast the ballot?

That is extremely difficult without in-person ID verification, but we've already decided that it isn't necessary as mail-in ballots have the exact same issue. Any person who opens that envelope may vote, whether their name is on the envelope or not. We assume Canada Post employee ethics and mail-fraud laws are sufficient for this mechanism.

Making online voting match the security of mail-in ballots is fairly simple: mail the registered person a printed single-use vote-key, in the form of a QR code, which allows the person who opens the envelope to make the vote. The backend knows that the vote-key voted once and only once. There should be no record of which vote-key was sent to which household to ensure voting remains anonymous.

That said, mailing the vote package back in seems sufficient to me.

Last edited:
I really cannot understand people (like Bradford, appear to be reasonably sensible) who think they can keep pretending that all the changes they propose can be accomplished if taxes are not increased. The choice is more taxes or fewer services and they need to be 'encouraged' to say which it is and what they will cut if they are not going to increase taxes. (Yes, the idea of efficiencies' has been proven to be myth by many outside 'audits'.)
Not defending Brad, but I'm sure a search of the TPS couch cushions could garner a couple tens of millions.

Reactions: DSC

Back